Just wanted to let the folks at SOG know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be SOGless as well. I cannot stand those types of autogenerated, vague, cookie-cutter responses to a legitimate concern. It shows a complete lack of character & concern on behalf of Mr. Frazer. I agree with Tripton, Mr. Frazer sounds like he is gearing up for some elected office.
As for Chris, I'm sorry you are catching heat for this, we all know you have nothing to do with this. Nothing against you at all. As far as I can tell, you've always done your best to answer questions and help with product info that is something I respect. The rest of this business is another story.

I am new to the knife hobby - I bought my first real knives just a couple of months ago. As it happens they were a SOG Aegis and Flash I. Since then I've bought a Benchmade Nagara, Spyderco Kiwi, Tenacious, and Endura G10 knives, Kershaw G10 Tyrades in tan and orange, Kershaw Leek, Skyline and Bump ti knives (with a Speedform on back order), a Boker Exskelibur, a Buck Vantage Avid, and (unfortunately) a CRKT Lake Laredo. I even bought a Spyderco Spyderpac to store my collection and a Sharpmaker to sharpen them. I've spent an unhealthy amount of time browsing this forum and watching Youtube knife videos.

I am already a fairly obsessed collector, and obviously will consider a wide array of manufacturers. Based on the blatant plagiarism of designs I've seen depicted in this thread, and SOG's reaction to being caught red-handed, though, SOG is no longer among the brands I will consider purchasing. I don't like wasting my money on inferior ripoffs of original designs, nor do I want to reward such flagrant thievery. SOG, you're dead to me.

It's hard to see how these designs were justified in the first place, but the cutout in the hole has got to be one of the worst design choices I've ever seen.

it's not a "design" choice.

it's a "How Can We Keep Spyderco's Lawyers Off Our Backs While We Rip Off Their Designs" choice.

Well, I guess I'm one of the few who are still going to be SOG customers. There's no doubt that SOG has some designs that lack in the innovation department but so far all of the SOG's I own function perfectly - and are affordable.

Well I tell ya what. All those people who are all pissed and hate SOG now, you can all send all of your SOG knives to me. I'd be happy to alleviate all that stress of owning something you hate for you. Please, let me carry the burden in your place. PM me for my address. I'll make sure that they're spit on regularly and get no pudding at night.

No I would keep the old ones as relics to show the children as an example of a time when ingenuity, creativity, and good business ethics enabled a company to produce it's own great, practical, useful, and original products.

In all honesty I haven't scratched SOG off my list I do like their unique new original products like the Pendulum (I have scratched the fielder off my list a no go for me I changed my mind.)

I just don't see any appeal in the SOGzilla and the others like it. To be honest I got a chuckle when I looked at it ok truthfully more like a full hearted laugh.

I cannot stand those types of autogenerated, vague, cookie-cutter responses

It was kind of generic and really didn't answer the questions being asked. Of course, it was a response to numerous threads and multiple questions, and not really intended to address specific questions.
I use to work for the government and got where I could write that sort of thing all day long...I've tried to amend my ways since. :)

The issue of who is copying who has been around for decades and I doubt it will be resolved here. I'm going to assume the guys running these comany's are far more knowledgeable about the issues and they and their lawyers are perfectly capable of working out any real infringements.

For me personally, I doubt this issue will make a difference in if I do or don't buy SOG.
For those who it matters to, I perfectly understand and you have the absolute right to vote with your wallet.

This is how much I used to love Sog.

IMG_0188.jpg

I still have the Scuba demo, and a Seiki seal pup but all of the rest are long gone. I feel like Sog's decline began with their move of production to Taiwan, and then the Fusion line. And now they seem to be making a lot of other potential customers angry with a lot of copies of others' knives. Sog I feel that your future is going to have to be in the flea market bins next to the cold steel and the MTech knives. People who are very Framilliar with the knife buisness you are turning them away by this latest few years outpour of garbage. Seems to me that your sales will have to target the very casual knife buyer who doesn't know what's going on, isn't framilliar with any other companie's designs, and doesn't care where a knife is made, just that it looks cool to them.

You know, if I want to buy a Spyderco I want a Spyderco, not a knock off. If I want a Sog I want a Seal 2000, or a Recon Bowie, not this cheap ass garbage fusion line. I swore when I saw the fusion line I'd never buy another Sog knife, and now it seems to be getting worse. Sog make a U-Turn here please.

Hey I've got an idea! How about all you whiners put your money where your mouth is and give away any Sog products you have, to really demonstrate your contempt for Sog?
I could probably be persuaded to take them off your hands. I'm pretty sure they'd be in great shape too, because a bunch of crybabies like you would probably never have cut anything with them.

Hey I've got an idea! How about all you whiners put your money where your mouth is and give away any Sog products you have, to really demonstrate your contempt for Sog?
I could probably be persuaded to take them off your hands. I'm pretty sure they'd be in great shape too, because a bunch of crybabies like you would probably never have cut anything with them.

Fanboy much?

Clearly you dont understand why so many of us are angry over this.

You need to re-read this thread and think before you respond. No one is mad about what SOG has done in the past...in fact there was positivity in regards to SOG's past offerings. Its about what SOG has chosen to do...selling the old products will make no difference, its about migrating to other brands nowand in the future so that SOG will feel the effect of their decision in this years revenues. Hopefully they will realize what they have done is a vile and unethical of conducting business.

You need to re-read this thread and think before you respond. No one is mad about what SOG has done in the past...in fact there was positivity in regards to SOG's past offerings. Its about what SOG has chosen to do...selling the old products will make no difference, its about migrating to other brands nowand in the future so that SOG will feel the effect of their decision in this years revenues. Hopefully they will realize what they have done is a vile and unethical of conducting business.

+1 exactly, couldn't have phrased it better myself!

i used to love SOG, the SOG S1 bowie, the powerplier was my first multitool, but at one point sog just became tacky. Just look at the moment they started drilling SOG in their handles? Or the horrible Battle axe. Suddenly i wondered where the SOG brand was going? What happend with SOG making tools for armed professionals?
Why didn't sog stayed true to it's heritage and started making fashion knives, flashy colours, and worse printed blades!

I don't know if i will ever buy a sog knife. My fear is that sog will try to compete with the five dollar chinese junk knives, but the customers they reach will not know the difference nor will they care. Why would they pay 65 bucks for a sog that looks and feels the same as a maxam?

So they might loose all in the end, the respect of the knife collectors AND that of Joe Average who think they are overpriced!

SOG has sold out big time.

What a BS response. So the founder and chief designer cannot come up with something that's not a blatant copy? Nice. :thumbdn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back