Just wanted to let the folks at SOG know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. With a response like that, I am surprised Mr. Frazer isn't running for some public office.

I wasn't interested in SOG before, and this really solidified it.

I may have to pick up an Endura tonight..

You know, as Chief Designer, maybe Frazer's getting worn out. The thing to do would be hire new designers that will ensure revolutionary and/or innovative designs.

I would have more respect for SOG if they just came out and said " yea we borrowed some ideas from other knife companies/makers ".

Tostig

Like others, I never was a fan of SOG. With this statement, I probably never will be.:thumbdn:

Since our inception in 1986, we have seen the industry evolve and grow.

I bought a SOG Tech in 1986 and a Stingray not long after (maybe still in '86). I still have both, they've been great knives.

I hope this helps alleviate any concerns you may have, or at the very least clarify SOG's official position on the matter. As always, if you have thoughts or concerns you wish to share on a one on one basis, you can always email me at marketing@sogknives.com.

Chris Cashbaugh
SOG Marketing Director

It certainly clarifies SOGs position, but it definitely does not alleviate any concerns. It was an expected, corporate, answer. Very disappointing, very disappointing. Like others, I don't think you can compare a 200 year old bowie or tanto blade to copying the entire pattern of a competitors knife.

I know you're just the messenger Chris, I hope you don't get to much heat for it.

Wow! For Mr Frazer to have taken the time to prepare quite a lengthy respose to a thread like this?
Well, it MUST BE A BIG ISSUE now.
No one can say that Chris hasn't done his job in impressing upon his superiors the urgency of this pressing matter.
I am certain if there is any matters that might have to be resolved by the relevant parties pertaining to the issues imagined or otherwise, would be already set in motion...
All big boys can look after themselves and are probably very capable of minding their respective business interest without any help.
Gentlemen, may the best man win.

You know, I hope Spencer Frazer gets the message from this 100+ post thread of disappointment. We already had people not liking some of the newer designs last year, but that came down to preference, mostly. This year, it seems SOG has just lost a fair amount of loyal customers because of what they've done with these "new" designs. Sad...

I would have more respect for SOG if they just came out and said " yea we borrowed some ideas from other knife companies/makers ".

Tostig

You know, I would have swallowed that much easier than the official response. Even though it is a much shorter response, it would have been more honest.

No SOGs for me. I've not been satisfied with them for a couple of years now and this just sealed the deal. I won't recommend them to anyone. :mad:

I'll say, this is the most disappointment/disgust toward SOG that I've ever seen on this forum (and rightfully so). I understand the need to go out with the old and in with the new, but the new that is coming from SOG is simply not anything like the knives that made SOG great. I hope Chris continues to relay these messages to the big wigs at SOG.

I am and have rethought buying any of the new stuff. I am still going to snatch up the old school designs but the newer ones are off my list. After reading Spencer's statement I am sniffing politics and I dont like that. I hope SOG returns to their original designs,marketing and customer base.

I used to buy nothing but SOGs but their quality slipped a few years ago and now they are off my list. Notwithstanding the copycat issue, their knife designs are bland, cheap looking, and have inferior materials.

I sincerely hope SOG turns around.

I'm hoping SOG learns from the forum and their mistakes and turns their company around. I understand wanting to make more affordable knives for those that don't obsess over knives like most of us, but they do have some pretty low spec materials on their new knives. Low enough that I wouldn't recommend them to even my non-knife friends.

I was just about willing to give some of the new SOGs a try, but then the 2010 models were unveiled. At least they have a new NW Ranger and Tsunami.

This by far is the most stunning part of the response.

"On another note we are concerned with the threat to all of the legitimate knife companies and knife buying public with the blatant copy and counterfeiting of products. There are people out there who are exactly copying a product, brand name, logo, and even packaging. We have seen this in greater incidence and are actively combating each and every occurrence."

SOG is worried about "the blatant copy and counterfeiting of products" yet from the looks of things, they have no problem doing it themselves. Sad.

This by far is the most stunning part of the response.

"On another note we are concerned with the threat to all of the legitimate knife companies and knife buying public with the blatant copy and counterfeiting of products. There are people out there who are exactly copying a product, brand name, logo, and even packaging. We have seen this in greater incidence and are actively combating each and every occurrence."

SOG is worried about "the blatant copy and counterfeiting of products" yet from the looks of things, they have no problem doing it themselves. Sad.

Now, now. SOG didn't copy everything absolutely exactly and/or copy logos. That makes it ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back