Knife or Death

RE: Busse and Carothers.

I would think that a large Swamp Rat in SR-101 (52100) would do pretty well if it was properly sharpened.

I watched it last night and IMHO, most of the knives are not appropriate for that kind of competition. A butcher knife? Really?

I assume that the competitors watched the first show. If they did, I have to wonder what they were thinking...if they were thinking at all.
All the shows were taped back to back and we had to sign nondisclosures. I ran the course first, but didn't get to watch the rest of the group. I would almost bet they encouraged the butcher to bring that knife. They wanted variety. They also encouraged costume type dress.

I had a infi bb13 and a medium chopper and I'll take the caraothers every day. First most busses are dull lol. I have yet to receive one that was actually sharp. Probably 30 blades from them. But more than that is the ergos and D3V steel.

ReK probably did an amazing job on that bb13 and it's a good looking blade. How busse should have made it to begin with imo. My scrapyard b13 felt much better than my infi b13. And my basic 11 also felt much better.

But honestly Carothers knives are a step up over most I have handled. His attention to detail shows immediately when you hold one.
Yup, i have owned them both, Comes down to personal Preference IMO! Some will prefer Busse, I much prefer the CPK Models! Not saying the CPK's are tougher or better;) But the overall performance and attention to Detail coupled with the Price to performance ratio equals win, win for me and MY needs!
EDIT: Welcome SpyderPhreak! Remember your from the Busse Forum! Believe I even bought a Battle Saw from you Back in the day, Let us know what you think of your HDFK when recieved!

Last edited:
Agreed Nathan! I can’t help but think that of all the Busse out there, zmbhntr zmbhntr ’s REK-optimized Busse BB13 would be just about perfect! His pics:

That’s a 13” INFI beast! :cool:

Curious how that would stack up compared to your BC.

Edit - just to be perfect clear, absolutely no disrespect for Jo or the BC intended here. I’m just more familiar with Busse at this point.

I think that BB13 would be a pretty good choice for the show. In all honesty I very much disliked the knife in stock form, but with the significant modifications it’s a great chopper. I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares the BC since I’m fortunate enough to have one on order.

I agree with many of the people here that many Busse’s do not come overly sharp, but they do come extremely bulletproof with thick everything. Most Busse’s can be made to perform quite well with a fairly easy to do edge reprofiling. For larger Busse’s I tend to find 19 degrees to be the sweet point with knocking down the blade profile behind the edge, and in less than a couple hours of work with my wicked edge I have a very nice performing knife. I also agree that Busse handles are all over the place, and some are not comfortable to me at all. That being said, I do like their fusion handles with non-magnum scales and their Res-C handles as long as the knife is properly balanced for them.

If I had to bring one knife on the show I would have to give it some serious thought, but I’m leaning towards my Keffeler Sasquatch.

Yeah. A Sasquatch and a big skilled cutter would crush that course.

A big skilled cutter would definitely be a plus. It looked like the guys who finished the course in the last show knew what they were doing.

Hey, it's a "reality show". As Jo pointed out, the producers want to keep it interesting, especially for the uninformed. ;)

Maybe Jo should have worn a kilt. :D

A big skilled cutter would definitely be a plus. It looked like the guys who finished the course in the last show knew what they were doing.

Hey, it's a "reality show". As Jo pointed out, the producers want to keep it interesting, especially for the uninformed. ;)

I don't think she owns any skirts...

I should have found a mini skirt. :D

I dont frequent your alls sub forum much, but I have been making knives for the last 5 years and have followed your alls knives since I started and the reason I started using cpm3v. I really like your alls design and performace in your knives. Also all the info Nathan shares on the forum. I was routing for you Jo! I applied for the show and did the skype interview and signed all the papers but never got the call. I had built a 17" oal custom chopper out of cpm3v heat treated by Brad at peters for the show. I keep wondering how it would have performed on the course. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes info.
JP

I gotta start hitting the weights and doing some cardio again if I'm going to hang with some of the bigger guys out there!

Back