JK Knives Passaround Review Thread

As long as its not badgers I hear. No badgers. Does that mean bruches barkies arent covered??

Thats what I was wonderin. Cmon Thayne, I know you are givin these things some love!!!

OK, I'm finally ready to post my brief review of John's 3 knives. But first, I want to thank Jake for graciously agreeing to throw in the short Keppy, and Jeff for making such an awesome kydex sheath for it. And of course, I want to thank John for sending these great little knives around so we can all play with them. Alright, no more thank you's, or this is gonna turn in to the Academy Awards or something. OK, on to the review...

I always struggle on figuring out what tasks to do with knives that I review. I wanted to take them on a little trip into the mountains, but my schedule was too hectic. So I chose 3 random bushcraft/camping tasks that I would use these knives for in the real world. I chose drilling, whittling, and slicing (vegetables). So let's start with drilling.

I haven't made a fireboard in some time, but figured with the varying tips on these knives, it might be interesting. First up was the hiker's backup. It has a bit of a small handle for me, so I didn't feel all that comfortable applying pressure to it. And the clip point wasn't able to keep up with the others in terms of making a nice hole. So the HB came in #3 on this test. Next, was the bushcrafter. It has a nice spear point, well in line with the knife's axis. And the handle, although a little shorter than I like, seemed to provide good purchase. Drilling into my fireboard was really no problem at all for this knife. But first place in the drilling comp had to go to the mini-kephart. It has a very comfortable, secure handle, a great point, and I felt very confident in bearing down on this knife, even though it was a thinner blade than the HB.
DSC00260.jpg

Next activity: whittling. The Hiker's backup again went first, and as I noted above, the short handle felt awkward to me. I felt like I had less control with this knife than the others, and the thick blade interfered somewhat with making curls, and nice deep long strips. Notching wasn't so bad. I think the bevel on this knife being so thick may have had something to do with it. I felt like it dulled faster than the other knives during testing. But, I digress. Let me get on to the bushcrafter. I like this knife! It breezed through the whittling round. I had no difficulty working the wood, which was a moderately seasoned cedar, and could get some nice thin curls, and nice thick cuts whenever I needed them. The mini-kephart was right there with the bushcrafter though. I liked the full-sized handle for applying serious pressure on some cuts, but it was very precise too, thanks to the thin blade and bevel. I'd have to call this one a tie for first between the bushcrafter and the keppy.
DSC00261.jpg

Slicing in the kitchen was where I finished up. I chose some vegetables to chop/slice, namely tomatoes, carrots, and celery. Nothing too challenging. The hiker's backup had some trouble in this arena. Maybe my sharpening skills are lacking, but I just couldn't seem to get the HB sharp enough for my taste. And the thicker blade did equate to a little more drag with thin slicing.
The bushcrafter made short work of the veggies. Nice thin tomato slices, and a carrot fuzz stick were churned out with no difficulty. The kephart was just a shade worse in the kitchen. Nothing I can really put my finger on, as it handled thin slicing, chopping, etc without difficulty. It just didn't seem to fly through those tasks like the bushcrafter.
DSC00262.jpg

So, in the end, the bushcraft and keppy ended up virtually tied. I think I'd give the edge to the keppy, just because the handle fit me the best, and it hung in there really well for a big blade duelling with the little guys. The hiker's backup finished last. It seemed like it would be handy, and something nice to carry as, well, a backup. But the blade geometry and short handle just didn't do it for me.

Some final comments: I did not take any of these knives to a stone for sharpening. I stropped them on some green chromium oxide, to bring back the edge a little. The keppy sharpened right up, the bushcraft did too but not as sharp, and the HB would have needed a lot more work to get as sharp as I wanted. I wasn't willing to modify the knife that much, as per the rules of this passaround. Oh, and Jeff's sheath is awesome. It matches up great with the keppy! Thanks guys!
P.S. I'm having some trouble uploading pics from my computer. Must be my new camera. I'll be working on it.
DSC00259.jpg

OK, so as you all can see, I got the photo thing figured out. It wasn't easy, though. Damn all this new technology, anyway!

Last edited:
Raindog,
Good review and if you have any trouble with the pics email them to me, I will post for you.

-RB

Nice review, and pics. I am glad everyone is enjoyin that short Keppy. Its a handy knife for sure!!

No problem. I like to see it gettin around. She will be a whore for sure when she makes it home. I will have to lock her in the drawer for awhile:p

But, thats what I get for pimpin her out.:cool:

No problem. I like to see it gettin around. She will be a whore for sure when she makes it home. I will have to lock her in the drawer for awhile:p

But, thats what I get for pimpin her out.:cool:

Unless she finds a new daddy first;):D

I have been waiting on my review because I wanted to post some pics along with it, but Time Warner has been "upgrading" around me. Long story short, my internet at home is spotty right now and I can't upload my pics, so they will come later.

Ever since getting a Hikers Backup from John several months ago, I have been sold on his knives. So it was no surprise that I'd like these. His work is straightforward, which is not to say his knives are Plain Jane, but they just work. They have a style that just by looking at them you say, hey those are definitely Stompers!

The mini Keppy was an immediate favorite. I first used all the knives in the kitchen, and the Keppy is well suited to all kinds of food prep for sure. I sliced and diced steaks, chicken, onions, potatoes etc. And even though the stock is thicker than a normal kitchen knife, the edge geometry still makes it cut like crazy.

Next I was able to take them on two hikes in two different areas. I admit to not using the Hikers Backup much since I already have one. But I carried the other small knife in the side pocket of my shorts and the Keppy rode on my pack.
I sliced and carved as much wood as I could find. The large, chunky handle paired with the small, straight blade made the lil' Keppy a perfect cutter. This knife packs a big knife into a small package for sure. This would truly make an absolute perfect UL backpackers knife. It's plenty stout for batonning, without being big, bulky or too heavy. I see myself getting one of these in the near future!
Thanks again John and j williams for the chance to play with these great blades :D (Pics to come as soon as possible)

Edit: Looks like I was the last on the list, do these go back to John now?

Last edited:
Right on man, they will be headed your way this weekend :thumbup:

Have fun with them! :cool:

Right on man, they will be headed your way this weekend :thumbup:

Have fun with them! :cool:

You scared me there bro!

Got your email and thanks. I have a couple of John's blades allready, but I reaaly wanted to check these out.
:)

Great review Thayne. Glad you liked em. I cant wait to see your pics....

There is another one on the list too. He signed up over at KF. RB has his address.

Great review Thayne. Glad you liked em. I cant wait to see your pics....

There is another one on the list too. He signed up over at KF. RB has his address.

Oh damn, I forgot about him, Did you email T, to tell him, if not I will.

Back