1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Knife experts! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sharpening, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    Could you email me a picture and how much you would charge? I'm curious to see it!

[email protected]

2. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    It looks like more of a tactical knife, right? The rough G10, and beefy blade (by picture) appear to be more or a discrete tactical knife. Might be a little bit of an overkill for cutting carboard, packages, and apples!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    Shoot- Tough decisions. 62 for the Boker Urban Trapper (G10) and 65 for the spyderco Delica.

I'm putting the Chap, ZT450, and Kizer knives aside for now because my gentleman folder is my 940. I am swayed too much by looks

The goal is a beater knife, so it can't be too pretty.

4. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Beater or not, may as well look pretty too. No need to kick out my hot wife just because I make her take out the trash. [emoji12]

I haven't picked up an Urban Trapper just yet, though want to. I have a ton of Boker's and pretty satisfied with the quality for the price. But I probably wouldn't use the Urban Trapper as a beater. Because of it's slender profile, it's probably closer to the zt450 in design.

The Delica however, I wouldn't mind beating to death, and it would probably not look any different. My next Delica will be the Waved version. I love having multiple open options.

•••••••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

5. NDJeep

NDJeep

Jul 14, 2009
    Just get the Delica... its a legend for a reason.

6. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I agree.

7. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    Thank you everyone. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Delica this evening. It sounds pretty tough, and i shouldn't be worried about being rough with it. Maybe it will give me some confidence in these knives, so I'm not afraid to use my 940.

8. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    As mentioned by others, the Spyderco Sage series may interest you. I love my Sage 2 and carry frequently. Will be getting a Sage 5. I'd recommend handling or checking out a few videos of whatever you're considering. Enjoy the journey and definitely let us know what you decide (with pics.).

9. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    Delica is a solid choice. Congrats.

10. benzy2

benzy2

Jul 18, 2013
    The Delica is a knife that you can treat hard and not feel bad about. I like the back lock over a liner lock just to keep fingers out of the blade path. It's not my ideal looking knife but it's more than capable of my everyday uses. To me it feels like the starting point. The knife you want to get first. The one that's all you will ever need but maybe not all you'll ever want. Once you have that functional knife, or beater knife, or whatever term you want to use, the rest can be intended for more specific uses/situations. Another that isn't mentioned here that I love for the size and slicing ability is the Rat 2. I can't say enough for that blade shape, grip feel, and overall package for the money. Not as much of a Prybar as some knives but an outstanding entry point that would do everything you need on a typical day. I thought it was ugly until I held one. After that first time picking it up the looks became attractive in its functionality.

11. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    I almost bought a rat a while ago, but I went for the utilitac. It was a good move because now I use it to split dry firewood. Yes- you read that correctly. I have a hammer, put the blade where I want to split the wood, and start hitting. The blade has seen better days, but it is still going. I've had some times where the lock has failed, but it's doing great. I need to find it so I can post a picture.

Bought a Delica 4 last night. I got the blue handle. Amazon warehouse sold it for 56 because it had a damaged box, and the knife was like new. I am pretty excited with my deal

12. irona

irona

May 24, 2016
    I was just about to say - minigrip all the way!

13. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    What are you thoughts on the Delica after the first few days?

14. TickTock

TickTock

Jul 21, 2016
    Yeah now you have to do a review :)

15. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    Still waiting. It arrives on Tuesday! Can't wait! Got the blue handle

Life is like a box of knives, you never know which ones going to be off-center.

16. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    I get it on Tuesday, and then I'll review it with plenty of pictures!

17. timnelson

timnelson

Jul 10, 2016
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  18. ryanh121

ryanh121

Nov 3, 2009
    You made a great choice with the Delica. I have multitudes of Spydies, Benchamdes, ZTs, Chris Reeve knives, Microtech, midtechs, yadda, yadda, infinity... The Delica still finds its way into my pocket most days. Solid choice.

19. Sharpening

Sharpening

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]https://vimeo.com/179825471[​IMG][​IMG]
    Out of the box it's great! Definitely a funky tip but it seems to work. Back lock is stiff so it is certainly not a flicker