Knives aside, what are your other hobbies??

Pistol shooting, martial arts, backpacking, listening to music, video games... I have a ton of interests. I have only recently begun taking as large an interest in blades as I am now. I've actually dragged a couple of friends down with me who have both ordered Izulas since I got mine.

Lots of talented craftsmen here! Myself, I race sailboats semi-professionally, read, cook, spend time playing with my two year old son, and enjoy music almost 24 hours a day.

Me, on the job...I'm the bowman (all the way to the left)

Knots2_BBS06-4.png

Knots2_BBS06-3.png

Knots2_BBS06-2.png

2011-08-05122142.jpg

I also am pretending to be a knife maker, I really enjoy making miniature knives right now.

-Xander

I build motorcycles
my most recent project:
98% fabricated by myself, metal work, machining, engine work, body work, i did all the carbon fiber and mold-making, as well as the painting. Mostly in my garage.
and now it is getting dusty from grinding blades.
CBR035.jpg

CBR036.jpg

CBR029.jpg

CBR036.jpg

Thanks for sharing guys!!! Great pictures too!
And this is a most amazing bike! Beautiful!!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Playing tennis and drums, hiking the hill country, some road cycling, day trading, weight training, kid's sports....

Always something...

interesting thread!

these are my hobbies: boatbuilding and paddling

gerhard

ps.: this first ´strange´ boat is am aleutan baidarka built the original way without any metall in it.
everything stitched with artificial sinew or canvas-rope.

baidarka 1.jpg

baidarka2.jpg

baidarka 3.jpg

kanu1.jpg

kanu2.jpg

kanu3.jpg

kajak1.jpg

Beautiful, Beautiful Watercrafts !!
Next to making knives, there are few things I enjoy more than quite water in one of my canoe's.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
ice climbing and long distance backpacking in MT's wilderness's with my two malamutes. Welding. Spending time with my lovely woman, and getting into forging high end damascus. Soaking in hot springs is also a favorite.

Playing tennis and drums, hiking the hill country, some road cycling, day trading, weight training, kid's sports....
Always something...

ice climbing and long distance backpacking in MT's wilderness's with my two malamutes. Welding. Spending time with my lovely woman, and getting into forging high end damascus. Soaking in hot springs is also a favorite.

Hello guys, you mention some really exciting activities,
BUT how about posting some pictures of you IN ACTION?

Nice "rock" Bob!!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

In the last couple of years I have researched and largely embraced a "paleo" lifestyle. It mostly concerns diet and exercise for me.

Back in June I started a barbell strength training program. I'm still a very mediocre novice but I am stronger at 40 that I have ever been before. I can press 50kg (1 rep), squat 100kg (1 rep), and deadlift 110kg (1 set of 5) at a BW of 80kg (about 18% fat). Not sure what my 1 rep max is for DL right now.

Joss, I think that at least one picture is expected after
the detailed descriptions of your power lifting results...

How about it?

All the best, :)
David Darom (ddd)

make sure you oil yourself up really good before takin those pics Joss :D

In the last couple of years I have researched and largely embraced a "paleo" lifestyle. It mostly concerns diet and exercise for me.

Back in June I started a barbell strength training program. I'm still a very mediocre novice but I am stronger at 40 that I have ever been before. I can press 50kg (1 rep), squat 100kg (1 rep), and deadlift 110kg (1 set of 5) at a BW of 80kg (about 18% fat). Not sure what my 1 rep max is for DL right now.

Good for you Joss :thumbup:

make sure you oil yourself up really good before takin those pics Joss :D

You are too Funny. :D

interesting thread!

these are my hobbies: boatbuilding and paddling

gerhard

ps.: this first ´strange´ boat is am aleutan baidarka built the original way without any metall in it.
everything stitched with artificial sinew or canvas-rope.

kanu1.jpg

Gerhard, you have serious skills :thumbup:

I've always had an interest and a need for stopwatches in my coaching and training. We time pieces on machines or on the water all the time. Always digital...

That said, I have taken an interest in older mechanical stopwatches. I own about 17 at present. Tick, tick, tick, tick....

They come in many varieties: 100/60/30/10/3 second dials. Some measure single seconds, others 1/5th, 1/10th, and even 1/100ths. Some have a split timer hand. It's all good.

Heuer, Breitling, Smiths, Leonidis, Jacquet, Wakmann, Minerva, Elgin, etc. I also own a Russian Slava, which is BIG and well made.

According to my wife, a little safer than my 540+ hp Infiniti..... ;)

Coop

I've always had an interest and a need for stopwatches in my coaching and training. We time pieces on machines or on the water all the time. Always digital...

That said, I have taken an interest in older mechanical stopwatches. I own about 17 at present. Tick, tick, tick, tick....

They come in many varieties: 100/60/30/10/3 second dials. Some measure single seconds, others 1/5th, 1/10th, and even 1/100ths. Some have a split timer hand. It's all good.

Heuer, Breitling, Smiths, Leonidis, Jacquet, Wakmann, Minerva, Elgin, etc. I also own a Russian Slava, which is BIG and well made.

According to my wife, a little safer than my 540+ hp Infiniti..... ;)

Coop

Jim, I think that it is great to have many unrelated interests
and be able to peruse all of them seriously.

It continuously fills one's life with excitement and happiness, there
is no doubt about that...

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

I have TOO many interests and collections of things I like! Playing pool was my passion for many years, from the time I fell in love with playing on Brunswick Gold Crown tables with Brunswick Centennial balls(for those that play, this is the BEST combination of equipment with Simonis 860 cloth) at the pool room in the local bowling alley.

For about 45 years now, I have cherished my 1965 Palmer Model 11 cue, which was the top of the line cue from the First Catalog of Palmer cues. It was originally purchased by one of my friends and mentors, Frank DeMartino (AKA "hots" or "hotdog") for his trip to play in the US 9-Ball Open at the Stardust Hotel in Vegas. He was not a "flashy" guy, and decided to sell the cue to purchase a less embellished one for daily play. It has 44 MOP inlays and the butt is a beautiful piece of ebony.

P10001721.jpg

The case is an Original Palmer also, and when the foam disintegrated some years ago, I refinished the interior using the original purple velvet cloth.

Peter

That is a nice story, Peter, of a great passion!
Do you still find time to play? Do you have a table at home?

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

That is a nice story, Peter, of a great passion!
Do you still find time to play? Do you have a table at home?

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

I do not have a table at home David. If I had the appropriate room for one, I would, but that's another story. Oddly however, throughout my life, friends that did get tables seemed to lose interest in playing??

Currently, I have probably played less than in any period of time in the past, but about a decade ago, pool was in a resurgence. I was playing regularly, and in some local tournaments. I also traveled to Valley Forge, PA a couple of times to attend the annual "Cuemakers Convention" which included a WPBA Professional Tour stop. It was a lot of fun.

Regards,
Peter

Aside from backpacking, rock climbing, archery, and the full range of shooting sports..............I love cave diving.
IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

cave3.jpg

Back