Knifetalk! Let's Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got my WRX back - I can say without a doubt that AWD launches hard!

Also, your friend is, to put it politely, not the brightest light in the night sky. What do you race?

Well, you put it a lot nicer than I did when I spoke to him, lol!

This is what I race semi-pro...

Knots2_BBS06-3.png

That's me on the left and my buddies dad 4th from left...

Knots2_BBS06-4.png

Local series racing...

CameraEffects_zps7382ff56.jpg

Sweet ride btw, gotta love the awd! Rally time!

-X

For the best and original street racing video find a version on the net of "cétait un rendez-vous" in the highest quality you can, it is the great grandad of all street racing videos and still one of the very best out there! Filmed in the 70's!! Real cars, real film, real driver on open city streets through Paris!

-Xander

J boats are fun. I got to work on one in my mid-teens. Also had fun on international canoes... Now a days, I tend to like my boats more wooden, and leisurely. :D

Ooo, international canoes?! Now that's a fun little boat! I own an Internation 14 named RIOT! (hence th screen name...) and two International Contenders. The J/109 is a great boat, standing headroom but a very powerful sailplan with too nrrow of a rudder! It likes to spin out when pushed too hard, gotta drive deep and hard when pressure rolls on if you're anywhere near 100-120* off the wind. My skipper was an lternate for a past AC team, he's an amazing driver, but can't tell you how he does it! I've been racing for him for almost 10 years now (geeze, just realized that!) and we make a good team. I know how he drives, he knows how I call tactics and we do quite well together.

-X

Just wanted to stop in and thank all of you for the smoke and prayers. I apologize but I will not be around a whole lot for the next few months but will be thinking all of you!!! Once again thank you for everything as we go through the toughest fight of our lives!

Those international 14's look like they are a blast. I have to make a correction, what we called an international canoe was something different that what I'm finding now called that. They were the 33 foot open boats, that it looks like they are calling International One Design (IOD). There is a racing fleet out of Northeast Harbor Maine, that those of us in the sailing school who were old enough, could help out on. Same with the J80s.

http://nehfleet.org/event_iodworlds.html

Lots of fun (23 year old memories probably help) ... Makes me want to get a boat and get out on Lake Michigan.

Last edited:
Big , best wishes for you and Tina! Fight hard ,never give up!

Oh, yes, IOD, lol very different from a 10meter International Canoe! We have IOD's out here in the bay, usually sailed out of San Francisco Yacht Club (not in San Francisco, btw) and Corinthian Yacht Club for interclub events. They are very classic boats, much like the yellow boat I posted a pic of above. Its a Columbia 5.5 meter. We also race Sheilds and Knarr's out here. Folkboats too. The Knarr sounds like its right up your alley, lapstrake built, narrow beam, classic lines and good heavy weather ability. Not to mention one of the coolest names for a boat design!

One type of sailing you midwesterners get to do that i never have and cannot do out here is ice boats! You want to talk about crazy speeds, the little ones will reach 60+ mph!!! Some years back, I visited my gf's little brother at Great Lakes NTC during february and we were staying in Pewaukee Wisconsin with some friends, well turns out the DN iceboat world championships were being held there the same week I was thre! I got to watch these rockets fly around the lake at freeway speeds and also the worlds best at it to boot! That's when I really wished I lived closer to dry lakes or dessert so I could build one with wheels. That is going fast. I will try it someday, its on my bucket list. Coincidentially, the best runners are usually made from Boehler D2!

The 14 is an exceptional boat with a devout following hardly equaled by any other group in any other sport. It is the oldest class still sailing with International status, a development class and just an awesome boat! One of the few that actually has more square feet of sail area than pounds of sailing weight, including the crew!. A true positive power to weight ratio! 350sq/ft in the spinnaker alone is an average, but there is no restriction on spinnaker size. Double trapeze takes some getting used to, but isn't too difficult to figure out, I've been slingshot from the wire several times, but, that's the learning curve!

-X

I race a station wagon :D

Gooeynjmp-1.jpg

Magnum_64.jpg

best ET (I lost, broke out of my dial-in more than the next guy but still ran 11.69)
11sectimeslip-1.png

Wow - serious respect for the 11.69!

Now we need details! Running juice?

I LOVE a fast wagon. We had a mean old Impala wagon when I was a kid. My Dad had it stripped out to a little more than essentials and a simple (but nice) silver paint, 383 stroker we built (well, he built and we watched at that age). It was a great sleeper. Not nearly as evil looking as yours but still good times!

The WRX will get some goodies over time, but for corners, not brackets. Right now it still has a power train warranty I'd rather not void, lol

Mornin guys! Up at 5am to hit up the hardware stores! Got some more lumber and plywood, screws and a new saw blade. Gonna be a good day. Daniel where be our pics? Lol!

She runs a custom 392 stroker, 470 rwhp & torque, all motor. Setup is mostly for the road course with coilovers, upgraded sways, Stoptech brakes, etc. but she'll post good numbers at the strip.

I ran heads up against a Gallardo last year, and the awd launched that thing like I was asleep. Walked by him once I grabbed traction though :)

Wow - serious respect for the 11.69!

Now we need details! Running juice?

I LOVE a fast wagon. We had a mean old Impala wagon when I was a kid. My Dad had it stripped out to a little more than essentials and a simple (but nice) silver paint, 383 stroker we built (well, he built and we watched at that age). It was a great sleeper. Not nearly as evil looking as yours but still good times!

The WRX will get some goodies over time, but for corners, not brackets. Right now it still has a power train warranty I'd rather not void, lol

Good morning guys! My son just woke me up and wanna play some starwars game with me...lets do it!:D

Y'all have a good one. Oh....waiting to see some pix, Daniel!^^

Mornin guys! Up at 5am to hit up the hardware stores! Got some more lumber and plywood, screws and a new saw blade. Gonna be a good day. Daniel where be our pics? Lol!
5am!The hardware stores are open at 5am!? You Folks in the PA are serious about your hardware!:D
Good morning y'all.

Hour of work in the shop so far, but not much to show. A lot more empty, I tore the remaining old green-painted plywood down. Framed up the wall, it's ready for new plywood and shelves. More importantly, the old bench set and weights are outta here, my power tools are neatly lined up and ready to be put in their new homes. The wires for the power addition are run/drilled/boxes in place. Looking to get them hooked up and live Monday night.

Most pressing question; what do I do with this?!

That's... lots of steel dust and water. It CANT be good for my drain. >_>

Had a fun day at the flea market with the family today, picked up a couple new toys to play with...

2013-10-19123911_zps69285064.jpg

First, the obvious, a Konica C35 rangefinder. I nice compact and tidy little fixed lens 35mm shooter. This one should clean up nicely.

Next is a Farrania Rondine 127 box camera! Made in Italy between 1948 and 1957. It should be covered in leatherette. I has a 7,5/8.8 lens with fixed shutter speed of 1/75s. There is a prism finder centered above the minuscus lens or a flip up sports/frame finder. To load it, the film winder side comes off and the carriage that holds the film slides out! An interesting solution!

I will deffinetly have fun cleaning these up and trying them out!

-Xander

Hour of work in the shop so far, but not much to show. A lot more empty, I tore the remaining old green-painted plywood down. Framed up the wall, it's ready for new plywood and shelves. More importantly, the old bench set and weights are outta here, my power tools are neatly lined up and ready to be put in their new homes. The wires for the power addition are run/drilled/boxes in place. Looking to get them hooked up and live Monday night.

Most pressing question; what do I do with this?!

That's... lots of steel dust and water. It CANT be good for my drain. >_>
I have often wondered what the heck to do with that stuff too. I started a thread in shoptalk a while back asking if anyone recycles their metal dust/savings and I don't think anyone said that the did. I got a lot of "I just dump it in the yard" answers.I'm not sure I want to do that but have not came up with a answer myself yet either. Cool stuff on your shop progress:thumbup: I'll be thinking / being jealous of you while I'm sitting on the floor drilling holes. lol.

Had a fun day at the flea market with the family today, picked up a couple new toys to play with...

2013-10-19123911_zps69285064.jpg

First, the obvious, a Konica C35 rangefinder. I nice compact and tidy little fixed lens 35mm shooter. This one should clean up nicely.

Next is a Farrania Rondine 127 box camera! Made in Italy between 1948 and 1957. It should be covered in leatherette. I has a 7,5/8.8 lens with fixed shutter speed of 1/75s. There is a prism finder centered above the minuscus lens or a flip up sports/frame finder. To load it, the film winder side comes off and the carriage that holds the film slides out! An interesting solution!

I will deffinetly have fun cleaning these up and trying them out!

-Xander
Nice finds Xander! I bet that box camera takes some cool looking shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back