JK Toby's Knife (formerly-I got a package in the mail today...)

I call this one "Rain Rain go away so we can go out to play"
100_9197.JPG

Best friends forever? Yeah, man, forever.
100_9194.JPG

Ah, a chance to see the patina
100_9195.JPG

Wait till you see our brothers and sisters,
100_9193.JPG
100_9194.JPG

Walnut is making future choices so much harder!:D

FINALLY! ;) thanks for humoring me. great pair there peter. brothers forever.

that toby's knife with the viktim really looks like a good team. i'm gonna end up ordering the toby's knife, aren't i? i do love the look of it. i gotta ask though peter...i know you designed it...and it seems that you are using it a lot. so, i have to ask. the specs say that the handle is 3 3/4". what do you think now? do you like the handle length? is it comfortable in the hand? i feel that i would want a longer handle, but i want to get your take. thanks.

Two? I've got a thrid on order for september :eek: "It's only just begun...ooo ooo oooooooo" :p:D

Great to hear theres another one heading out there, hope you like it bunches

I had to g to a funeral today, so I couldn't have been there at all, glad your enjoying your new JK's though

..have this slight suspicion this isn't the thread you thought it was, glad to hear from you anyway though.

Ooops again
I moved it but can't delete it from this thread, I think the title confused me.
Your design will also pair nicely with the ESH i ordered. I second the question about the handle lenght and would like to hear what u think.

As anyone who knows me will tell you, if you want any dimensions changed, all you have to do is ask. Unless it`s a major change, the prices remain the same as a standard model.

I hope you like it if you do. The handle length is 3 3/4 and I wouldn't change that, although if your hand covers a 4" handle completely that I'd make it bigger - I find a 3 1/2 fits my hand nicely, leaving no handle either side of my fist, I moved it to 3 3/4 so I could contour the handle and to give me that little extra for comfort.

I think every 1/4" of length makes a blade less likely to come with me when I don't think I'll need it. For an EDC, general use, "what's always one you" knife it's got a great balance between size, comfort in task and versatility. :) It's the fixed blade I have no problem with taking everywhere I'd take a folder, just because, and it really works for my hand. :D

Remember at 3/4 in height it's not a prybar anyway, unless there was no other choices. As a knife I would have on me if I suddenly got teleported into the woods (to put t in one mans wise words) I'd put my confidence in JK's work and heat treat if I had to but I think we work to the tools we have, and find ways of doing things with what's available. I think the JK TK is versatile enough I'd have no problem working to it's strengths and avoiding it's limitations, because every knife has limitations...except the Viktim, that things indestructible :p

Ooops again
I moved it but can't delete it from this thread, I think the title confused me.
Your design will also pair nicely with the ESH i ordered. I second the question about the handle lenght and would like to hear what u think.

Sorry for the confusion

As anyone who knows me will tell you, if you want any dimensions changed, all you have to do is ask. Unless it`s a major change, the prices remain the same as a standard model.

There is also this to be considered, :D

At 3 3/4 it's longer the the anniversary EDC by 1/4" and the EDC Kephart by 1/2" (I'm not sure if you guys have them to compare it to though)

thanks John....i know you are very willing to work with a customer. you've already convinced me of that. ;)

and KYe, i agree. i would prefer the shortest handle that my hand would allow. that is why i was asking. of course, since handle length is so personal, i suppose it is really a hard question to answer. my concern was with that last rise at the butt end of the handle (not sure what you call that), i was afraid it might dig into my pinky at 3 3/4". i have measured my hand and measured a couple other handles that are close. i think 3 3/4" might work, but i would maybe push it to 4". haven't decided.

anbyway....thanks for all the info. and, you have done a wonderful job marketing this knife. :) seriously though....i know this knife is very near and dear to your heart. and it is a superb design. i am going to put an order in once i figure out dimensions.

:D I'm becoming a JK advertising agent i know, ha, worse things i guess.

I'd say that "grove" or whichever is very welcoming, especially because it curves in remember it's actually longer then it should be, but I'd measure twice and all, used to drawn JK'S out and hold my hand in front of them, now it seems like I should've just been making cut outs all along.:p

I've though about a passaround before but my "spare" just got eaten up by my wife and now I'm "spare" less...damn mothers day, hiking boots aren't enough it seems. :p

thanks John....i know you are very willing to work with a customer. you've already convinced me of that. ;)

and KYe, i agree. i would prefer the shortest handle that my hand would allow. that is why i was asking. of course, since handle length is so personal, i suppose it is really a hard question to answer. my concern was with that last rise at the butt end of the handle (not sure what you call that), i was afraid it might dig into my pinky at 3 3/4". i have measured my hand and measured a couple other handles that are close. i think 3 3/4" might work, but i would maybe push it to 4". haven't decided.

anbyway....thanks for all the info. and, you have done a wonderful job marketing this knife. :) seriously though....i know this knife is very near and dear to your heart. and it is a superb design. i am going to put an order in once i figure out dimensions.

now, that's a mother's day gift! that's funny. and, i think you knew my question before i did (you'll see what i mean). ;)

"Who are you so wise in the ways of Science?!"

Was just standing around a moment ago, pulling my knife in and out of the sheath - as you do - and the lines of this thing just struck me all over again.

It's was like when I occasionally look into my knife "box" and realize "hey i have a really good set here, they're awesome" - not just JK's :eek:- as if somehow I'd forgotten. Don't know if anyone else has ever felt something like this, probably just me, normally is, ha :)

hope your all well.

A token pic for TPVT who's knife, that he has kindly sent for me to gawk at for a moment - are patiently waiting at the post office over night on account of our post"woman" hates me a little, :D

100_9196.JPG

I really enjoy seeing your knife in day to day use, kind of like "Diary Of An EDC." Most customers post one pic of their knives, then you never see it again.

I really enjoy seeing your knife in day to day use, kind of like "Diary Of An EDC." Most customers post one pic of their knives, then you never see it again.

Happy to help, :D, I know what you mean, I'm a big fan of the threads that show a knife over time, theres one on a case peanut that's been going for years. I'm keeping it to this thread because I figured as many as I take some people might not want to see it all the time and so they could just avoid this thread, :D I just love this thing.

Speaking of which, after sharpeing the edge of he Viktim before it gets sent out to grunt solider I decided it was time to put some mroe effort into my own EDC's edge, I tend not t sharpen my knives as good as they can everyday for a variety of factors a the principal of whihc is that I cut myself, especial in a hoe made sheath that I can somtimes push the tip of th JK TK out the other end if I'm not careful :) (gotta work on that BTW)

Anyway - I'd just whipped the counter top down so sorry for the nasty streaks.

101_9270.JPG
101_9273.JPG

I can't say I can do it al on a whetstone yet but I ca get a fair way and make it sharp enough I can't test it with my fingertip without being careful, and I'm happy with the progress
so far

This thread reminds me of someone who steals your garden gnome and then takes it on vacation and sends you pictures of their travels.

I have to say that it is definitely growing on me. Here's to many more pics!

This thread reminds me of someone who steals your garden gnome and then takes it on vacation and sends you pictures of their travels.
lol. that was excellent.

I have to say that it is definitely growing on me. Here's to many more pics!

Hey I could see that, :D

today it's travels took it to a boat launching area we hadn't heard of before, never seen this part of the river and it was very peaceful
IMAG0002.JPG
IMAG0004.JPG

Of course th JK TK came with us
IMAG0005.JPG

there would have been more shots but my wife kept scowling every time i tried to sneak it into pictures of me and the kids :(

Attachments

• IMAG0005.JPG
    IMAG0005.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
Back