Kerry Hampton Knives

I have been a slacker at knife making...there, I said it. The reasons are too numerous to mention and some of them are just plain bellyachin'. That said, I am planning on having some time to commit to making knives again and here are some images of my shop/playhouse that has been coming together since last January. I was able to pick up some grinders and a Rockwell tester and other things from the estate of Joe Allen. I just set up a new Grizzly surface grinder last evening. I need to work on dust collection and a new milling machine and HT oven is on it's way. This coming Friday, Reese Bose and I are driving to Corydon, Indiana to pick up a horizontal grinder from a retired knife maker friend of ours...Bill Keeton. As the economy grinds to a halt, I am spending money like it's growing on trees and, as I write this, I am telling myself, this doesn't seem very smart. Oh well...full speed ahead..DAMN THE TORPEDOS! :cool:
Congratulations, on picking your destined occupation up, and putting it back on the rails!!
Can I get on your list?? 😲
Nice to see you again!!!:cool:

That's a fantastic shop Kerry! Even has a bar! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 😊
What a perfect place for a bunch of knife folks to hang out and compare notes.
Lots of luck to you! I've been spending money in the shop as fast as I make it, but as long as it's going towards
a job I'm passionate about it's all good in my book.

Eric

Great to see you getting back into it! Would love to travel down and pick you, Reese and Brent's brain one of these days.

Fresh off of the KnifeHead KnifeHead workbench and the first knife with his new stamp. Nothing says Christmas like a KHnutbuster in A2! Looking forward to seeing more as Kerry goes full-time. I love the shield!
B57BdjK.jpg
pg8NKUs.jpg
NYLrCJv.jpg
BAqpPvr.jpg

I saw somewhere on a post, they said the knife they posted was "pre-patina'd" rather than saying it was "etched" :D I like that. Thanks, Mike. Sorry for the ugly phone pix. I will try to do better next time ;)

Dayum, I MADE THAT!?! Whew, might have to try that one again. Sweetest knife pattern ever. Thanks for the memories, E. ;)

Yeah, you really showed your talents with that one, Kerry. It is one of a very select group of knives that I value above all others.
I appreciate your having made it for me...and glad to see you still in the game.

Dayum, I MADE THAT!?! Whew, might have to try that one again. Sweetest knife pattern ever. Thanks for the memories, E. ;)
I must concur, Eureka Jack is my favorite pattern. This is such a nice example, I also said "Day-Um!" before reading your response. Love the bone and jigging! Please do make another, and share a pic with us?

Elliott, are you in need of a kidney or a piece of a liver? :D ;)
That's a treasure! I carry my Case - Bose collaboration Eureka Jack all the time. Great knife, even with that pen blade!

KnifeHead KnifeHead Awesome work Kerry!
Well, I am almost done with COVID at the moment, maybe if you had offered to take it on my behalf...

(I wouldn't wish it on you, brother. The missus is getting over it as well but for the lingering b.s.)

Well, I am almost done with COVID at the moment, maybe if you had offered to take it on my behalf...

(I wouldn't wish it on you, brother. The missus is getting over it as well but for the lingering b.s.)
Sorry to hear that! I'm glad to hear you are both getting it behind you. We've managed to avoid it so far, although many we're close to haven't. Knock on wood....

Going full time? Congratulations Kerry.

Here's an older KnifeHead KnifeHead KHnutbuster, with a pre-patina'd A2 blade.
As a matter of fact, since you sort of mentioned it, retirement is just around the corner for me. I have 11 work days left in the year but I have to burn 5.5 vacation days before December 31. I know, that was kind of a long answer for "Yes, I am going full time". I will qualify that with a "BUT" because making knives isn't going to be a job for me. Somebody somewhere else on the BForums (who does not know me) said that Kerry Hampton is a "hobbyist maker" so I guess that is what I am. That means I love to make knives and I DON'T HAVE TO make knives. The shop is mostly ready to do this thing so that's what I am going to do.

Did you say retirement? 🤯 You're almost a certifiable old fart!

Somebody somewhere else on the BForums (who does not know me) said that Kerry Hampton is a "hobbyist maker" so I guess that is what I am. That means I love to make knives and I DON'T HAVE TO make knives.

Since you love to make knives, let me know when you're ready to take my order for a Cattaraugus W1. Better make it two, I'm sure waynorth waynorth won't be able to resist a combination wrench/harness jack knife. ;)

Last edited:
Did you say retirement? 🤯 You're almost a certifiable old fart!

Since you like to make knives, let me know when you're ready to take my order for a Cattaraugus W1. Better make it two, I'm sure waynorth waynorth won't be able to resist a combination wrench/harness jack knife. ;)
An HJ yes!! But I'll pass on the wrench!!
Remember this one, Kerry?? @KnifeHead:cool:KH Cat 1.jpg

Back