Just wanted to let the folks at SOG know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of the dust-up a few years back between BM and Spyderco fans over the “hole” (and please don’t start that one again). After all was said and done it ended up just being a small bump in the road and everybody moved on :)

I’m a SOG fan and will buy more in the future- some of mine

sog_agency_inhand_1.jpg

my_sog_autos.JPG

my_sog_super_bowie.jpg

my_sog_daggerts.JPG

Perhaps you will notice that the pictures you posted are of ORIGINAL designs.

PS: Benchmade did work out a deal with Spyderco. All we have heard from SOG is silence.

Welcome to the forums.

You guys DO know that they still have a bunch of high dollar extremely high quality knives in production, right?

X2
I just bought a SEAL 2000 (out of production) and I'm going to get a Super Bowie and SEAL Pup Elite. Their fixed blades are by and large great knives. Just don't buy what they thought would boost sales rather than letting the good knives rot.

Yes Spyderco designs work quite.

SOG designs (I am talking about original SOG designs now) are quite intriguing and function quite well.

I may have a look at some of their new original designs (I am talking about SOG inspired designs now) and try them out.

I think I will avoid any bean counter rear end inspirations though.

Actually when you have a Zilla in hand, you will find it even better than that from Spyderco.

Spyderco makes a SOGzilla now?:confused: That would indeed be funny, Spyderco making a version of a SOG version of a Spyderco.:p Maybe the SOGzilla series is another attempt at what SOG calls a "Reverse Collaboration," except perhaps this time, they forgot to mention where they got their inspiration.;)

Maybe this is another one of those "collaborations?":rolleyes:

I've tried three of the SOGzillas, they work.
Just FYI. :)
Denis

Did you expect them not to work?:confused: I'm sure we'll read all about it in an upcoming magazine article of yours.

Evaluated solely on their own merits, they're decent knives, which is about all I was trying to point out.
Denis

i can't agree about some "original designs" because SOG's flagship knives (SOG Bowie, SOG Recon Bowie, SOG Scuba/Demo) were designed by Conrad 'Ben' Baker in the sixties.

True, but that being said I don't recall the Vietnam knives being copyrighted. After all, they were fighting a war - the knife was to be used, not marketed for sale. Companies took advantage of this and used the design. Randall, SOG, Hattori, Al Mar, etc... all had

However now we are talking about modern copyrighted designs by one company. Direct copy-and-paste is a real thing to be ashamed of. :rolleyes:

EDITED: SOG publicly says and it does not hide that its original models were designed by Ben Baker. But like I said, regarding the 2010 designs, all we have heard is.... silence.

Last edited:
Sincerest form of flattery...

I wouldn't be surprised, actually, if Spyderco's lawyers already knocked on SOG's doors and demanded a cut of the profits - and SOG of course gave it to them.

When you come down to it, big companies generally live and let live because they can afford to. Even the badass caveman some call Lynn Thompson eventually took his accusations about Mick Strider off his site.

Had SOG copied the design of some custom knifemaker here on BF, I suspect they'd have sued for all they're worth.

Well, I guess I'm one of the few who are still going to be SOG customers. There's no doubt that SOG has some designs that lack in the innovation department but so far all of the SOG's I own function perfectly - and are affordable.

I agree. I won't buy the ripoffs, and likely no one else will either, so they will pry be out of the catalog soon. But SOG has good knives and I don't let stupid politics or national boundaries stop me from buying a decent knife. Every company has its stumbles.

One other thing to maybe keep in mind is that, despite intense pressure to come up with "new" every year, there's only so much that can be truly new.
New merely for the sake of new will not automatically guarantee a superior product or design.

Denis

I will continue to nbuy their products as I have never got a bad one, If spyderco figures that they are gtting ripped off, then that is there issue to deal with

Probably a private settlement has been reached (in the form of compensation), which is why some may ponder why Spyderco hasn't acted.

I'm thinkin' this is purely a matter of marketing for SOG. By way of analogy, John Deere is producing cheap, poorly built lawn tractors for Home Despot; same with Troy-Built for Lowes. Even Sears Craftsman has a low-quality line of wrenches (Crapsman?). But it doesn't stop me from buying the good stuff.

An educated consumer is still the best customer.

"Probably a private settlement has been reached (in the form of compensation), which is why some may ponder why Spyderco hasn't acted."

I wouldn't assume that at all.

It's virtually impossible to legally protect knife designs (as in shapes) no matter how 'unique to you' it is.

You could do a 'design patent,' but if they alter it a tiny bit. they're home free. ---Plus, it'll cost you big $ to gamble that the judge will see it your way. I can't imagine anyone spending $100K to litigate the details of a knife shape when judge could very well dismiss saying, "a knife's a knife".

You could get a trademark on a particular feature (like a hole in a particular place), but they're not going to let you trademark something as abstract (to a lawyer) as a knife shape (unless there was something really, really peculiar about it.)

A copyright is not going to help protect a knife shape.

One of the reasons copying knife designs is such a sore spot is because there's virtually nothing you can do about it. So if you spend time and $ developing and marketing a knife design and someone comes along and makes a copy to compete with yours, it's very frustrating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back