Just returned from elk hunt; are we over thinking this?

"Good enough is the enemy of better" True statement.
But that doesn't mean that the "better" one doesn't do the job better. It just means that the lesser one will work well enough to get the job done.

Most workmen I know will obtain a better tool if they know about it and can afford it.

I think if someone says or believes that you NEED an expensive knife made of a "super steel" to get a job done that they are wrong (overthinking). People have been using "lesser" knives quite effectively throughout human history.

But if a person simply likes expensive knives, if they are really into high-end steels, understanding their molecular structure, and possess all kinds of expensive sharpening equipment, then no, I don't think they are overthinking. Anymore than a stamp or coin collector who obsessively pursues a prize piece for their collection, and spends hours looking at a stamp or coin under a lighted magnifier. Or a carpenter who buys an expensive hammer because he believes it's what works best for him.

Knives mean different things to different people. I like the usefulness of knives as tools, but I also like the idea of knives (they're just plain cool). I have "work" knives that have been abused on construction sites, and I have "treasure" knives that have never, and will never cut anything.

There are many people who depend on using knives to make a living who would never think of joining a knife forum. They will use whatever sharpened piece of steel is available to do the job, with no consideration of edge geometry or the molecular/metallurgical composition of the blade. And there are people who spend thousands of dollars a year on knives that will never cut anything more than a piece of string or an apple. Different strokes. I wouldn't say that either person is wrong, that either is overthinking, or underthinking.

Compare it to fishing- One guy spends thousands of dollars on a custom fly rod and reel, that's what he's into. Another guy just ties a string to the end of a stick because that's what works for him. Neither man is wrong, they just each enjoy fishing in their own way.

Last edited:
We may overthink it, super steels and fancy handles are not necessary. But sounds like some of those professionals are under thinking it.

knarfeng knarfeng ’s comments about workmen ring true for me. As a tradesman There is no way I’d go to work with sub standard tools. A nice Buck knife is not very expensive.

I agree with @MolokaiRider to a point. I've shown a lot of folks the pleasure of a sharp knife and they are nearly always impressed but it has been my experience that few them go beyond that and just go back to using whatever mostly dull tool they have.

I've never understood it.

I've got a friend like that. Let him use some of my nice knives and he raved about how great they were, but refuses to even consider a knife approaching $100. Meanwhile he has a $4000 custom coffee station and a $6000 bar in his house that he doesn't use lol.

I have field dressed deer with a Swiss Army knife. I much prefer to do it with a better knife. There are a lot of people out there that have never used a good knife so they don’t know what they are missing.
Their knives work, so why look for a "good knife" as they feel they already use a good enough knife. All you need is sharp and you can use a just about any knife. No need for beastly knives for this as they just get in the way and limit most people's dexterity.

All that said, I suspect most would appreciate a "good knife" gift especially if they liked it. It is generally a question of priorities.

I experienced a similar situation to yours in both the military and in the fire department. Knife companies' advertising says that military and first responders use only the highest quality and most high speed tactical tools available. This is absolutely not the case. Most infantry Marines used cheap folding knives bought at the base PX and carried the standard Ontario bayonet or Ontario fighting knife.

Same goes with the fire department. The most expensive knife I've seen someone use is probably a $100 Spyderco they got at a discount. Most use non-branded Chinese made knives with the "strap cutter" in the handle or Gerbers they get through government supply websites like GovX. They are always surprised how expensive and sharp my knives are, but would never bother purchasing one themselves. I don't blame them though, they always get the job done with the tools they have so they really dont need anything more expensive or with better steel.

"Good enough is the enemy of better" True statement.
But that doesn't mean that the "better" one doesn't do the job better. It just means that the lesser one will work well enough to get the job done.

Most workmen I know will obtain a better tool if they know about it and can afford it.

Indeed. I often thought that one of our fine knife companies could outfit a couple of guide services and perhaps garner some good press and word of mouth.

But then, the knives just might land in the hands of some folk who think their old piece was just fine and not see the difference.

I can't see how or why this would be, but it might just be the "and can afford it" part that keeps the idea from blossoming.

I went dear hunting one year, didn’t get anything.

When I was single I went dear hunting a lot, never had any luck.

In the past I've been deer hunting some, these days I almost never have a chance to go hunting. Funny though for awhile I collected custom hunting knives. If I ever did go hunting I would have a hard time choosing what knife to actually use. Well I realized that and I did pick out a knife from a local maker that I thought I would actually use.

Back in college I went hunting with my roommate. He had been a boyscout so he brought his little backpack with hunting gear. When I got a deer we discovered that his hunting knife was too dull to use so we used my small Schrade folding knife to dress the deer. We got it down to the point of fitting into a large ice chest for travel back home. I don't recall that this was particularly difficult.

About that same era my dad had a friend who had been a guide in Colorado. His favorite knife had been a folding Gerber hunting knife in 440 steel. I still have one and I think it would be a good hunting knife although I think I have others in my collection that would work better.

But back to the OP- we are overthinking it a bit. Humans seem to do that with whatever they get passionate about, whether cars, golf equipment, of knives. Workmen do usually underthink it, they are going to do the job with whatever cheap gear they have. They aren't interested in the gear, they would rather spend the extra money on beer, plus they will lose or damage expensive gear. I've had arguments with people about this- my wife has had plumbers, tile subcontractors, cabinet makers, carpenters and painters come in for her kitchen remodel and all of them used lesser tools than I have in my amateur workshop. I've been involved with cars for a long time and I find the situation better there, but I've still seen a lot of people using tools that I wouldn't want to use.

In the case of knives- I don't know how the guides would manage with inferior equipment, especially if they don't know how to sharpen it. Any cheap gas station knife can be sharpened and will work for awhile. A good knife will work longer. A knife that starts dull is already at a disadvantage no matter what it cost. I keep buying better and better steels for my use, but after awhile they still get dull and I have to resharpen, they just last longer between sharpenings.

I have used a Buck 110 and a few old knives that I couldn't even tell you what they were when I was young. As I got to the point I could afford to buy a knife I started noticing the difference in edge retention and other factors that for me were well worth the price increase. That is what got me more interested in knives and the types of steels and for that matter sharpening. Now don't get me wrong if it's sharp a less expensive knife will do everything a $500.00 dollar knife will ... for awhile at least.

I've hunted and trapped since I was big enough to tag along with my dad and probably 95% or more of the hunters and guides I have been around couldn't tell you what steel their knife was let alone anything about it other than brand name. Some have really changed their opinions after using a truly sharp knife that held it's edge through field dressing and breaking down an animal and decided it was worth it to them to spend a little more for a tool they use so much. Others have dismissed it and made statements they'd rather buy another gun than waste that on a knife. And that is their right and choice.

Fact is if you can sharpen a blade it won't make much difference in the time or way you dress out a deer or elk ... with the exception you will probably have to stop and touch up the edge a couple times or fight with a dulling knife as you go. If you've used a truly sharp knife to skin or dress animals then you know how much easy it makes the chore. I have found my favorite knives for field dressing are fixed blades in the 3.25" to 3.75" range. I carry a couple knives in my pack if hunting bigger than whitetail and use a boning type knife to break down an animal. And I use a small caper to skin with.

Short answer is YES I could easily do all chores in the field with most any knife ... but after dressing and butchering a lot of game animals I personally would gladly (and do) spend a bit more for high quality tools that are used during such a big part of my work as a guides knife. That doesn't have to equal crazy expensive either.

Last edited:
There's a difference between someone that does it for a living and someone who cleans game when they kill something. The guys that clean/dress game all the time are in shape/muscle memory for that type of work, if that makes sense. In a good year, I may clean four deer for the year. So, I want a knife/tool that will help me do the job better and make it easier. My Big Chris or CPK knives do a better job for me. Could I do the job with a lesser knife, absolutely, but I don't have to and that's the difference. Been there done that when I was younger, out of ignorance.
Hell, I've broke concrete with a hammer and chisel because that's all I knew then. Then, I discovered this modern thing called a jackhammer, and they're made in all different sizes. What a difference that made.;)
Today, I'm in the position where I can afford the better tools to make whichever job go smoother and saves time.

Lots of opinions and most seem justified.
Whatever shakes your bake..
I prefer nice stuff; usually costs quite a bit. It's my thing; no apology.
Other folks have other ideas...
We're all good folks here and respect each other's ideas.
NOT AT ALL LIKE THE ELECTION COMING UP.
Ain't it nice that we don't have that stuff messing up our fun?

I think knives are very much like cars--every functional car will get you from A to B, most would be happy with a 'good enough' car, but some are willing to pay an arm and leg for 'high performance' or 'collectable' cars and see things in a different light; whether any buyer can fully appreciate and drive the car to the full potential is entirely a different subject matter.

At the end of day, it's your money, your car and your knife, always do what makes you happy in a long run.

I agree with @MolokaiRider to a point. I've shown a lot of folks the pleasure of a sharp knife and they are nearly always impressed but it has been my experience that few them go beyond that and just go back to using whatever mostly dull tool they have.

I've never understood it.

The same can be said of any product. There is always a premium market for perceived value but most people get along fine with inexpensive products. A Timex can tell time as well as a Rolex and if a knife requires sharpening, who cares? Just a few swipes on an Arkansas stone and you are back in business within seconds. Just long enough for your buddy to take another sip of coffee or beer as they wait.

I knew an old deer hunter who had been hunting regularly for over 60 years. Not only had he hunted while in season, but he frequently poached to put meat on the table. When his health finally failed him, he asked me if I wanted one of his guns. He knew that I was into knives, so when I went by to pick up the gun he handed me his “hunting knife”, he had only ever had the one. It was the same knife that I remembered him carrying when he and my father had first taken me hunting as a young teen over 40 years ago. It was just a well worn and beat up Solingen import from the 1960s with a 4” blade. The pommel was now gone and simply replaced with a couple of washers and a common steel nut. There was nothing about that specimen that I would value as a collector. Yet, I know that simple knife had processed many hundreds (if not thousands) of deer and who know what else; and, it’s owner never felt the slightest need to replace it.

n2s

Last edited:
I've got a friend like that. Let him use some of my nice knives and he raved about how great they were, but refuses to even consider a knife approaching $100. Meanwhile he has a $4000 custom coffee station and a $6000 bar in his house that he doesn't use lol.
a few years ago I had a man order two of my custom culinary knives. We had met at a local farmers market where he brought a hatchet/ knives etc to me to sharpen and saw my knives there. I called when ready & he politely invited me to dinner at his home with his family. When I got there he had four custom handled Oyster shucker knives on display in the bar area & was using a commercial grade $10.00 Oyster knife to shuck a bag full & prepared them for us while having a beer in his Bar area of a very nice $$$$$$$ Brentwood Ca, home. While we were chatting and enjoying the Oysters etc I finally asked, why do you use those fancy comfortable handled Shucker blades at your bar?? He smiled & said that they look too pretty to use! There is telling what people will use no matter how much or how modest they live or spend! As long as they are happy! It’s their Biz!

The knife is a tool.
To use a tool analogy, when I used to go and help friends work on cars, I'd take four or five different ratchets.
Now can a cheap hardware store ratchet to the same thing as my Snap On ratchets?
Yes, and I have used the very same cheap crap without complaint.
Given a choice, I'd take my Snap On any day but I think you tend to use what you got.
If a cheap POS knife is all you got, well...for some folks that's all they know and all they care to know.
Some folks can do with cheap hardware store crap and some folks like Snap On.

For how much of human history was all that done with a sharp piece of rock?

I've carried knives in 440A, AUS-6, etc. I've taken my share of rabbits from field to table with 7Cr17Mov. I think we've all used old dull kitchen knives in worse steels at some point in our lives. Lots of things can be done with very little. Just because you can, should you?

Stuff like that tends to live near the base of the curve of diminishing return. Down there, you can take a sizeable step up for just a little extra. Steels like 14C28N can do a lot and do it fairly well without costing much. That's a good place to be. There have been times when I've noticed a friend using something like the examples in this thread and I've had the opportunity to give them a gift. There's nothing quite like knocking someone's socks off with a good piece of budget gear.

Back