Knife experts! Advice needed!

so many good suggestions here...I have owned the ZT 0450, ZT 0770 and they are great, but rather small knives in my hand, which is why I sold them. The Sage 2 is a super model, titanium scales, good 3" blade-steel, about 0.450" thickness (grip) and will last forever. The Sage 1 is also very nice and much cheaper to buy. Spyderco and ZT are my favorite brands, and I've had many models of each. I am basically a Spydie junkie...with no apologies for my choice.
A Spyderco Manix lightweight in S110v might be the cat's meow for you...and it's reasonably priced. The Spyderco Chaparral or the Spyderco Caly series (Caly 3, Caly 3.5) are also wonderful, light, thin folders with excellent blade-steels. I carried a Caly 3 at work for three or four yrs...and needed nothing larger.
There are so MANY great choices. Probably you would like a 3" bladed folder and do not exceed four ounce weight for carry comfort, and you won't scare the ladies.

Sounds like you need a Spyderco Delica w/Lil'Para profile MODIFICATION...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1390160-Spyderco-Delica-w-Lil-Para-profile-MODIFICATION?highlight=lil+para I have one and I love it way more than the standard Delica...I always wanted a Delica with a choil, lol.

The ZT0452 is a great choice, but the 0808 is a great option also. Kershaw Skyline, CS Recon or American Lawman, Spyderco Native or Sage, Benchmade Griptilian Sheepsfoot or Barrage or 705/707 series. If you love your 940, have you looked at a 943? The clip point blade "seems" smaller, although it's the same length as the reverse Tanto.

Kizer Gemini or Velox 2 or Vanguard Dukes or Vanguard Flashbang...Kizer offers some incredible value knives in the Vanguard series.

Lionsteel TRE G10 or Southern Grind Spider Monkey...

So. Many. Knives.

Good luck!

What about a Native? Somewhere in between yours and tough as nails! I use a LW for work and have had no problems.
Joe

I was checking out the native on BladeHQ! What's that knife all about? It looked really nice, but I had no idea what is was meant to be used for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the Kizer sub-forum, there are some of the newer models shown. All very high quality for the price. Don't quote me, but I think the titanium framelocks have bearing pivots. The budget priced g10 linerlocks use washers. But it may be worthwhile to do a little browsing at bladehq, knivesshipfree, and others. They have great search features, and details.

For a smaller Spyderco, I absolutely love the Chaparral. I don't have a Sage yet, but they are similar and slightly larger. They also have multiple versions with different locks. These two models are quite robust for great looking dressy knives. The FRN Dragonfly is wonderful also for a well made and super light (like you literally cannot detect the weight in pocket) knife. But I usually grab the Chap because it's a bit sturdier. As others have said, it's still hard to go wrong with the Delica. Again, I prefer the Chap over that also. Unless I will be using it in a rough and dirty environment.

The ZT770CF is also fantastic if you don't mind assisted. Really durable little knife for being just CF slab frame, with liner lock. It's light and looks great in any dress up or office environment.

Because I'm a bit of a blade phreak, I usually carry two or three knives at any one time. So I can pick and choose for use. I keep all of them razor sharp, and strop or touch up every evening if used. But still have a heavy do anything (currently zt456), smaller do most anything (Chaparral, Delica, Dragonfly), and a classy slip joint (currently a peanut sized GEC Beagle, also love last years forum knife, and a Northwoods Michigan Jack).

Thank you. Later today I'm going to look-up the Chap, Delica, and kizer. Maybe I'll look around at the new sage too. I'm also interested in the little ZT knives because they have flippers and bearings. [emoji3] Sounds like pure flipping fun!

Ummmmmm I use it to cut stuff! Excellent back lock with a great blade shape!
Mine is a Franken Spydie. S35vn blade in the 110v scales.
Here it is with a Millie.
Joe
85651dbaf170af17db7f715224a09bf9.jpg

Ummmmmm I use it to cut stuff! Excellent back lock with a great blade shape!
Mine is a Franken Spydie. S35vn blade in the 110v scales.
Here it is with a Millie.
Joe
85651dbaf170af17db7f715224a09bf9.jpg

That's a good size. I think if I got some g10 then it would look and feel really nice

I'm amazed it hasn't already been mentioned; I've carried a Spyderco Delica almost exclusively for the last month or so.

If you thought the PM2 was too big and are afraid of using the 940 because of the pricetag, the Delica would be my choice. Great size, plenty tough and is priced to be used.

You can even dress it up a bit with some aftermarket scales should you desire to. I have a set of Boomer's scales ordered, but quite like the stock FRN as well.

20160717_143012_zpsfhtr8ril.jpg

I would second this opinion. You cannot beat a Delica and there is even a Titanium version. You have a choice of steels, too.

After this I would recommend, in no particular order: Spyderco Caly3, Caly 3.5, Endura.

I used to be a BM fan but the knives Spyderco produces today are so good they kicked BM out of my pocket (though I still have a number).

Also, Cold Steel makes a couple of knives worth looking at. Many are over built and clunky like ZT knives are. But, the Mini Recon 1 and the Code 4 are actually pretty nice.

Small and light:
Mini-Grip
Delica
Native 5 FRN
GEC Traditional folder?

Small and a little beefy:
Spyderco Techno (used)
ZT 900 (used)
HK Mini-Grip (forget the 5 digit #)
Lion Steel SR2

I would look at the Spyderco Native 5 G10. Very tough, small enough to not be scary but large enough to handle most tasks.

I would look at the Spyderco Native 5 G10. Very tough, small enough to not be scary but large enough to handle most tasks.

I've been looking at it. Pretty knife! I think this is one of the ones at the top of my list

Small and light:
Mini-Grip
Delica
Native 5 FRN
GEC Traditional folder?

Small and a little beefy:
Spyderco Techno (used)
ZT 900 (used)
HK Mini-Grip (forget the 5 digit #)
Lion Steel SR2

It seems like the Delica and Native keep showing up! I'll compare them with the dragonfly. I love that zt0450 but it's so expensive. Any used ones out there! haha

It seems like the Delica and Native keep showing up! I'll compare them with the dragonfly. I love that zt0450 but it's so expensive. Any used ones out there! haha

I think the Delica grip is a little bigger, but the Native 5 has the forward choil.
I also think the Native 5 FRN is coming is some of the higher end super steels.

8635654275_82e425e3f0.jpg

I think the Delica grip is a little bigger, but the Native 5 has the forward choil.
I also think the Native 5 FRN is coming is some of the higher end super steels.

8635654275_82e425e3f0.jpg

This image really helps- thanks. I like the look of the Delica better because it's more lean/compact. I'd totally go for that one if I had to make a decision on a split second. It seems like if I go spyderco I'll pick either the
Dragonfly
Delica

A lot of people told me about the 0450 which I absolutely love, but it's a little too expensive (unless someone has a used one). Not sure if there are any other ZT knives like this one for cheaper.

I also an debating some of the ones from kizer. Haven't had much luck finding that blade that stands out from them yet. Definitely some nice ones though for a pretty penny.

If you guys have any suggestions between ZT and Kizer - I'm all ears!

If you are considering the Dragonfly, you really should give the Chaparral a long look.

If you are considering the Dragonfly, you really should give the Chaparral a long look.

They seem like pretty different knives, no? The chaparral seems a bit larger, and longer. Is is a lot better than the dragonfly?

They seem like pretty different knives, no? The chaparral seems a bit larger, and longer. Is is a lot better than the dragonfly?

I wouldn't say it's "better." The quality is about the same I think, though some would argue the Taichung knives are of higher quality.

The Chaparral is indeed bigger and probably a bit more versatile due to the increase in size, but is still a small to midsized knife. They're both great, it's a matter of taste really.

I would also suggest the Delica, its a great knife and a perfect size. The native is good too, but I'd take a Delica over a Native if i had to choose.

Back