It followed me home (Part 2)

I'll be the first to admit falling short of getting my "Paul Bunyan Award" in BSA when I was 14, but if they gave such awards to adults.... My Axe collection is small... If I count my splitting mauls and my Estwing I have only six... Perhaps I should buy more?

Last edited:
My family went by to wish my father-in-law a happy Father's day today. He had found out a few months back that I enjoyed working on old axes and had looked around his old shop and found several which he gave me today. Two woodslasher db, one knotklipper db, one Collins sb, one ?? M db, and a bush axe blade. Should keep me busy for a while.
https://flic.kr/p/2gfeGKS

That Knot Klipper with the paint still on it is an incredible find

I spent the weekend driving through southeast Oregon - because that's where ya go to escape the heat ;)
I did pick up some interesting things along the way. Here is a Columbian post vise I picked up in Prineville that needs some attention and maybe a throw out bearing to replace the screw box washer. Luckily, the thrust washer is intact (those are harder to fabricate). I'm not sure what happened to the bulb on the screw box but if it isn't necessary then it's workable.

High Plains Treasure

Residents

High Plains Treasure

And a Rope Master No 210T snatch box pulley that was in my brother's barn that he wants cleaned up.
High Plains Treasure

High Plains Treasure

I spent the weekend driving through southeast Oregon - because that's where ya go to escape the heat ;)
I did pick up some interesting things along the way. Here is a Columbian post vise I picked up in Prineville that needs some attention and maybe a throw out bearing to replace the screw box washer. Luckily, the thrust washer is intact (those are harder to fabricate). I'm not sure what happened to the bulb on the screw box but if it isn't necessary then it's workable.

High Plains Treasure

Residents

High Plains Treasure

And a Rope Master No 210T snatch box pulley that was in my brother's barn that he wants cleaned up.
High Plains Treasure

High Plains Treasure
That vice will be worth the effort. :thumbsup:
I didn't even notice that snake down there when I stopped for a refreshment on the manure spreader....

At my son's on Sunday. Hadn't been there very long when my son got this twinkle in his eye and said "go sit down dad, I've got something for you". He left the room for a moment and returned with something loosely wrapped in some plain paper and handed it to me. I had no clue.

"Cut to the chase", this is what followed me home:

What a surprise!

Sharp too.

Seems my son has a friend at work, whose hobby is blacksmithing, who repurposed a mason hammer for it.

Also made the hickory handle with his own draw knife.

Bob

That vice will be worth the effort. :thumbsup:
I didn't even notice that snake down there when I stopped for a refreshment on the manure spreader....

I just ordered a clutch throw out bearing for a rig from the 70’s (read that the older ones were a better fit for the vises) to try to replace the damaged one. If it doesn’t work then I might have to conscript someone to fix the existing one. They are beveled on the inside.

Oh, G garry3 the snake is ceramic. That didn’t stop my brother from spooking me pretty good with it... he’s a funny guy, just ask him...
We did see several well-fed ones outside Burns that came out after dark to lay on the roads.

Maybe regional think I remember reading they were imported by a west coast hardware store.Made by gransfors was the thinking?

I think some may have been imported and some were Collins/Mann (if I remember correctly). Being regional definitely might have something to do with how many I find around here. If anything, I find the Forest King swamping pattern frequently. I just have a thing for cruisers in general.

I haven't found any axes lately, but the last time to the flea market I found a cant hook
(which is If I remember the nomenclature correctly) is a Peavy with a stand, a lot of people looked at and the dealer had a $10 sign taped to it and when I walked up he said if you can tell me what it is it's your's for $5, I answered, handed him a $5 bill and carried it to my truck, but only after telling him I'd also take the $10 bucket of plastic and aluminum felling wedges...
I live in PA so there isn't the recent history of Logging culture, this is coal mining country.

At a garage sale you are more likely to find an old blasting machine than a used Chainsaw

Last edited:
Until recently (a decade or so) I thought Greenlee was the name for a specific type of sheet metal punch, I was unaware that they actually made other tools, but then again I have several thousand dollars worth of "Chassis Punches", but it seems very reasonable to me now that they make lots of other stuff (SFAIK electrical tools, I.E. Strippers/Crimpers/Conduit benders

I just ordered a clutch throw out bearing for a rig from the 70’s (read that the older ones were a better fit for the vises) to try to replace the damaged one. If it doesn’t work then I might have to conscript someone to fix the existing one. They are beveled on the inside.

I took my thrust bearing in to the local NAPA store and had them match up the size with a heavy throw out bearing. Vise is smooth and easy to open with the throw out bearing. The old thrust bearing can stick especially if they're old and pitted.

Back