It followed me home (Part 2)

Got 15 pictures with this post! Only 3 items though but there's lots of stamps and etches to show! First up is a "Howes socket mallet" that was given to me yesterday.
4KqPeCC.jpg
K4DNYgL.jpg

Original oak handle and the oak faces are original too! There's a no 2 on the socket.
qZsasAX.jpg

Pat'd Dec 7 1880
YdTMXMn.jpg

mWwIg4c.jpg

It was a nice gift for sure. Very thoughtful of her. Brought it from Mass for me! And while you can find them they aren't common but any means. I'd never seen one. Today's purchase;
ucTrl7W.jpg

No 162 Disston. 5' plain tooth buck saw. "Two gauges thinner on back"
b4aRQNs.jpg

Previous owner stamped "riggers 140 st" on both sides.
I don't know what that means yet but I'll try to figure it out!
gHuXpnp.jpg

Has original handles and hardware.
hzvZj4G.jpg
dNJ5Pdt.jpg

It's my first buck saw so I'm pretty pleased even if it is plain tooth.
And even though I've got 5 saw sets already I couldn't pass up a Simonds!
MKNdlZO.jpg

Especially an adjustable one!
IkUWeP4.jpg

And one that still has the set screw on the plate screw.
ZiAMXVz.jpg

A serial number??
0DJS42B.jpg

And lastly the patent date;
20190824_124422.jpg
I'm excited about these things and the ones I have coming and am looking forward to sharing them with you good folks! Have a great weekend!

Picked up a set of log dogs I had made by a local blacksmith today. Also met up with a guy who has a large collection of old tools and axes. I probably could have stayed for hours looking at them, but I restrained myself and left with a timber framing chisel and a gouge. I needed them to finish off a shave horse I'm building. The chisel was made by Josiah Fowler Co. in Saint John, NB and the gouge by Ohio Tool Co. We'll see how long the broom handle that came in the gouge lasts; it sure is stuck in there good.

gnuPUZr.jpg

Got 15 pictures with this post! Only 3 items though but there's lots of stamps and etches to show! First up is a "Howes socket mallet" that was given to me yesterday.
4KqPeCC.jpg
K4DNYgL.jpg

Original oak handle and the oak faces are original too! There's a no 2 on the socket.
qZsasAX.jpg

Pat'd Dec 7 1880
YdTMXMn.jpg

mWwIg4c.jpg

It was a nice gift for sure. Very thoughtful of her. Brought it from Mass for me! And while you can find them they aren't common but any means. I'd never seen one. Today's purchase;
ucTrl7W.jpg

b4aRQNs.jpg

gHuXpnp.jpg

hzvZj4G.jpg
dNJ5Pdt.jpg

MKNdlZO.jpg

IkUWeP4.jpg

ZiAMXVz.jpg

A serial number??
0DJS42B.jpg

View attachment 1184417
I'm excited about these things and the ones I have coming and am looking forward to sharing them with you good folks! Have a great weekend!

Wow man that mallet is awesome!!! I would have gotten that in a second!!!

I sussed out some interesting stuff today.
F4-DB0-C90-1-DE1-4961-8-B75-E3-C41-A171-E16.jpg

A couple cool marlin spikes for rope, an ogre hammer (I mean grab maul), and a super minty hand anvil.
38-B71-ACE-8-FEB-4-F9-F-99-FA-712-E2-DED6250.jpg

6-BCAE7-BB-A46-A-44-DC-8-EF1-EE8-DEC827-ACB.jpg

...an old metal saw oil/lubricant can and some vintage stuff to make oil bottles with, including an antique rum bottle! I got a couple extra hooks also, if anyone wants one for your own project let me know?
8-B6-FEBF8-6-EC2-40-DC-B80-A-20-F4622295-DA.jpg

The Collins has the big old Legitimus logo and the American Ax has Robert Mann on the back.
DF3-EA9-E1-EFD3-4-F19-A3-DA-99-CCA9-E0-D247.jpg

Wish they wouldn’t have chosen that side to hammer with, the back is fine.
E25-BD97-E-F763-483-B-A85-D-320-B97-AE9-F91.jpg

1-E8538-A4-5-C1-C-43-CD-B436-C05-FCC183-CD9.jpg

Picked up a set of log dogs I had made by a local blacksmith today. Also met up with a guy who has a large collection of old tools and axes. I probably could have stayed for hours looking at them, but I restrained myself and left with a timber framing chisel and a gouge. I needed them to finish off a shave horse I'm building. The chisel was made by Josiah Fowler Co. in Saint John, NB and the gouge by Ohio Tool Co. We'll see how long the broom handle that came in the gouge lasts; it sure is stuck in there good.

gnuPUZr.jpg
you reminded me that i can do that now, i have a forge and i have stock. they will be real useful

A couple cool marlin spikes for rope, an ogre hammer (I mean grab maul), and a super minty hand anvil.

...an old metal saw oil/lubricant can and some vintage stuff to make oil bottles with, including an antique rum bottle! I got a couple extra hooks also, if anyone wants one for your own project let me know?

The Collins has the big old Legitimus logo and the American Ax has Robert Mann on the back.

Wow man that Collins is SWEET!
Maybe I'd like one of those hooks after all... I pm'd you if it's not too late?
Gorgeous stuff man! I've been on the lookout for one of those older legitimus stamps too. Congrats!

Oops. I forgot about one thing.
88556171-8-DEF-404-E-BB8-F-8794-FAD20717.jpg

EDE66-F69-DCA9-4-DD3-82-F7-03-E8-A7-E95-F00.jpg

North Wayne Tool Co., Oakland Maine.

4KqPeCC.jpg
K4DNYgL.jpg

qZsasAX.jpg

Pat'd Dec 7 1880
YdTMXMn.jpg

mWwIg4c.jpg

ucTrl7W.jpg

b4aRQNs.jpg

gHuXpnp.jpg

hzvZj4G.jpg
dNJ5Pdt.jpg

MKNdlZO.jpg

IkUWeP4.jpg

ZiAMXVz.jpg

A serial number??
0DJS42B.jpg

View attachment 1184417

That mallet is incredible. Loaded with character, that thing.

Found this little guy at the flea! Candy/ Toffee axe/hammer. I have been looking at some one eBay so when I saw it I had to get it lol. This is the second one I found actually. Here is my collection of candy/toffee/brittle axes
I think the Walkers was more of an advertising piece. But the other one I have is legit. Lol

A few new things... One is my first flooring hatchet and the other, which hopefully won't get me banned from "this side" lol, a Damascus knife.
PNgKQQe.jpg

489evZI.jpg
Z3epQym.jpg
ks22UBk.jpg
l5jpVyw.jpg

I've already filed the legitimus and will be honing it presently.
Are flooring hatchets supposed to be hung on a bent or straight haft? I wouldn't bend it much but just enough for your hand. Seems like that makes sense anyway. Even Still for some reason I think it's supposed to be straight...? One of you smart and crafty fellas will know!

I just received this beautiful 28” Warren Old Faithful with a 1942 stamp that was expertly restored from @Blue Sasquatch.

I’m going to give it to a friend as a gift, to make up for my deficiencies in our relationship.
n48Gc4t.jpg

phwAho5.jpg

4QiIPRV.jpg

Ct30AxA.jpg

L5PI9nK.jpg

G7ZNlTi.jpg

hVibVAP.jpg

The last axe I got “for him” I couldn’t bring myself to part with it. So I went searching for another one to give him and this one is even cooler! :confused:

I just received this beautiful 28” Warren Old Faithful with a 1942 stamp that was expertly restored from @Blue Sasquatch.

I’m going to give it to a friend as a gift, to make up for my deficiencies in our relationship.
n48Gc4t.jpg

phwAho5.jpg

4QiIPRV.jpg

Ct30AxA.jpg

L5PI9nK.jpg

G7ZNlTi.jpg

hVibVAP.jpg

The last axe I got “for him” I couldn’t bring myself to part with it. So I went searching for another one to give him and this one is even cooler! :confused:
Is THAT why you wanted my address....? Hahaha. That's gorgeous itvd! What a great gift. I think I'd shit a brick if someone gave me a nice collectible axe like that. He's gonna love it!
Folks have given me axes but, and this is totally understandable, they don't know what to look for so they're invariably from Taiwan or are modern and just rusty.

A few new things... One is my first flooring hatchet and the other, which hopefully won't get me banned from "this side" lol, a Damascus knife.
PNgKQQe.jpg

489evZI.jpg
Z3epQym.jpg
ks22UBk.jpg
l5jpVyw.jpg

I've already filed the legitimus and will be honing it presently.
Are flooring hatchets supposed to be hung on a bent or straight haft? I wouldn't bend it much but just enough for your hand. Seems like that makes sense anyway. Even Still for some reason I think it's supposed to be straight...? One of you smart and crafty fellas will know!

Straight! I've got a basically NOS Plumb with a take-up screw wedge. All catalogs seen also straight.

I kinda doubt there's a lefty been produced. Just because they used to beat you into right handedness back in the day, as I understand it. I grew up hearing a lot of stories involving lefties, nuns, and painful application of rulers. Even a chucked chalkboard eraser!

Back