It's too hot in the shop - Significantly better pics added (9/18)

I started this new batch of projects on 7/4 a few orders and a few for the California Custom Knife Show (please stop and say hello). Seven knives (all Loveless design) some of my Prybuddies and a top secret project. (please forgive the iPhone pics)

photo8.jpg

Top to Bottom: 2-Chutes, 2-Hideouts, 1-Drop Hunter, 1-Dixon, and 1-Wilderness all profiled. Mostly CPM154; one in S35VN.

photo7.jpg

Surface ground and lead in grind done.

photo6.jpg

Rough ground and tangs tapered close to heat treatable; S35 is much nicer to grind than CPM154.

photo5.jpg

Post heat treat (all came out in the 59-60 RC range)posing with handle material: from L-R Koa from Mark, green canvas, black canvas, Sycamore from Mark, Lightning strike CF and plain CF both from Matt Diskin.

photo4.jpg

Ground to 2000P and guards ready for rough shaping, pinning and some will get solder.

photo.jpg

Thanks for looking it gave me a reason to leave the 100+ degree shop.

Last edited:
Joe - good job bugging David. David - good start to the WIP - looking forward to what comes next.

Roger

That's a fine looking batch, looking forward to the progress!

What's that old saying ......... Something about a squeaky wheel :)

I am certainly no stranger to Loveless knives and Loveless designs. Being a collector for well over 25 + years how could I be.

I've certainly had and used knives that where inspired by the great one, the last being a piece from Rob Brown that now resides in STevens collection.

It's not that I was not attracted to them or could not apreciate them, but it was just not a genre that I really sought out.

Well all that started to change of late and after watching the Loveless Documentary I got from Dave Ellis I was bit.

I will probable never own a real Loveless, unless STeven gives me his :)

With today's large amount of talent out there doing Loveless inspired designs I just had to find the right maker for me.

I met David Sharp awhile back and all I can say is I liked the man and really dug his story. Sometimes people click and for me that is very important when I choose a maker.

After seeing some of David's work and speaking with Steven I knew David Sharp was the maker for this project.

Of late I have had to do a lot more dressing up and I wanted a concealable fixed blade. David and Steven both suggested the Hideout so that's what we are running with. A Carbon fiber handled Hideout with a horizontal black leather sheath. Just sounds cool doesn't it :)

I am hoping to take delivery at the Gathering in Vegas. Thanks David for doing the WIP and for taking me on as a client :)

I will anxiously be watching this thread

Wow! Those are as hot as it is outside. Looking forward to getting my hands on chute knife. Have to come by out at socal show and look into ordering more sharpwerks knives.

If you haven't seen David's work in person, you should stop by his table for a real treat. His loveless style knives look right and feel right. He is also awesome to talk with and very knowledgeable about loveless knives.

Temps are a bit lower but the humidity is up! Still got quite a bit done.

Guard/bolster fit on a:
Drop Hunter
7.jpg

Chute
8.jpg

Hideout (the very slight gap went away when pinned and peened)
9.jpg

One of my newest acquisitions; a bench anvil donated out of pity (after seeing my first WIP). Thanks Brian!
10.jpg

3 peened and pins ground; looks like they will be invisible (don't want to ruin my streak).
11.jpg

A Chute ready for solder. I use a heat block past (works well for TIG welding, works well here).
12.jpg

Ready for clean-up
13.jpg

New shop made gravers; what a dope I was for not doing this sooner. Cut my clean-up time in half.
14.jpg

On to 2000 and 2500 hand sanding, a Hideout.
15.jpg

And a Dixon
16.jpg

Hopefully more tomorrow. Thanks for looking!

David,

Thanks for the pics--looking great. I love the double hollow grind and appreciate how clean yours are--I just did my first and it aint easy.

Tad

David,

Wonderful WIP's, I can't begin to tell how much more impressive the final result is after viewing these photos.

The shapes of the Loveless design blades are so incredibly sensuous, the gentle curves are so expressive as to draw you in simply by

their appearance. Some may think this odd, but I find myself staring at the shapes forgetting for the moment that these are knives

and ultimately man's first tool. Bravo David, I look forward to your next installment.

Jeff

David I'm stoked they all look good but my hideout looks the best. Even though I don't know which HO is mine :)

Steven was right you really are a talent

Thx

your knife making kicks ass

Thank you Tad and Erik words from experienced makers mean the world!

Roger, Jeffery, Joe and Lorien, kind words and attention from knife aficionados of your caliber are truly appreciated!

So I had to call it an early day yesterday; had to leave the house at 03:45 and drove in 25 minutes ago (20:05) (this is dedication, hugged the wife and immediately started posting knife pictures).

I left Saturday with blocking the blades to 2500. A few sanding blocks of G10. The radius is smaller than the grinding wheel so as not to weaken the grind lines.
17.jpg

Four blades polished (pretty close to finished/ready for handle slabs) and two with an experimental finish. I call it a matte polish the blades are ground to 2000 and then tumbled. You can still see your thumbnail but definitely not the mirror polish.
19.jpg

Handle material; most with liner material one without.
20.jpg

Handle slabs with compound angle ground in. It usually works out to 7 degrees for the guards and 4 for the tapered tang. Set up to check fit and with their prospective knives.
21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

A better idea of the finish difference.
24.jpg

Thanks for tagging along!

David

Your work is truly incredible.

Your workmanship grinds, finish etc. is exceptional

It is amazing how far you have come in a relative short time.

Truly an Artisian

The user finish has me very curious. What more can you say about it ?

Thx

Not much to say it is inspired by a knife I bought from Marcus Lin.

Some people don't like the high polish and some steels don't polish so it fills the gap. The polished Hideout is CPM154, the matte Hideout is S35VN. I will never make the mistake of trying to polish S35 again!:thumbdn::eek::grumpy::( (Oh great I pulled a Wheeler with all these smilies!)

Back