It followed me home (Part 2)

Nice! I am going to put an order in soon. I asked him about a TT puget that was mint, that I saw on one of his videos but he was keeping it. Said he would keep an eye out for me though!

Wow I simply love the lines of the puget axes. I have a kelly Vulcan (the only puget I have). I would love to have a Sager. Maybe one day haha. On another note...

This little guy followed me home from the hospital. He was 6 pounds 18” long! I found this little no name hatchet and thought it would make a great first hatchet!! He is going to love him some axes

Congrats!

ljPmiFt.jpg
d8VghIu.jpg

i'v sent mr. buckin billy ray a few things over the past couple years, he's decided to repay the favor.

in case you can't see it, it's a sager, maybe 4 pounds, on a 35" padouk handle. i know it's not a very resilient wood so this one's a wall hanger

say what you want about his techniques but dont ever say he's a bad guy

I think I saw him do that Sager in a video but I may be mistaken.

Now i probably wouldn't do some things the way he does, but he definitely seems like a real great guy.

ljPmiFt.jpg
d8VghIu.jpg

i'v sent mr. buckin billy ray a few things over the past couple years, he's decided to repay the favor.

in case you can't see it, it's a sager, maybe 4 pounds, on a 35" padouk handle. i know it's not a very resilient wood so this one's a wall hanger

Very cool Phantomknives!

What I was expecting from JB:

Can’t.Hook
by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

What arrived lol (I just realized that there was a splitting maul head that didn’t make it in the picture…):

Surprises
Me: “Hey JB, I like that cant hook collar/shroud. I’ve got the rest of one minus that piece”

JB: “Great, it’s inbound”

Me: “Thank you! Looking forward to it!”

JB:

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1bqhnmo3w4u8ssc88gsscw0o0_640.gif

I am especially interested in the small Jersey head. It weighs 3lbs 10.25oz and takes a boy’s axe sized handle… very cool. Here it is for comparison sitting on a ridge eye Jersey that weighs less:

Jersette

It is quite mushroomed at the poll and top of the eye but that is not an issue for me- especially since it was not in the negotiations (thank you again). I actually don’t mind reviving old “Sharp Hammers” if the rest of them is sound. It will sing again. In fact as of right now it is about 1.5oz lighter…

“Surf’s up!”

Mushrooms

What I was expecting from JB:

Can’t.Hook

What arrived lol (I just realized that there was a splitting maul head that didn’t make it in the picture…):

Surprises
Me: “Hey JB, I like that cant hook collar/shroud. I’ve got the rest of one minus that piece”

JB: “Great, it’s inbound”

Me: “Thank you! Looking forward to it!”

JB:

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1bqhnmo3w4u8ssc88gsscw0o0_640.gif

I am especially interested in the small Jersey head. It weighs 3lbs 10.25oz and takes a boy’s axe sized handle… very cool. Here it is for comparison sitting on a ridge eye Jersey that weighs less:

Jersette

It is quite mushroomed at the poll and top of the eye but that is not an issue for me- especially since it was not in the negotiations (thank you again). I actually don’t mind reviving old “Sharp Hammers” if the rest of them is sound. It will sing again. In fact as of right now it is about 1.5oz lighter…

“Surf’s up!”

Mushrooms
Empty space in a flat rate box bothers me, and I seem to have an abundant crop of metal. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I don't know anything about working properties of Padauk but Billy Ray knows how to select for good grain orientation. No point hanging this beast on the wall unless it's between work-outs.

I just did something out of the norm and *gasp* paid $40 for a tool at an antique store. The regular hatchet was $10. I have not put an ID on it yet. Is this a mortising tool? It looks similar but not exactly like others that I have seen. For as short as the bit is, it is still fairly convex.

IMG_20180222_121103 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Looks like an ice axe without the pick end.
Anything is possible, but I lean towards it not being that. It is shorter than most and without the slight downward angle. There is no evidence of a removed spike although I suppose it didn't have to have one. The handle is also more of an old fashioned hewing hatchet style. But it came from a big lot (one owner) among many other of hand carpentry tools. It also has the owners name on the handle. That proves nothing, but it was common in the trades. I have no smoking gun but a bunch of hints.

Back