It followed me home (Part 2)

I know this isn't the right place but it follows to put it here. I just finished the Bigelow & Dowse axe. 4 coats of cold blue. Lots of polishing with 000 steel wool in between coats. Angle of grind is 24° inclusive. Before; View attachment 1149044

After;
TQ6totv.jpg

wwrLky8.jpg

jQ3Say0.jpg

I'm beat.. Been working on this off and on (mostly on) since 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon... I'm happy with it! Have a good day all!
6UC7NKc.jpg

Wow! Seriously nice job Josh!!! It looks amazing, absolutely fantastic!

Saw this hanging in my grandfather's garage yesterday and asked him about it. He picked it up at a swap meet for a few bucks and asked if I wanted it. Score! I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for a while now. How do you think I should restore it? Polish the head or leave the patina? Try to salvage the handle or make / buy a new one?

Norlund saddle cruiser

Polish the head or leave the patina? Try to salvage the handle or make / buy a new one?

There's no right or wrong answer to this. It's really about personal preference. I like the patina'd look because it says "use me". Once you polish it it's a wall hanger.

The haft looks sound. I'd re-use it. It could be sanded down and re-finished for a polished or patina'd head. There are instructions here for how to save a haft.

Another finish option is to clean it up and blue it. It's a good look.

Spotted 3 like this yesterday. One was in good shape the other 2 a split or two in the handle. I think they wanted $15, and $10.

I don't know if it changes your opinion of the date(i mean it's age) but it is all one piece. View attachment 1138430 View attachment 1138438
That's what led me to believe it at least could be that old. Were they making shovels like this in 1942 still? For some reason I figured they'd all be socket type by then. I'm putting together the shovel thread post soon. Working on that ash handle while I've daylight left. :thumbsup:

Reactions: A17
The U.S.S. TEXAS, wow that's cool. What does the book depict or layout, describe its complete history?
yes the book describes the history of the ship---and that is a coin bank made from a piece of shell...I don't need more stuff but could not resist....
the Collins and plumb are just like new--yes sweet--5 each another could not resist..

yes the book describes the history of the ship---and that is a coin bank made from a piece of shell...I don't need more stuff but could not resist....
the Collins and plumb are just like new--yes sweet--5 each another could not resist..
You guys amaze me, really nice haul.
If you didn't know them shell casings are called trench art.

I found some cool logging equipment!
L7oRQMB.jpg

I’m not sure how heavy the tongs are yet but maybe 150lbs. The saw is a 5’ Simonds and the pike pole is >14’ with the original handle.
I picked up another grab maul for the tongs. (I sure do like those things!)
It’s hard to capture in a photo but the pike has a real nice contour to the end of the handle.
CkacPaq.jpg

Hard to fit the pike in one picture.
pLqenvn.jpg

Looking at the large logging equipment, I cannot even imagine transporting the stuff to the site let alone making use of it....
QIGQwir.jpg

u6OFy2u.jpg

96FRUPZ.jpg

I don’t know anything about the No. 520
QExv2fP.jpg

E7XSW4X.jpg

6G9tai3.jpg

That’s the larger items that I found...

Last edited:
I found some cool logging equipment!
L7oRQMB.jpg

I’m not sure how heavy the tongs are yet but maybe 150lbs. The saw is a 5’ Simonds and the pike pole is >14’ with the original handle.
I picked up another grab maul for the tongs. (I sure do like those things!)
It’s hard to capture in a photo but the pike has a real nice contour to the end of the handle.
CkacPaq.jpg

Hard to fit the pike in one picture.
pLqenvn.jpg

Looking at the large logging equipment, I cannot even imagine transporting the stuff to the site let alone making use of it....
QIGQwir.jpg

u6OFy2u.jpg

96FRUPZ.jpg

I don’t know anything about the No. 520
QExv2fP.jpg

E7XSW4X.jpg

6G9tai3.jpg

That’s the larger items that I found...

That’s probably all you found ithinkverydeeply ithinkverydeeply .

I got a Flinty Axe box full of little stuff.
1hs9SWS.jpg

That weird flat saw hammer is a Disston (no. 3 I believe.)
C6nTrQ9.jpg

The Atkins #20 saw handle is a CCC.
EMOBHOG.jpg

osjk9g1.jpg

The bottle. The bottle is gross!!?!
I can’t describe how filthy this thing is.
It’s got the old glass with bubbles and some ungodly crud on it.
LoL. It’s awesome!
a09G47B.jpg

meLic7E.jpg

Is it leaking rancid turpentine!?! :confused:
6CzLVxr.jpg

Last edited:
I got a Flinty Axe box full of little stuff.
1hs9SWS.jpg

That weird flat saw hammer is a Disston (no. 3 I believe.)
C6nTrQ9.jpg

The Atkins #20 saw handle is a CCC.
EMOBHOG.jpg

osjk9g1.jpg

The bottle. The bottle is gross!!?!
I can’t describe how filthy this thing is.
It’s got the old glass with bubbles and some ungodly crud on it.
LoL. It’s awesome!
a09G47B.jpg

meLic7E.jpg

Is it leaking rancid turpentine!?! :confused:
6CzLVxr.jpg
Very impressive!
What is that that tool between the file and the anvil saw set with a diamond pattern?

Back