Photos Kepharts...They just Work

@ONeill done an awesome job on this kephart style I ordered from him. A2 with slight hollow grind and terro tuff handles. He also done the custom sheath with ferro rod holder and a pocket for a small artic fox sharpening stone.

View attachment 1081988

I like that. I'm generally not a fan of ONeill's design, just not my type, but I like that one. Maybe it's just the wood handles he uses that makes them look just a little "blah" to me. It's almost like they're too clean. I really like how that terotuff makes that blade look.

I like that. I'm generally not a fan of ONeill's design, just not my type, but I like that one. Maybe it's just the wood handles he uses that makes them look just a little "blah" to me. It's almost like they're too clean. I really like how that terotuff makes that blade look.
Yeah I generally like his designs. I have a couple of his edc blades that i pocket carry. This one I sent him a drawing with the design and dimensions I wanted. He had a few suggestions for the design as well and was super easy to work with.

JWH - it reminds me of mine in 3V

That is a great is a great looking knife, you have excellent taste :D. I originally wanted mine in 3v but after talking with jack he doesn't really work with it and reccomended a2 which I am happy with. It seems quite tough and maintains a working edge a reasonable amount of time ( not anywhere near as good as 3v though) and is easily field sharpened.

Thank you. Aaron of Gray Wolf made it for me. Originally he didn't have any 3V but somehow he found a supplier and now is including 3V in his offerings.
I'm generally a carbon steel kinda guy, but you're right, there's something about 3V.

I watch the for sale area here like I'm sure a lot of us do and I made an observation, I never see any BK62's for sale? No Becker Kepharts. Are people not buying them in the first place or are they simple not wanting to give them up?
I think the latter.
I know the weather in my neck of the woods is starting to warm up and I'm itching to get out!

Don't know if people are buying them in sufficient numbers for Kabar to keep the knife in their line. But they finally have it listed on their website which is a good sign. I know that there was a rush to buy that knife when it first came out and I was included in those early orders. Just don't know about continued sales to non-knife knuts.

The Becker Kephart is a really nice knife and has a great feel in my hand. That is about all I can say about it and a good one to own if you like the blade shape.

Don't know if people are buying them in sufficient numbers for Kabar to keep the knife in their line. But they finally have it listed on their website which is a good sign. I know that there was a rush to buy that knife when it first came out and I was included in those early orders. Just don't know about continued sales to non-knife knuts.

The Becker Kephart is a really nice knife and has a great feel in my hand. That is about all I can say about it and a good one to own if you like the blade shape.
22 - I think for the price you can't go wrong. No, it might not look like a tactical knife, but it isn't supposed to. I know you know that. But, it is VERY utilitarian.

People complain that the price is over $100 unlike most Beckers. But, I haven't checked pricing on the BK-9 lately... The BK-62 Kephart is a good knife to own if you are a woods person.

You get one yet Uncle Timbo?

Spring has pretty much sprung in my area. I really need to get off my butt and hit the woods. Considering a hike up to Russell Field, a place I have never been in the Smoky Mt NP.

Resizing some photos to make them more viewable, so I thought I'd repost this. :)

u0FMiXa.jpg

I think the BK62 is getting kept. It was listed pretty quick by everyone and many people grabbed multiples, like. I will say, having got into my first busse purchase straight from the man for the first time, I'm surprised how many people buy several and then dump the combination they least like. Given, the BK62 isn't nearly as expensive and only has one combo, but those buying multiples aren't selling their backups. I've only seen 3 or 4 listed so far.

I thinking people complaing about it beig over $100 are forgetting that knife price increases are pretty consitent each year and it's a lot harder to get a good knife under $100 than to used to be. Still plenty under $100, but there used to be tons of them.

I think the bk62 is getting rave reviews from the youtube reviewers as well, but I haven't been seeking them out either since I already have my impressions. If I stumble upon one, I listen to some of it. See how the reviewers are using it. I was surprised one said it batoned well... I think it's a crappy battoning knife and it really shouldn't be batoned at all if you wabt it to last a long time. It's a lot thinner than most modern knives, and slices better than nearly anything else I've had as well.

The fact that a lot are not showing up in the secondary market I think people are using them, like them and holding onto them, they work. A good knife with some good design thoughts.

I think the BK62 is getting kept. <snip>

I thinking people complaining about it being over $100 are forgetting that knife price increases are pretty consistent each year and it's a lot harder to get a good knife under $100 than to used to be. Still plenty under $100, but there used to be tons of them.
I also think the BK-62 is being kept. It seems quite a few of the Beckerheads purchased two. I have too many knives to buy two of them. Just don't use fixed blades enough to merit a second although I still wish I had purchased two BK-15's, especially when they were being discounted for the closeout.

My take on price is (1) Walnut handles increase price. (2) Leather sheath increases price over other Beckers. (3) I suspect that there are two royalties being paid on this one; one to Ethan and one to the Kephart clan. I think Horace would have liked the Kabar/Becker re-creation of his design. I think he would have preferred a higher end powder steel however. Would love to see Kabar make a 3" to 4" version also, but 5" is precisely what I wanted with a Kephart. The little Condor Bushlore (Mini) is a useful little knife, but of course it is only a 3 finger knife.

I believe it should do okay for light batoning (kindling). I would have no hesitation to use it for that.

Added: The price on the BK-62 Kephart seems to be dropping (about $10) if you look around.

Last edited:
People complain that the price is over $100 unlike most Beckers. But, I haven't checked pricing on the BK-9 lately... The BK-62 Kephart is a good knife to own if you are a woods person.

You get one yet Uncle Timbo?

Spring has pretty much sprung in my area. I really need to get off my butt and hit the woods. Considering a hike up to Russell Field, a place I have never been in the Smoky Mt NP.
No, I haven't got one as of yet. I sold my one ML Knives Kephart and that leaves me with my 3V custom one. I'd prolly get a BK62 now but I have another custom on the way. :oops: This one was not designed by me and is supposed to be as close to the original as any out there.

I think if you got a full sized JK Kephart it would be cool. His handles are nice and the heat treat of his 01 is great.

I think if you got a full sized JK Kephart it would be cool. His handles are nice and the heat treat of his 01 is great.
Thanks for the suggestion brother. I just checked them out and I must say they are some good looking knives. While there won't be one in my immediate future, who knows?

Just noticed that Condor has come out with a mini Kephart. (They are calling it the Compact Kephart.) The blade is listed at 2.57" of 1095 with a walnut handle. I would kind of like to see one in person. (I corrected the blade length and steel.)

Last edited:
I really like the looks of these but wonder if I have a need for one. I settled on bowies as my camp and hiking knives a while back and feel under-knived if the blade is less than 9". Like them just in case a pack of those javalinas I always encounter decides they no longer like me. I also do very little outdoors knife stuff outside of food prep and cleaning the occasional fish.

But that handle got me. It looks, and sounds, very comfortable. Been into knives for a LONG time and just recently found one with the perfect handle. Figured I'd try to add another that is actually pleasant to use. Settled on a Dozier Kephart in 3v. Not sure if I'm ready to quit playing Jim Bowie but I'm gonna give these a try.

Back