It's too hot in the shop - Significantly better pics added (9/18)

Roger, Jeffery, Joe and Lorien, kind words and attention from knife aficionados of your caliber are truly appreciated!

David, while I appreciate your comment, I certainly don't feel as though I am in the same league as these two. I've got a long way to go before I get anywhere close to it!

Of the 2 steels which do you prefer on a performance level ?

I have never owned or used S35VN Joe. I am very impressed with my CPM154 performance based on the inability to polish the S35 I would think that it would hold en edge pretty darn well.

David, while I appreciate your comment, I certainly don't feel as though I am in the same league as these two. I've got a long way to go before I get anywhere close to it!

I stand by my comments; I like your taste in most knives.

It seems that as things get shinier and move towards finished the iPhone wants to quite taking okay pictures.

So when I left last week I had the scales fitted to the guards and ready to move forward. This left me with a pile of scales and tangs to blast.

25.jpg

I like to blast and then wipe with denatured alcohol making sure there is 0 anything to hinder adhesion.

26.jpg

28.jpg

I was thinking of abandoning my normal nicely etched mark and get down and dirty with the diamond bit (good sense took over).

27.jpg

I started to cut scales to rough shape and I saw it coming (I guess at 40 my reflexes aren't as cat like as last year)!

30.jpg

My finger had a meeting with this.

31.jpg

Cal/OSHA approved handle shaping uniform. The Michelin man called he wants his suit back. Had to protect my identity as a high drag slow speed operator. And the iPhone failed me again sorry for the tiny picture I know you all wanted to see what I look like.

32.jpg

Rough shaping handles.

33.jpg

34.jpg

90% finished on these; I find the last 10 the hardest.

rsz_img_0165.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

That is impressive work. It is always interesting to see other peoples techniques. Your knives are amazing and say quite a bit about your attention to detail.

Nice progress. :thumbup:
I caught myself once with my saw, it almost reached the bone in a millisecond.
Be careful, it would be a shame to get blood all over one of those beautiful knives!! :eek::D

David please stop hurting yourself my knife needs to be done by the end of the month

Only kidding :) please be careful

I am so excited the knives are amazing and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the horizontal sheath for my HO

Thx for the pics

fantastic work!

What part of the high desert are you in? I live in Hesperia, and work in Boron. Need anybody to come clean up the shop? Maybe bring a proper Band-Aid ?.

Hit the tip and followed the bone not very long but I am glad it is my left hand.

Mr. Wrench, I live in Hesperia. What in the world is Boron? PM me your phone number or email.

boron is up the 395, west of four corners, It's the largest open pit mine in california. We supply the world with Borax. I don't have the ability to pm, my e-mail is Wrencheshurt at gmail dot com.

Sorry for the bad pics Roger it is a Dixon in customer supplied Koa. I hope I get enough of a reprieve to send it to Coop for photos.

Mr Wrench I knew where Boron is, I was going to assume you where a crusty old desert rat or a miner.

Joe got a plan for the sheath; hope it satisfies. If not I will get to see one of my knives in a Long.

Sorry for the bad pics Roger it is a Dixon in customer supplied Koa. I hope I get enough of a reprieve to send it to Coop for photos.

Mr Wrench I knew where Boron is, I was going to assume you where a crusty old desert rat or a miner.

Joe got a plan for the sheath; hope it satisfies. If not I will get to see one of my knives in a Long.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

A few better pics:

Hideout in CPM154 with large weave CF and a black cross draw sheath

0062.jpg

012.jpg

Hideout in S35VN with matte finish and lightning strike CF

025.jpg

024.jpg

Gratuitous tang shot

0102.jpg

Dixon in CPM154 with Koa

016.jpg

0153.jpg

018.jpg

Dropped Hunter in CPM154 with matte finish and dyed Sycamore

0222.jpg

0213.jpg

The two Chute knives are at about 95% and ready for leather.

Thanks for looking! Feedback welcome.

David I am thrilled

The perfect suit knife :)

With a black belt and a pair of black pants it will disappear Especially under a suit jacket

It takes a lot to get me excited about a knife and I am really excited about this project. It will definitely be carried

This is a time when leather really makes the whole thing come together in a purposeful way that brings a smile to my face

David thanks so much I can't wait to see ya in Vegas

BTW STeven your knife looks pretty good too :)

But I do like mine better

bafd8e4cc22405fce755b9a7a332716c.jpg

Back