1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Just USE the damn knife...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by stabman, May 25, 2019.

1. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    A properly washed and sterilized knife that touched some :poop: doesn't bother me as much as people that french kiss dogs . :eek:

Love my dogs , but not that way ! ;)

Prefer fixed blades for food or nasty stuff . Much easier to clean .

2. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    That's just sick. Why would anyone do such a thing?

Pomsbz and JC972 like this.
  3. benthughes

benthughes Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I've owned so many GD knives and now I just use what works and have basically sold the rest. I generally carry and use a Mora carbon which was $14. I carry a sharpening stone so it doesn't matter that it's not a super steel. I really like my Roselli UHC puukko and use that to cut the tops off cans... then sharpen it a as needed. I carry a Spyderco PM2 in my flight suit which, IMO , is the perfect folder. I used to think that I needed a folder like a Direware that I could use to pry in to a bank vault. Nah, man... those things are so big that you might as well be carrying a fixed blade. Buy some high carbon fixed blade monstrosity and go to work... then sharpen it.

Learn to sharpen. Your knife requirements will go waaaaaay down.

CVamberbonehead, peppercorn and JC972 like this.
  4. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    I lick kitty all da time lol

5. SuperJ

SuperJ

Apr 29, 2019
    I say use them for what they're made for.

6. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    We are talking dogs, here. Not kittens of any type.

7. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I have a couple knives that I keep more for collecting and preserving, but I don't carry those ones. I only carry ones I bought to use. When I first started getting into $100+ knives I kinda had to wean myself into it, but I'm happy to say I've reached the point where I won't hesitate to grab my Sebenza to cut notches in drywall, enlarge an opening in plywood, ream plastic conduit, saw big cardboard sheets, or even scrape a gasket.

However, picking open a toilet clog or getting dog crap out of my shoes is still a step too far.

Lapedog, Lance Leon and JC972 like this.
  8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    If any of y'all delicate individuals get some poo on your expensive knives , please send 'em to me for professional disposal of biohazard waste ! :rolleyes:

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Good luck with that. But regardless of what I say, I still have reservations about using really nice knives for regular cutting tasks.

I have seen the utility knives used at HD. I want to reach into my pocket for my knife to assist, but I resist that temptation unless they are struggling with the utility knife. I however would not risk loosing my job over a knife.

I feel the same way. If my usage results in a problem for the knife, I know that I used it because I had to. I'll fix it or buy another knife. Better yet, I will just grab one of the many I already own.

DocJD likes this.
  10. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Just another reason to carry two knives.

11. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Been there and done that. (The old manual power flush!) I have a steel rod (stiff coat hanger thickness) that stays in the bathroom I generally use. Stuff happens. But I have NEVER considered using a knife for something like this. Yuck!

JC972 likes this.
  12. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I used my Spydiechef to dig up a small rock with a shell fossil in it for one of my kids.

You could see the little shell on the top flat of the rock, but it was imbedded pretty tightly in hard packed caliche. Of course it had to be in one of the rare instances when I didn't have my SAK with me, otherwise the nail file would've done the dirty work. Also hard to find tool worthy sticks and such in the desert...

My kids enjoying a hiking trip and finding a cool souvenir seemed more important than the finish on my knife blade, so now the Spydiechef has a few more fine scratches and has been stropped again.

Surprisingly little edge damage though consider I used it to dig up a rock.

13. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Safe Queens?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heck no!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use em:

[​IMG]

COLD_WRENCH, jmh33, HwangJino and 3 others like this.
  14. WillB

WillB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    One you're willing to use and one you're not?

15. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    If I'm carrying it I use it, and I carry all of them( some just see heavier rotation than others)...it's my EDC needs that baby my knives ;)

16. herisson

herisson Knuckle dragging and mean minded Neanderthal Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Funny thing... because as knife nuts we tend to be kind of extreme : like "doing every thang with ma pocket knife, including unclogging the toilet !" (you read it here so it must be real...) to "every one of the hundreds of knives I posess and baby with oils, gums and stones (some worth more than some custom knives) get used strictly for their intended purpose". You read it here and it's real. I do that. I take no pleasure in abusing a refined tool. The pleasure is in getting the right application where the tool shines. To each his own, however. Have fun everybody.

CVamberbonehead and Lance Leon like this.
  17. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Love using my knives.
    [​IMG]

COLD_WRENCH, JBoone, Kiro and 8 others like this.
  18. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    No, one I’m willing to use for certain task and another four different task. For example, one to cut up fruit as part of my lunch and another to cut sheet rock.

19. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    It takes a big man to show the world that he paints his nails....:D

(not that there's anything wrong with that..... :))

20. ShannonSteelLabs

ShannonSteelLabs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 9, 2015
    I once used my Hoback A15 to pry myself out of a stuck garage elevator.

My previous co worker was all "hey let's check to see if the elevator works"
    And I said" dude... seriously? It's the COLDEST day of the year. There is no way it will work we definitely will get stuck"

Well he insisted. And we took it up to the 5th floor. Went to 4. Then got stuck between 3/4 or 2/3. And I proceeded to say. "I told you so dumbass."

We called the day porter to help. But he took a long time. So I was like well if there is any reason to use a knife in an emergency, this is it.

Pulled the knife out. Stuck it carefully between the door, and started prying it apart so I could get my hands in there.

It worked, and no damage to the knife. No bladeplay, no rocking, still rock solid. And we got to go back to the building and warm up. It was Damn cold that day.

I also have a para 3 in cruwear that use for literally everything. I bought it specifically to use as a work beater knife.

DocJD likes this.