Knife Knut Classification..

Originally posted by alan aragon
tom - my duncan needs some edgepro reprofiling, ben dale hasn't called me back, i may demand your help soon :D

*goes to seek a cure for chronic tuff cloth rash.. finds it: just rub the rashes with militec!*

I always have to laugh when I see people buying expensive customs and then not knowing how to sharpen them. I'd rather have a production knife and know how to keep it scary sharp than have a $500-1000 dull custom that I don't know how to resharpen.

Originally posted by bruce
Alan, which group are you? ...or are you in a category all your own?

Bruce

He's in the "I have lots of money so I'll buy really high end knives and hope everyone accepts me and thinks I know something, even though I have no clue about how to sharpen my knives, and I'll go around and diss people because they have $40-$350 knives and I have $450+ knives, so my liner locks must be better than their Axis locks, even though I have no clue what I'm talking about, and then I'll make fun of everyone by stereotyping them and hope everyone laughs and loves me!" group.

Just get Alan to handle a Sebenza with his bare hands and he'll be too busy stalking Mr. Reeve's legs to upset you anymore.

Originally posted by WadeF
He's in the "I have lots of money so I'll buy really high end knives and hope everyone accepts me and thinks I know something, even though I have no clue about how to sharpen my knives, and I'll go around and diss people because they have $40-$350 knives and I have $450+ knives, so my liner locks must be better than their Axis locks, even though I have no clue what I'm talking about, and then I'll make fun of everyone by stereotyping them and hope everyone laughs and loves me!" group.

Get bitter much?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by stjames
Get bitter much?:rolleyes:

Maybe you would to if this guy was taking digs at you left and right for no reason. He comes onto these forums out of no where and because I was pro-axis lock he targeted me and has taken every opportunity to take digs at me. I don't mind debating facts, but this guy takes it to far. I'll debate why I think the Axis lock is better than a liner lock, and he'll come back and tell me I need a GF, or I some other BS. Now I ****ed my Axis lock hole. I have a sense of humor, and I think it's all funny, but I think I have a right to fire back at the guy if he's going to down right insult me all the time rather than debate me.

benchmade droids - these guys would copulate with the tiny spaces surrounding the axislock bar if they could, and probably do. many of these guys are really good at reprofiling edges, and finishing them down stoopid-sharpness, mainly because they have some money left over to buy edgepros after their economically priced factory purchases. some even have carpal tunnel wrists from constant lightning-quick flicking mastery.

So how many members here are Bencmade owners, have talked about their Edgepro, and have posted videos showing them opening their axis lock lightning-quick? I don't see that as a generalization of Benchmade owners, I see that as a direct shot at me.

Maybe you would to if this guy was taking digs at you left and right for no reason...
So how many members here are Bencmade owners, have talked about their Edgepro, and have posted videos showing them opening their axis lock lightning-quick? I don't see that as a generalization of Benchmade owners, I see that as a direct shot at me.

And by lowering yourself to his level you simply diminish your reputation in the eyes of people that respected you for your passion and input to these forums.

...I see that as a direct shot at me.

Well, I sure didn't read it that way. I think it's too bad that a personal feud has interupted a very funny thread. Lighten up a little. His comments are personal only if you choose to read them that way.

Notice that I took a shot at sebbie lovers here in this thread and some of my best friends are sebenzanistas. I assumed they would understand my comments were made in jest and certainly were not meant to insult anyone in particular or sebenzanistas in general.

Para

wade, pull your peter out of that axis hole, it's putting you in a bad mood. listen, i sense that you're an okay guy, and i already apologized once for offending you about my axis lock comments, and i won't do it a second time, because in all honesty, the blurb i wrote was not at all a direct shot at you, so step off of my nuts dammit.

with that said, hurry up & get some of chris reeve's leg while there's still some space that isn't rubbed raw!

:D

just havin some fun man.

Originally posted by Paracelsus
Well, I sure didn't read it that way. I think it's too bad that a personal feud has interupted a very funny thread. Lighten up a little. His comments are personal only if you choose to read them that way.

Notice that I took a shot at sebbie lovers here in this thread and some of my best friends are sebenzanistas. I assumed they would understand my comments were made in jest and certainly were not meant to insult anyone in particular or sebenzanistas in general.

Para

You guys are right, I should just bite my tongue. I guess I was in a bit of a blah mood earlier and was letting off some steam. I just feel he was classifing myself rather than all Benchmade owners. I think it's funny to take shots at a group, but I felt he wasn't taking a shot at a group. Unless you think all Benchmade owners own Edgepros and post videos showing their lighting fast deployment? I don't think that represents Benchmade owners at all. You could probably include Thom into his classification. Thom and I both have Benchmades and reprofile them, but then he threw in the lighting fast deployment which was a reference to my threads with my Axis lock videos, so when you take the whole classification as a whole it points at me alone. Then I have the same guy, who started this thread, respond to me with this in a debate:

"you're a terrible debator, dude. maybe you need a hug, or a girlfriend - or boyfriend if you swing that way, which is okay; i won't judge your character based on that.

obviously you appreciate some of the art involved with your knives, otherwise you'd tote a high-end boxcutter & a prybar. by the way, i hear you can rent girlfriends pretty easily in the cyber age.. especially knowing that you'd go for one that's all function & no art.. HA."

I didn't find that to be appropriate. The guy just likes busting my nuts and I guess I let it get to me. I will stop bitching about it now. :) I was just hoping someone saw my side of it.

just havin some fun man.

It's okay. I just wanted to explain where I was coming from. I think you could have come up with a better description for us Axis lock fanatics as most don't own an EdgePro. :) Also it seems most weren't familiar with my lighting fast deployment methods. I thought your Sebenza comments were better and covered more Sebenza fanatics. :) I do have a Sebenza, but so far it hasn't gotten me all that excited.

I'm disgusted, angry, disappointed, and a little gassy. It's not easy being a closet sebenzanista.

Professor.

Originally posted by bruce
Alan, which group are you? ...or are you in a category all your own?

Bruce
well bruce, i'll tell ya..

i belong to the "open-my-mouth-too-wide-too-often-and-end-up-pissing-people-off-even-though-i-don't-intend-to" group.

other than that, i'm chillin in the knewbie category, and may graduate into sophmore knewb status as soon as i do my first re-profiling job. the edgepro seems to be the ticket for reprofiling, according to what i've read on here.

however, i have reshaped handles and refinished blades of custom knives. i guess that also puts me in the "daring-with-cosmetic-modifications-to-knives-i-can-barely-afford" group.

maybe we can all pitch in and get chris reeve an artificial leg for his next birthday, heh...

Now thats the first sensible thing you've said in the whole thread alan!!;) :D

i guess there's a first time for everything?!

All bickering aside, you'll love the EdgePro. I went with the Professional model, but it sounds like the Apex works just as well. Just watch Ben's video and you'll be on the way to making scary sharp knives. He briefly goes over how to keep your stones straight. I picked up a piece of plate glass and that silicon grit from Leevalleytools. I'd recommend getting this right away and make it a regular practice to keep your hones flat. Especially if you do a lot of re-profiling with the coarse and extra coarse stones.

Sorry for getting nasty earlier. I sometimes take things to personally and over-react. I apologize to anyone I offended and I will try harder to not do this in the future.

All bickering aside, you'll love the EdgePro. I went with the Professional model, but it sounds like the Apex works just as well. Just watch Ben's video and you'll be on the way to making scary sharp knives. He briefly goes over how to keep your stones straight. I picked up a piece of plate glass and that silicon grit from Leevalleytools. I'd recommend getting this right away and make it a regular practice to keep your hones flat. Especially if you do a lot of re-profiling with the coarse and extra coarse stones.

Sorry for getting nasty earlier. I sometimes take things to personally and over-react. I apologize to anyone I offended and I will try harder to not do this in the future.
wade - about you getting pissed, i'm sure i could have been less provacative with you in past threads. it always takes two to cause a conflict. if you really wanna see someone flying off the handle at me, look no further than this link. compared to bob, you actually kept your cool pretty well.

about edgepro - it appears even that piece of equipment can be customized to work better, as you mentioned getting plate glass & silicon grit? i guess i'll have to get the unit so i can learn exactly what you mean & how to apply it. i'm sure i'll have to do some digging & i'll still have some questions to ask folks like yourself once i get an edgepro. thanks for the tip.

about edgepro - it appears even that piece of equipment can be customized to work better, as you mentioned getting plate glass & silicon grit? i guess i'll have to get the unit so i can learn exactly what you mean & how to apply it. i'm sure i'll have to do some digging & i'll still have some questions to ask folks like yourself once i get an edgepro. thanks for the tip.

I'll check out Bob, maybe he'll make me feel not so bad about my earlier actions. :)

As far as the grit and plate glass it is just for maintenance of the Edgepro stones. Basically when you use the stones most people tend to wear the middle of the stone down faster than the ends. This results in the stone being "dished" or concave. So when you sharpen with a stone like this it will round off your edge and make it impossible to get your edge sharp. So you use the plate glass with grit to wear the ends of the stone down until the whole surface of the stone is flat again.

I recently learned about this and I now know how important it is to do this to acheive proper results.

WadeF,

You might be the only video-shooting Benchknut, but Benchmade owners who also own a Professional or Apex EdgePro are legion. Those who admit it include:

You
T. Erdelyi
Nosmo
KCSteve
Gator97
Me

If we were fingers, we'd make one sharp son-of-a-polydactyl-fist.

Alan,

Once you get yourself an 806D2, and you WILL get an 806D2, and an EdgePro, you'll understand what all of the hubbub is about. Don't worry, when you look back on the past few months and see the folly of your ways, though you may never have reason to do so, you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

edited to appease a mad Hungarian

Back