Jack Wolf Knives - Back on Track

Alright, so my Laid Back Jack on olive drab Micarta came in today. Pics first.

iA5NNXy.jpg

MbNDJ7S.jpg

SvvktD8.jpg

NvLKobQ.jpg

Here goes....

It's a great looking knife!! I think the wharncliffe swayback jack is one of the best looking and most useful traditional patterns there is, so I think it was astute of Ben to have it as one of the first offerings. I also have to say that Ben was 100% correct about the hollow grind. It's a very deep hollow grind that makes for a blade that is nice and thin behind the edge. Two thumbs up. The satin finish on the blade looks great and was very well done. The edge is very sharp. I'd say the pull is about a six or seven and is absolutely perfect. Walk and talk is excellent. Nice and snappy. The swedge is nicely ground and is about as even as it gets. The spine of the blade and spring are perfectly flush in the open position. Lots of great things about the knife!

Now the not so great...

To give you an idea of my expectations, here is what I am comparing the Laid Back Jack to:

FAEGlqF.jpg

The Reate/Pena X Bravo which features the same steel, the same liner/frame material, same hardware material, same cover material, same price, and is manufactured in a similar quality facility out of China.
The Viper Knives Swayback featuring the same steel, same integral bolster/liner material, can be purchased with the same cover material, is half the price, and is manufactured in Italy.
The Albers Cutlery Boys Knife featuring CPM-154 steel, exotic cover materials, is about half the price, and is handcrafted in the U.S.A..

At the price of $275 I would expect the Jack Wolf Knives to have at least the same level of fit an finish as the Reate/Pena X Bravo which costs the same amount of money. The Bravo uses a much larger piece of M390, has a grind that is just as complicated as the Laid Back Jack, uses a lot more titanium, has a copper backspacer/thumb stud/pivot collar, and anodized hardware. I would expect the fit and finish to be significantly better than Viper Knives Swayback which is half the cost and uses the same material and is manufactured in a country with higher manufacturing costs. I would also expect the fit and finish to be significantly better than the Albers Cutlery Boys Knife which may only uses CPM-154 steel, but is manufactured in the U.S.A. by hand and uses exotic cover material.

I have to say, in all these regards, the knife has fallen kind of flat with me.

The fit and finish on the covers could be a little better. One side is nice and tight, but the other has a bit of a gap where it meets the bolster. It's not a giant gap, but it's big enough to fit a fingernail in there. For $150 - $200 I could overlook it. For $275 it's a bit of a bummer.

QL9VCXa.jpg

Compared to the other side which is quite a bit tighter.

i87N6OY.jpg

There are also quite a few loose threads around the edges of the Micarta. You can also see how the end of the scale doesn't quite sit flush with the titanium liners/frame. Again, for $150 - $200 I wouldn't even mention it. For $275 I expect better.

Z0vHwPN.jpg

The edge could be more consistent. There is a bit of extra steel at the heel, and the straight edge of the wharncliffe is a bit wavey. I have the edge set on a perfectly flat aluminum plate for mounting sharpening tapes. Look at all the light underneath the blade. All this just too much to accept on a knife that is priced like this.

dB4oQjc.jpg

And last is just a personal gripe. I think the liner/frame is MUCH too thick and the scales too thin. I was really stoked for the titanium integral threaded bolster. In fact that was one of the main reasons I purchased the knife. However, the frame/liner is so thick that it doesn't even really look like a real bolster... I just looks like a thick frame that has had a groove milled into it.

Look at how little the height changes when going from the liner to the bolster.

mLTzmuY.jpg

Compared to the titanium integral bolster on the Italian Swayback.

iWQjhuJ.jpg

Oh one more thing actually. I like really good packaging as much as anyone, and probably more than most. I save every box that comes with a knife I purchase and have a closet full of them. I've gotta wonder just how much cost the metal tube, giant microfiber cloth, and leather slip added to the knife though.

I'm sorry Ben, but I think this one is just passing through.

Last edited:
Alright, so my Laid Back Jack on olive drab Micarta came in today. Pics first.

iA5NNXy.jpg

MbNDJ7S.jpg

SvvktD8.jpg

NvLKobQ.jpg

Here goes....

It's a great looking knife!! I think the wharncliffe swayback jack is one of the best looking and most useful traditional patterns there is, so I think it was astute of Ben to have it as one of the first offerings. I also have to say that Ben was 100% correct about the hollow grind. It's a very deep hollow grind that makes for a blade that is nice and thin behind the edge. Two thumbs up. The satin finish on the blade looks great and was very well done. The edge is very sharp. I'd say the pull is about a six or seven and is absolutely perfect. Walk and talk is excellent. Nice and snappy. The swedge is nicely ground and is about as even as it gets. The spine of the blade and spring are perfectly flush in the open position. Lots of great things about the knife!

Now the not so great...

To give you an idea of my expectations, here is what I am comparing the Laid Back Jack to:

FAEGlqF.jpg

The Reate/Pena X Bravo which features the same steel, the same liner/frame material, same hardware material, same cover material, same price, and is manufactured in a similar quality facility out of China.
The Viper Knives Swayback featuring the same steel, same integral bolster/liner material, can be purchased with the same cover material, is half the price, and is manufactured in Italy.
The Albers Cutlery Boys Knife featuring CPM-154 steel, exotic cover materials, is about half the price, and is handcrafted in the U.S.A..

At the price of $275 I would expect the Jack Wolf Knives to have at least the same level of fit an finish as the Reate/Pena X Bravo which costs the same amount of money. The Bravo uses a much larger piece of M390, has a grind that is just as complicated as the Laid Back Jack, uses a lot more titanium, has a copper backspacer/thumb stud/pivot collar, and anodized hardware. I would expect the fit and finish to be significantly better than Viper Knives Swayback which is half the cost and uses the same material and is manufactured in a country with higher manufacturing costs. I would also expect the fit and finish to be significantly better than the Albers Cutlery Boys Knife which may only uses CPM-154 steel, but is manufactured in the U.S.A. by hand and uses exotic cover material.

I have to say, in all these regards, the knife has fallen kind of flat with me.

The fit and finish on the covers could be a little better. One side is nice and tight, but the other has a bit of a gap where it meets the bolster. It's not a giant gap, but it's big enough to fit a fingernail in there. For $150 - $200 I could overlook it. For $275 it's a bit of a bummer.

QL9VCXa.jpg

Compared to the other side which is quite a bit tighter.

i87N6OY.jpg

There are also quite a few loose threads around the edges of the Micarta. You can also see how the end of the scale doesn't quite sit flush with the titanium liners/frame. Again, for $150 - $200 I wouldn't even mention it. For $275 I expect better.

Z0vHwPN.jpg

The edge could be more consistent. There is a bit of extra steel at the heel, and the straight edge of the wharncliffe is a bit wavey. I have the edge set on a perfectly flat aluminum plate for mounting sharpening tapes. Look at all the light underneath the blade. All this just too much to accept on a knife that is priced like this.

dB4oQjc.jpg

And last is just a personal gripe. I think the liner/frame is MUCH too thick and the scales too thin. I was really stoked for the titanium integral threaded bolster. In fact that was one of the main reasons I purchased the knife. However, the frame/liner is so thick that it doesn't even really look like a real bolster... I just looks like a thick frame that has had a groove milled into it.

Look at how little the height changes when going from the liner to the bolster.

mLTzmuY.jpg

Compared to the titanium integral bolster on the Italian Swayback.

iWQjhuJ.jpg

Oh one more thing actually. I like really good packaging as much as anyone, and probably more than most. I save every box that comes with a knife I purchase and have a closet full of them. I've gotta wonder just how much cost the metal tube, giant microfiber cloth, and leather slip added to the knife though.

I'm sorry Ben, but I think this one is just passing through.
Hello FIxall,

Thank you for writing and sharing your experience.

I see what you mean about the Micarta. If you want, I can look over the units I held back for warranty, show you a couple options, and exchange your knife at no cost to you. Or I will buy it back from you at the price you paid. I will also notify the factory about your concern and do my best to hold them to a tighter tolerance moving forward. I will keep a close eye on it.

The cutting edge, along with the primary bevel and swedge, are ground by hand, so I don't believe I will be able to deliver perfectly flat cutting edges across 300+ unit production runs. I will, of course, mention this to the factory and make them aware of the concern.

The thickness of the liner is dictated by the construction method. On the bottom of that scale, there is a threaded barrel that is countersunk into it. So that eats into the thickness of the liner. Then, countersunk into the top of the scale is a flat head screw, and the shoulder of the screw also intrudes in that space. So that liner has to be thick enough to house those two counter sinks and have enough meat left in between to ensure machinability in that area.

Regarding the price, there is just no way for me to charge less. The packaging costs less than you think (I buy everything in bulk to keep the price down), the dealers make a standard margin and I have to make a reasonable margin. I actually make less per unit than the dealers do on these, and I can't work for free. The manufacturing price of this knife, and what differentiates it between that Pena and the Italian, is the hand work involved in making it, leading primarily to the flat and flush spring in all 3 positions and the same-plane transition between the spring and blade spine. Because they are hafted, the parts of each individual knife are mated for life, which is why all the internal parts are numbers matched. Its this hand labor that drives up the price, so ultimately they are not cheap for me to acquire. I am certainly not overcharging or gouging, because these knives simply cannot be brought to the market for less (at least without the support of the dealer network).

Regarding Albers, he makes a hell of a knife, but can he produce hundreds of knives every month to meet market demand?

Whether or not someone feels the knife I am offering is worth that money is a personal decision. I've had a lot of satisfied customers. But I absolutely respect that this knife may not be for you and does not meet your expectations, so I would like to try to make it right with an exchange or a refund. Please let me know how you would like to proceed, thank you!

-Ben

Hello FIxall,

Thank you for writing and sharing your experience.

I see what you mean about the Micarta. If you want, I can look over the units I held back for warranty, show you a couple options, and exchange your knife at no cost to you. Or I will buy it back from you at the price you paid. I will also notify the factory about your concern and do my best to hold them to a tighter tolerance moving forward. I will keep a close eye on it.

The cutting edge, along with the primary bevel and swedge, are ground by hand, so I don't believe I will be able to deliver perfectly flat cutting edges across 300+ unit production runs. I will, of course, mention this to the factory and make them aware of the concern.

The thickness of the liner is dictated by the construction method. On the bottom of that scale, there is a threaded barrel that is countersunk into it. So that eats into the thickness of the liner. Then, countersunk into the top of the scale is a flat head screw, and the shoulder of the screw also intrudes in that space. So that liner has to be thick enough to house those two counter sinks and have enough meat left in between to ensure machinability in that area.

Regarding the price, there is just no way for me to charge less. The packaging costs less than you think (I buy everything in bulk to keep the price down), the dealers make a standard margin and I have to make a reasonable margin. I actually make less per unit than the dealers do on these, and I can't work for free. The manufacturing price of this knife, and what differentiates it between that Pena and the Italian, is the hand work involved in making it, leading primarily to the flat and flush spring in all 3 positions and the same-plane transition between the spring and blade spine. Because they are hafted, the parts of each individual knife are mated for life, which is why all the internal parts are numbers matched. Its this hand labor that drives up the price, so ultimately they are not cheap for me to acquire. I am certainly not overcharging or gouging, because these knives simply cannot be brought to the market for less (at least without the support of the dealer network).

Regarding Albers, he makes a hell of a knife, but can he produce hundreds of knives every month to meet market demand?

Whether or not someone feels the knife I am offering is worth that money is a personal decision. I've had a lot of satisfied customers. But I absolutely respect that this knife may not be for you and does not meet your expectations, so I would like to try to make it right with an exchange or a refund. Please let me know how you would like to proceed, thank you!

-Ben

I can completely understand where you are coming from. I really applaud your effort to bring something new and really cool to the market too. I don't think the knife is overpriced, rather I think the knife has a few manufacturing hiccups to overcome and may have reached the point of diminishing returns in some aspects, if that makes sense.

I actually just posted the knife for sale on the exchange. If you wanted to save me the headache and uncertainty of finding a buyer, I'd be all for it.

I can completely understand where you are coming from. I really applaud your effort to bring something new and really cool to the market too. I don't think the knife is overpriced, rather I think the knife has a few manufacturing hiccups to overcome and may have reached the point of diminishing returns in some aspects, if that makes sense.

I actually just posted the knife for sale on the exchange. If you wanted to save me the headache and uncertainty of finding a buyer, I'd be all for it.
My pleasure, send me an email at support at jack wolf knives dot com so we can start the process, thanks!

Is the Javalina soon or are there several others first? I want one of those in a bad way but if they're a ways off I'll probably get a Viper Hug and settle for being jealous of Rose's Laid Back Jack.

I’ve also been curious about the Javelina, it’s the most interesting design and good size for me personally. I’m still on the fence overall, mostly do to price and whether I value the by hand work in this situation. Most of my knives don’t sit flush in all 3 positions and I never thought twice about it so not sure the value is there for me.

The Hug is on my short list! I love that design and materials at the price point.

I’ve also been curious about the Javelina, it’s the most interesting design and good size for me personally. I’m still on the fence overall, mostly do to price and whether I value the by hand work in this situation. Most of my knives don’t sit flush in all 3 positions and I never thought twice about it so not sure the value is there for me.

The Hug is on my short list! I love that design and materials at the price point.
Hey Ruhiger,

Thanks for writing. I would of course appreciate you giving my knives a try. That being said, and I know it isn't an easy call, you are ultimately going to have to decide how to allocate your money and what you value. The Hug is a great modern traditional slip joint for the price. It might be a good one to start with. What you will get with mine that the hug doesn't offer is the high hollow grind, the hand fit parts and the flat and flush spring (as you mentioned). Also the Hug has a stop pin and mine has traditional kick on spring construction. A lot of nuance here, and it is all that nuance which drove me to create this project. It would be very difficult to compete with the Italians at their price point. Which is why I wanted to offer the hand made features typically found on low numbers production knives (like the Albers) and also really expensive customs, but at a production price. Either way, the consumer wins with all the available choices!

Thank you Ben for the way you took care of my issue. Every knife company I've purchased has produced at least one knife that I wasn't super satisfied with. It's bound to happen if you buy enough knives. I can't say that I've ever had one of those companies offer to buy back one of their knives that I purchased from a separate dealer though. It speaks volumes to your character and how you run your business. I'll keep my eye out during the next drops to see how the knives are coming along and maybe I'll give them another shot. There really is a lot to like about the knives. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Ben for the way you took care of my issue. Every knife company I've purchased has produced at least one knife that I wasn't super satisfied with. It's bound to happen. I can't say that I've ever had one of those companies offer to buy back one of their knives that I purchased from a separate dealer though. It speaks volumes to your character and how you run your business. I keep my eye out during the next drops to see how the knives are coming along and maybe I'll give them another shot. There really is a lot to like about the knives. :)
My pleasure Brian. As much as the quality of my products are important to me, the same goes for customer satisfaction. And I appreciate your feedback because this allows me the opportunity to improve. And improve I will! Any continued support you provide over time will be greatly appreciate by me. Onward and upward. Thank you!

Hey Ruhiger,

Thanks for writing. I would of course appreciate you giving my knives a try. That being said, and I know it isn't an easy call, you are ultimately going to have to decide how to allocate your money and what you value. The Hug is a great modern traditional slip joint for the price. It might be a good one to start with. What you will get with mine that the hug doesn't offer is the high hollow grind, the hand fit parts and the flat and flush spring (as you mentioned). Also the Hug has a stop pin and mine has traditional kick on spring construction. A lot of nuance here, and it is all that nuance which drove me to create this project. It would be very difficult to compete with the Italians at their price point. Which is why I wanted to offer the hand made features typically found on low numbers production knives (like the Albers) and also really expensive customs, but at a production price. Either way, the consumer wins with all the available choices!
What you said about the kick not a stop pin. 💯
I have done recovers for both and I FAR prefer to work on a knife with the more traditional kick.

The Viper Hug is a tremendous knife, and an entirely better value in my personal opinion.

Back