Just USE the damn knife...

I once used my Hoback A15 to pry myself out of a stuck garage elevator.

My previous co worker was all "hey let's check to see if the elevator works"
And I said" dude... seriously? It's the COLDEST day of the year. There is no way it will work we definitely will get stuck"

Well he insisted. And we took it up to the 5th floor. Went to 4. Then got stuck between 3/4 or 2/3. And I proceeded to say. "I told you so dumbass."

We called the day porter to help. But he took a long time. So I was like well if there is any reason to use a knife in an emergency, this is it.

Pulled the knife out. Stuck it carefully between the door, and started prying it apart so I could get my hands in there.

It worked, and no damage to the knife. No bladeplay, no rocking, still rock solid. And we got to go back to the building and warm up. It was Damn cold that day.

I also have a para 3 in cruwear that use for literally everything. I bought it specifically to use as a work beater knife.
I've heard that it's a bad idea to open lift doors if you get stuck. Glad it worked out for you though - makes for a decent story too.

I've heard that it's a bad idea to open lift doors if you get stuck. Glad it worked out for you though - makes for a decent story too.
My previous job was building maintenance. We called the elevator contractor after we got out to fix everything. Fluid was too cold, and several other parts needed to be replaced.

And it does make for a great story!

I once used my ZT 0301 to pry up some ceramic tile in a T/I I was doing. My PM at the time thought I was effin nuts lol. I've always used everything I carry as a tool. I thought thats why I carried a knife lol.

lol. I've always used everything I carry as a tool. I thought thats why I carried a knife lol.

This is where I'm at. I won't carry a knife that I won't use, otherwise what's the point? I know I can repair and resharpen any knife I own, up to and including re-profiling the blade if necessary.

I'm not talking about heedless abuse! Knives aren't prybars or screwdrivers, and if I'm using one as such, you know I'm in pretty dire straits. If I have access to a tool that is designed for the job at hand or that will do it better, I'll go get it. If I have a task that needs to get done, and a knife will do it, and I don't have a better option... well, the job's going to get done and I'm not going to cry about scratching up what is, at the most basic level, a tool.

Back