It's too hot in the shop - Significantly better pics added (9/18)

David,
Can you post more info/photo on your gravers? I tried enlargening the photo but can't make out any details.
Are they made of brass or bronze?
Thanks,
Fred

.125" brass rod beveled to what makes me happy (test the angle for yourself). I was not happy with the handles I found so I made them from G10. I use a drop (literally a drop)of CA to hold the rod in place; if I need to replace just dissolve with acetone.

David,
Thank you for the explanation. I could not make out any color in the photo, but I was sure any steel would give you a lot of scratches.

Regards,
Fred

a little green, here, I'm ashamed to admit. I want your knife, Joe.

Thanks for following along guys with friends like Joe and others it makes it easy to push for the best I can do! Everyday knife making has been a blessing and I love learning the new skills!

Beautiful work and fantastic looking knives. Wish i could own one right now.

Really appreciate the step by step pictures all the way through the process. These types of threads always have me captivated for hours and are one of the reasons i love this forum.

Cheers :thumbup:

This is a time when leather really makes the whole thing come together in a purposeful way that brings a smile to my face

David thanks so much I can't wait to see ya in Vegas

BTW STeven your knife looks pretty good too :)

But I do like mine better

Of course you like yours better, Joe....that is why it will be yours. I have one knife from R.W. Loveless......a Dixon, one from Thad Buchanan and soon to be one from David. As Mike Lovelett had said in another post here on the Forums, the Dixon is basically a Medium Bear subhilt, without the subhilt. It's great study to compare Dixon pattern knives from other makers to the Loveless. I get a real rush from the pattern, it is an all-business fighter.

The Dixon looks beautiful David, and I am glad that we had Mark at the show in Pasadena to provide such great wood.....sad what happened to the show though, and I'll not be back.

Really looking forward to spending some time looking it over and chatting in Las Vegas, safe travels!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Not to correct Mike, but it would be a Junior Bear. The Boot with a sub-hilt is a Baby Bear, and of course the large Big Bear.

Steven gave me the choice of either a Wilderness or a Dixon. I figure if I was going to mess up I might as well do it right. So with Steven owning the real thing a Dixon it was.

Thanks Nick, means a lot!

They are similar in length but the Wilderness is wider (spine/edge). IMHO the Dixon and the 6" fighter are more appealing in hand and visually.

This is the first time I checked this thread out. Glad I waited until now, great thread, really nice work, David. Had no idea it had "Loveless" content.

These were poorly photographed previously by yours truly. I thought I would post these excellent pictures.

A 4" Loveless pattern Drop Hunter with dyed and stabilized Sycamore and matte blade finish.
orig.jpg

A Loveless pattern Hideout in S35VN with lightning strike CF and a matte blade finish.
orig.jpg

A Loveless pattern Chute with black canvas Micarta with a traditionally polished blade.
orig.jpg

And finally a Dixon with Koa and the traditionally polished blade.
orig.jpg

Of the knives in this thread; the second Hideout and Chute were delivered and the Dixon will be when I receive it back from Jim. The Wilderness is an order and I don't have the handle material yet. If you are in SoCal Oct 6 or 7th you can stop and see the pictured Hideout, Chute, DH, or a Stiff Horn at the California Custom Knife Show.

Thanks for looking!

David,

Beautiful, I think he was the Michelangelo to the custom knife industry and you have followed closely on his heels!

Jeff

Back