KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

I'm extremely interested in the TDI LE 1480, but there isn't much buzz on here about it. I could really use one at work to replace my folder and would love to read people's opinions or reviews.

I try to stir interest on here but there are few takers.

I did a little bit of interwebs scouring for yah, and the only cons I can find is about the sheath, some say it digs in your side, dulls the knife, hard to re-sheath quickly, and may need some modification... take all that for what it is worth because it is not my mileage. Nothing bad could be said about the blade.

In my opinion, with only handling one, and not for very long. I think it will do exactly what is advertised, be a off hand retention blade in need of emergency... but we all know that... I hope it would do what is advertised, but my take is it would be great for some edc tasks, maybe all. The cant of the blade would lend it to natural slicing movements. Like imagine opening a box in front of you. With a strong/straight wrist the edge would be primed for slicing, and quick albeit short tip penetration. For general use I think it would do just fine... However, it probably would be an adjustment from your normal day to day.

My only real hesitation would be, is it more advantageous that any other smaller fixed blades? If your looking at self defense purposes, then I would say yes... But I would have to have one in hand to really know 100% about anything else.... at 30-40 smackers it may not be too bad of an investment.

What kind/type of folder are you attempting to replace with it?

Thanks for that iwould. I'm looking for a push dagger or self defense fixed blade to wear under or on my duty rig, for work. I was looking at a Benchmade but they are waay overpriced (99 dollars, holy crap!!) I'm not interested in the blade for outside of work so that is why I don't want to burn up a wad of cash. What I'm trying to get away from is carrying a folder clipped to a pocket. They are hard to deploy quickly under stress. Besides, they just scream "Hey, Mr I.E Badguy, look!! Here is a knife for you to grab out of my pocket and stab me with." ya know what I mean? The TDI and other push dagger types can be worn on the standard belt "under the duty rig" and are not so noticeable.

Right now I got some Gerber POS.

Finally got a whisker bicuit and made a sling bow today. These things are fun. Need to make a fishing rig for it now.
Good on you man! I decided to wait years until now to do it only to find that particular biscuit is no longer made, they've upgradrd/redesigned their rest including the replacement biscuits.

Picked up a slingshot for it today though anyway, it's down to using a large keyring now I guess, but that's just not the same..

Thanks for that iwould. I'm looking for a push dagger or self defense fixed blade to wear under or on my duty rig, for work. I was looking at a Benchmade but they are waay overpriced (99 dollars, holy crap!!) I'm not interested in the blade for outside of work so that is why I don't want to burn up a wad of cash. What I'm trying to get away from is carrying a folder clipped to a pocket. They are hard to deploy quickly under stress. Besides, they just scream "Hey, Mr I.E Badguy, look!! Here is a knife for you to grab out of my pocket and stab me with." ya know what I mean? The TDI and other push dagger types can be worn on the standard belt "under the duty rig" and are not so noticeable.

Right now I got some Gerber POS.

Ok here is my 2 cents again lol.... I would prefer the larger blade for that and go for the TDI LE 1482... If you think the smaller blade would be fine then stick with that... As far as price and design you really are not going to find anything else in a "push dagger" set up besides the Benchmade Adamas push dagger, and one of Cold Steels push daggers that are going to be of any quality... If you want it to have more utility then I would go for the TDI 1480, or 1482, best price, and probably best all around performance.

Ok here is my 2 cents again lol.... I would prefer the larger blade for that and go for the TDI LE 1482... If you think the smaller blade would be fine then stick with that... As far as price and design you really are not going to find anything else in a "push dagger" set up besides the Benchmade Adamas push dagger, and one of Cold Steels push daggers that are going to be of any quality... If you want it to have more utility then I would go for the TDI 1480, or 1482, best price, and probably best all around performance.

Yup, that's what I was thinking as well. Thanks again.

Hey, I have a question for y'all. Is the ka-bar #1117's standard sheath compatible with the TDI clip or any size tek-lok? Seriously want to know so I don't waste money. Any help you guys can give me would be most appreciate
d.
Thanks.

Hey, I have a question for y'all. Is the ka-bar #1117's standard sheath compatible with the TDI clip or any size tek-lok? Seriously want to know so I don't waste money. Any help you guys can give me would be most appreciate
d.
Thanks.

Too bad you didn't ask before I sold my 1117, I use a TDI clip on my BK14 sheath.

d.
Thanks.
2nd review of the 1st site I visited via Google says that the TDI is "not a perfect fit but can be made to fit"

Its imposible to waste money on kabar cro-van, welcome to the family bud.

2nd review of the 1st site I visited via Google says that the TDI is "not a perfect fit but can be made to fit"

Its imposible to waste money on kabar cro-van, welcome to the family bud.

He probably means wasting money on the clip.

FWIW I got my TDI clip used from that river store still attached to a sheath for about $5. That was probably three years ago though.

That's great! Thank you both for the help. Even if it's not a perfect fit, so long as it works that's all I need to convince me. I love KA-BAR and the 1117 is going to be a great addition to my e.d.c. set. Truly, thanks boys. Good to be a part of the family, by the by.

That's great! Thank you both for the help. Even if it's not a perfect fit, so long as it works that's all I need to convince me. I love KA-BAR and the 1117 is going to be a great addition to my e.d.c. set. Truly, thanks boys. Good to be a part of the family, by the by.

Remember, all I did was quote a review on the internet. So, if it ain't right, don't blame me ;)

Hmmm. Seems the Ka-Bar fans just aren't into snarking like all the drunken degenerate Beckerheads. :D

That reminds me, I need to get more beer.

Hmmm. Seems the Ka-Bar fans just aren't into snarking like all the drunken degenerate Beckerheads. :D

That reminds me, I need to get more beer.

I'm sure if more disreputable Kabarbarians frequented it would be different.

Back