It followed me home (Part 2)

I took my thrust bearing in to the local NAPA store and had them match up the size with a heavy throw out bearing. Vise is smooth and easy to open with the throw out bearing. The old thrust bearing can stick especially if they're old and pitted.

I will see if the one I ordered on the cheap will do the job, otherwise I will likely do what you mentioned and take it in with me.

Good to know from both of you that a throw out will substitute well if not better.

The working Quikwerk post vise that I have here has one of the throw out bearing in place of the original thrust bearing and it works smooth as well.
1kD1Qyl.jpg

Here was a vise thread I started a while ago:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/vises-a-leg-to-stand-on.1315295/

I will see if the one I ordered on the cheap will do the job, otherwise I will likely do what you mentioned and take it in with me.

The working Quikwerk post vise that I have here has one of the throw out bearing in place of the original thrust bearing and it works smooth as well.
1kD1Qyl.jpg

Here was a vise thread I started a while ago:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/vises-a-leg-to-stand-on.1315295/

Great thread you started there. I recently picked up a post vise and the information and images posted here are fantastic.

I have not looked into discovering the maker yet,
NO 60
New London
Conn

Excellent thread

I just ordered a clutch throw out bearing for a rig from the 70’s (read that the older ones were a better fit for the vises) to try to replace the damaged one. If it doesn’t work then I might have to conscript someone to fix the existing one. They are beveled on the inside.

Oh, G garry3 the snake is ceramic. That didn’t stop my brother from spooking me pretty good with it... he’s a funny guy, just ask him...
We did see several well-fed ones outside Burns that came out after dark to lay on the roads.

I think some may have been imported and some were Collins/Mann (if I remember correctly). Being regional definitely might have something to do with how many I find around here. If anything, I find the Forest King swamping pattern frequently. I just have a thing for cruisers in general.
For sure some were made by Mann and the stamp is very small. I thought it was decided the blue ones were Mann and the red was another manufacturer (maybe True Temper?) , but I don't remember what thread it was here that they were talked about.

Home again, neighbor brought my package over. This is cool. It's the same exact thing as the other one I have. They share the same stampings in the middle of the blade as well. I wish i could find more on pre mass production Plumb. I'm going to hang the new one as the heirloom, and rehang the pinned one and use it some. It's a very cool shape.

20190620_194724-1335x1428.jpg

I 'buyed this now' on eBay, had to have it. But paid half a bill lower than asking, at least. I love that old anchor stamp.

ETA: 3.5lbs on the dot.

Picked up a few new things! Long post as it's been awhile since I posted here. Nbracket sent me a real nice Collins boy scout hatchet. I didn't even know those existed! Awesome!
zt9frvR.jpg

Hard to pick a favorite... That b&d is something. Here's that one as I got it this morning;
XCPCcHR.jpg
H87wuhO.jpg

I'm in the process of totally refinishing this one. Here it is thus far;
cMoLe5k.jpg

That rusty one in front is a TT woodslasher that has "Wood Slasher" Kelly Works" stamped it in! Never seen that before.
0Hay8lc.jpg
jOMhiyO.jpg

Morrills improved #1 saw set.
775qGFP.jpg
Stanley model shop or transitional plane. On the front is stamped "upson nut co." No35. Here's the iron. Barely even used.
lE8EDZn.jpg
EICv7c4.jpg

Then there's this bit holder!
SFzDoQ6.jpg

Can't quite make out the patent date. 18??
p40suOD.jpg

A smal pickaroon
Bc8cMcI.jpg

KAD4I7l.jpg
And finally the littlest but by no means the least!
JDFl2K4.jpg

kneRz0N.jpg

I'll be busy in my free time!
As always i forgot something. Collins Dayton that weighs 4lbs to the ounce! And to the right of it is a(i think) mann Jersey. The haft above them is the original haft for the Collins.
4aHI6T8.jpg
LoDl8Ev.jpg

Picked up a few new things! Long post as it's been awhile since I posted here. Nbracket sent me a real nice Collins boy scout hatchet. I didn't even know those existed! Awesome!
zt9frvR.jpg

Hard to pick a favorite... That b&d is something. Here's that one as I got it this morning;
XCPCcHR.jpg
H87wuhO.jpg

cMoLe5k.jpg

That rusty one in front is a TT woodslasher that has "Wood Slasher" Kelly Works" stamped it in! Never seen that before.
0Hay8lc.jpg
jOMhiyO.jpg

775qGFP.jpg
Stanley model shop or transitional plane. On the front is stamped "upson nut co." No35. Here's the iron. Barely even used.
lE8EDZn.jpg
EICv7c4.jpg

SFzDoQ6.jpg

p40suOD.jpg

A smal pickaroon
Bc8cMcI.jpg

KAD4I7l.jpg
JDFl2K4.jpg

kneRz0N.jpg

As always i forgot something. Collins Dayton that weighs 4lbs to the ounce! And to the right of it is a(i think) mann Jersey. The haft above them is the original haft for the Collins.
4aHI6T8.jpg
LoDl8Ev.jpg

I agree with A A17 ...1883

That pickaroon handle and swell, MmmmGoood.
Sweet PEXTO tack hammer.
The axe heads are all great, I've been waiting for a Collins BSA myself to cross in front of me.
That's the top of the line Bigelow and Dowse...Highest Quality Fast Cutting.
Excellent gathering, really loving that pickaroon swell.

Thank you! It sure does appear to be '83. That just seems to me a little late in the game for there to be a patent available for such a box.
It was the swell that made me buy the pickaroon. Plus in close quarters or, heaven forbid, using a wood splitter it could come in handy.
I'm now ready, after MUCH elbow grease, to cold blue the B&D axe. 15611664032931916069892394093294.jpg 15611664258435281846532950673208.jpg 15611664515775462599960482752809.jpg
The temper is what you'd expect from a top o the line axe from back in the day. I did it all by hand and I'm not worried about all the tiny scratches. If i don't like it I can always do it again!

zt9frvR.jpg

XCPCcHR.jpg
H87wuhO.jpg

cMoLe5k.jpg

0Hay8lc.jpg
jOMhiyO.jpg

775qGFP.jpg
lE8EDZn.jpg
EICv7c4.jpg

SFzDoQ6.jpg

p40suOD.jpg

A smal pickaroon
Bc8cMcI.jpg

KAD4I7l.jpg
JDFl2K4.jpg

kneRz0N.jpg

4aHI6T8.jpg
LoDl8Ev.jpg
Awesome stuff! What a bit holder!
Now that they have primed me for it, all I can see is 1883.

I stopped by a garage sale today that didn’t have anything but I could see some polled tool in the corner. So I asked the guy if he had any axes around and he said no but maybe a maul.
Ever interested I urged him to locate it and as he approached the tools he says “Oh maybe I do have an axe here.” and hoists this double bit out of the pile. But looses his grip on the knob and drops it onto the cement from about three feet up!! :eek::poop:
It wasn’t hurt too bad, looks like those corners were already a bit rounded.
Anyway it’s a Säter Banko that I think was made between 1921-1964 and the maul was a Collins. $4 for both.
9587-F4-FE-AFF6-43-AF-9805-2709-E340-F83-F.jpg

B501870-E-6-B13-4-DD5-A209-584-F26-B41399.jpg

I read they have hard steel. They must.

I know this isn't the right place but it follows to put it here. I just finished the Bigelow & Dowse axe. 4 coats of cold blue. Lots of polishing with 000 steel wool in between coats. Angle of grind is 24° inclusive. Before; 20190621_121104.jpg

After;
TQ6totv.jpg

wwrLky8.jpg

jQ3Say0.jpg

I'm beat.. Been working on this off and on (mostly on) since 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon... I'm happy with it! Have a good day all!
6UC7NKc.jpg

Last edited:
I know this isn't the right place but it follows to put it here. I just finished the Bigelow & Dowse axe. 4 coats of cold blue. Lots of polishing with 000 steel wool in between coats. Angle of grind is 24° inclusive.
TQ6totv.jpg

wwrLky8.jpg

jQ3Say0.jpg

I'm beat.. Been working on this off and on (mostly on) since 1 o'clock yesterday afternoon... I'm happy with it! Have a good day all!
6UC7NKc.jpg
Damn. Nice!

Back