Not open for further replies.
Pre review post -

KYenglish / JK Collaboration Pocket Rocket
DSC_3317.JPG

Specifications -
4 1/8" overall length
2" blade with scandi grind with secondary bevel
1" blade height
5 1/2" overall length with included rawhide lanyard with handmade bead to match scale material
1/8" 01 K-Treet steel

I had the opportunity to try out the new collaborative effort between Peter Howard (KYenglish) and JK Handmade Knives. John profiles, heat treats and grinds the blades out, then sends them to Pete, who then installs custom made/finished scales with a nice rawhide lanyard and a beautiful handmade bead that is made from the same wood as the handle scales (in this case tiger maple that has been hand rubbed with a stain).
DSC_3328.JPG

The knives (Peter makes a series of four different styles, including a small JK Jr. Cleaver, the Pocket King, The Rover and this model , the Pocket Rocket) all come with a nice hand-made leather sheath with decorations stamped into them. The sheath for the Pocket Rocket holds the knife very securely, and fits nicely into your pocket.
IMAG0901.jpg

I carried the knife in my right front pocket for a week, with the lanyard slightly protruding so that I could pull the knife out more easily and to keep it located at the back side of my pocket.
While working around the house, I put the knife in my back right pocket, where it rode just fine.

I used the knife for everything from opening packages, cutting tubing and hose, cutting zip-ties, and even for some light scraping as I am very familiar with JK K-Treet 01 steel and am very confident in it's durability. The little 'Rocket held a great edge all week, and I will touch the edge up before sending it along to the next lucky reviewer.
IMAG0904.jpg

The little knife is small - it is a two-finger knife for me and would have much less utility use if it were not for the great little lanyard and bead! The lanyard with the bead effectively add over an inch to the handle and make the knife much more handy that it's size would belie. I was easily able to make some fuzz sticks and did some notching to see how that would work with such a small knife. It worked great, and again I give credit to the lanyard for aiding in gripping the knife
DSC_3647.JPG

DSC_3648.JPG

I found that if I used the tip of of the knife instead of the belly that the cutting was much easier.
DSC_3663.JPG

DSC_3652.JPG

I did ask if the sheath could include a pocket clip to keep the knife in position in your pocket and also allow for easy one handed draw. John and Pete said that they could add that as an option on the sheath.

These are great little knives; I ordered a Pocket King and my wife immediately called it cute and put it in her purse where it has found it's new home.

This series makes a great pocket companion or EDC if you like to carry a traditional fixed blade. They would also make a great first knife for a child. My granddaughter Emily (8) thought the knife was just about the right size for her.
IMAG0892.jpg

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Nice start to the review. The only thing I would change is the handle material, it`s tiger maple.

Thanks. I had it as tm, but then looking at the material list that was not an option, so I changed it.

I have had fun playing with the PR.

best

mqqn

Oh man! That is exactly what I was thinking of!!

Very nice - you did a great job on that sheath - well done!!

Is that PK spoken for? ;^)

best

mqqn

Thanks, buddy, I'm liking it to, I sent you a pm, it's not spf

Oh man! That is exactly what I was thinking of!!

Very nice - you did a great job on that sheath - well done!!

Is that PK spoken for? ;^)

best

mqqn

This picture shows the great retention, even when you stand on your head!

outside2finished8_zpsb89ba307.jpg

;P

best

mqqn

Some quick photos of the Pocket King in Osage that I received today. Will do more of a review after I've had a chance to use it more.

Good work on this John and Peter!

IMG_2488_zpsa03ed5b3.png

IMG_2490_zps96a455d9.png

IMG_2493_zps96a2d037.png

IMG_2496_zps2b7f7950.png

glad you like it, thanks for posting the pictures, very cool to see it already getting some use :)

Dude you killed it on that pocket clip!! That is exactly what the sheaths need. Do you have a pocket rocket on hand you could make me one of those with? I still want a little fire steel loop on it but that pocket clip makes it super carry friendly. Let me know.

You mean, can I make one for the knife you already have? I think so, but I can't guarantee the perfect fit, it will fit because I have a pattern for the PR sheath, but each handles different.

I'll start working on it, thanks

Dude you killed it on that pocket clip!! That is exactly what the sheaths need. Do you have a pocket rocket on hand you could make me one of those with? I still want a little fire steel loop on it but that pocket clip makes it super carry friendly. Let me know.

That works for me buddy. I'm sure it will be close enough. I'll respond to your email in a bit. My phone makes it weird lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back