Knives aside, what are your other hobbies??

651.jpg
[/IMG]
650.jpg
[/IMG]

The best hunting seat for me and my Browning .308

SEMPER-FI TIL I DIE

WOW!! That is FAST! What class does it run in?

Peter
Originally it was set up for Top Comp Eliminator, but I slowed it down for bracket racing. It ran 7.80's with a small block chevy. I had the Mopar motor laying around from another project. The car weighs 1705lbs. with me sitting in it.

Last edited:
Archery, photography and model making (very rarely these days as I'd rather make a knife)

Bringing this Thread up front so that some of
you new members can tell us something about
your "other likes"....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

I like weightlifting, bodybuilding, strongman stuff - bending/ripping stuff with my hands etc.

Practiced Aikido for many years too.

Been into boomerangs for a little bit lately too.

I am newly registered, so figured this would be an easy one to "break the seal" on.

skiing and fishing are my seasonal passions. i also like to hike (sometimes in combination with fishing and skiing) and am a fan of most sports.

there. i did it. ta-daaaa!

I like to look a the pretty pictures posted by Morrow every friday in the pirates cove. Does that count as a hobbie?

I enjoy long walks on the beach with my two favourite people;
fishboatbay035.jpg

fishboatbay040.jpg

fishboatbay041.jpg

fishboatbay007.jpg

fishboatbay018.jpg

fishboatbay026.jpg

fishboatbay030.jpg

fishboatbay032.jpg

I work too much to enjoy some hobbies I would like to pursue, as knife collecting already takes up most of my spare time away from work and family. Probably my only other active interest is cooking. I have taken a number of classes and I really enjoy cooking special meals for guests and even just my family.

I used to play a lot of chess and golf and do some pistol shooting. I hope to do so again some day when we are "empty nesters," but right now my chess set, my clubs, and my guns are collecting a lot of dust. :(

Besides knives, I have a collection of what I call "Early Mid 20th Century Americana Art." Things like 100 year old carnival glass, early edition high condition comic books, baseball cards from the 1950s and 1960s, mint condition gameday programs from 1930s-1950s football bowl games (e.g. Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, etc.), common art deco household objects from the 1930s (china, pottery, clocks, rotary telephones, chairs, etc.), and especially antique radios - mostly catalin radios from the 1930s and 1940s which I also repair. Most of this stuff is in mint or at least like new condition. I have an Edison Diamond Disc phonograph from the 1920s that is better than the example at the Edison museum (and honestly I do not know how many record I have). I have been slowly collecting all of this stuff over the past three decades, and a lot of it is in an environmentally-controlled storage facility right now. I imagine I would have enough stuff to open a wing at the Smithsonian devoted to Americana Art from the 1900-1960. If I ever learn how to take a decent digital picture, one day I hope to produce an on-line catalog of it all.

I used to smoke a lot of cigars, but I don't anymore. I still have a humidor with 2000-3000 cigars, including some pre-embargo Cubans, that I should probably sell if I ever find the time to do so.

I enjoy long walks on the beach with my two favourite people;

fishboatbay007.jpg

Beautiful images, Lorien, images that hold sweet memories!
I hope that you also take them one step further and actually
send selected images to be printed professionally....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Hobby's besides knives... a lot:
Rock climbing, alpine climbing, hiking, backpacking, skiing, cross-country skiing, mountain biking, bushcraft, canoeing, scouting.
Photography, building websites, graphical design, and seeing my girlfriend ;)
Some pictures
hobby006.jpg

In the white out on the glacier navigating in front and dodging the crevasses.
hobby005.jpg

Crevasse mania
hobby002.jpg

Me, climbing some icy north face
hobby001.jpg

Some rock climbing route
hobby003.jpg

Rappel of 60m. We did a total of 3 rappels and then climbed up about 160m again
hobby004.jpg

I work too much to enjoy some hobbies I would like to pursue, as knife collecting already takes up most of my spare time away from work and family. Probably my only other active interest is cooking. I have taken a number of classes and I really enjoy cooking special meals for guests and even just my family.

I used to play a lot of chess and golf and do some pistol shooting. I hope to do so again some day when we are "empty nesters," but right now my chess set, my clubs, and my guns are collecting a lot of dust. :(

Besides knives, I have a collection of what I call "Early Mid 20th Century Americana Art." Things like 100 year old carnival glass, early edition high condition comic books, baseball cards from the 1950s and 1960s, mint condition gameday programs from 1930s-1950s football bowl games (e.g. Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, etc.), common art deco household objects from the 1930s (china, pottery, clocks, rotary telephones, chairs, etc.), and especially antique radios - mostly catalin radios from the 1930s and 1940s which I also repair. Most of this stuff is in mint or at least like new condition. I have an Edison Diamond Disc phonograph from the 1920s that is better than the example at the Edison museum (and honestly I do not know how many record I have). I have been slowly collecting all of this stuff over the past three decades, and a lot of it is in an environmentally-controlled storage facility right now. I imagine I would have enough stuff to open a wing at the Smithsonian devoted to Americana Art from the 1900-1960. If I ever learn how to take a decent digital picture, one day I hope to produce an on-line catalog of it all.

I used to smoke a lot of cigars, but I don't anymore. I still have a humidor with 2000-3000 cigars, including some pre-embargo Cubans, that I should probably sell if I ever find the time to do so.

Ken, you do seem to have a very dominant "Collector's Gene"...
This fact, coupled with what looks like an excellent eye and
matured taste, you do seem to be enjoying it very much!

And, yes, I do recommend good documentation of your collections,
especially as you are saving them under optimal conditions that
preserve them indefinitely (quality and value...).

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Other than knives, my only other hobbies were shooting and reading. I'm relatively new to guns though, so I still have a few left on my wish list. At the moment my guns are all serious in nature - 2 ARs, 2 1911s, a .40 BHP, plus a CZ 452 and Ruger 22/45 for training purposes. Here's an old picture of my personal weapons, though the BCM carbine has been replaced with a Knight's Armament SR-15.

personalweapons2.jpg

My previous experience with knives has helped me tremendously with guns. I am more deliberate and patient than I otherwise would've been. Prior to making a purchase, I do extensive research on the firearm in question. I now know to save a little longer and buy the best that I can afford, instead of buying the first thing available. I've avoided a lot of frustration as a result.

Alas, I've rarely had the time to go to the range since my daughter was born. She takes up the lion share of my free time, but truth be told I wouldn't have it any other way. She'll be grown up soon enough. Besides she's a captive audience for me to talk knives with.

kayaandkerry.jpg

kayaandsak.jpg

Reading. Since my body and finances are not what they once were I've turned to books. All kinds of books. At least two a week. Just finished a book about Winston Churchill. An amazing leader with huge flaws. The 20th century would have been a lot different without his influencese.
Support your local library.

I've been enjoying this thread for long enough, I guess I should post something... My spare time is spent with/making straight razors and strops, rifle/handgun shooting, archery, hunting, working on guns, leatherwork (holsters, sheaths, rifle slings, belts, etc...), accumulating supplies and tools to theoretically start making guitars (I have enough wood for about 10 guitars right now). I used to be really into rock climbing, snowboarding, and downhill mountain biking but jacked up my knees and have never been able to get back into them. That's alright, with chiropractic school, a wife & 3 kids - I don't have enough time to do the things I would like to as is, let alone more hobbies and activities that, potentially, would be eating into my family time.

William Manchester's biography of Churchill is the best.

Churchill wrote a 7-volume "History of World War II" which is very interesting too.

-------------------------------------------------
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" - Winston Churchill

My favorite Churchill quotes are the ones he never actually said. :D Such as:

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Great Thread! and a tribute to all my fellow A.D.D. Brothers that have posted thus far.

Past and Present Hobbies:
White Water Kayaking
Backpacking
Skydiving
SCUBA Diving / Instruction
Photography & Videography
Shooting & Firearm collecting
Traditional Recurve Bow hunting
Enduro Cross and Trail Riding (KTM)

IMG_0184ebw.jpg

Thailand-SeaHorse.jpg

Thailand-GhostPipefish.jpg

Cambodia-Monks.jpg

WindowifSandC-1.jpg

Ryan - that sandstone shot is GORGEOUS! Zion National Park? When I was dating my (now) wife and we started talking about marriage she told me, very seriously, that if I didn't let her pick the honeymoon location that it was a deal breaker. I was scared she was going to say something like a week in Fiji or some other place I could never afford, but she surprised me by saying a week of hiking/camping in Zion - I about broke into tears of joy, I knew I found a good one! We had permits for the Narrows but had severe flood warnings so they didn't let us go in; always wanted to go back and hike it. Besides Zion, I also have very fond memories of hiking around Escalante, particularly Coyote Gulch which, in all honesty I don't know exactly why, is one of my favorites.

Back