Knives for running?

Hey BF,

I often run on wilderness trails with limited cell service. I've never carried a knife while running, tonight I've been reading some articles about some runners who suggest carrying and some stories/testimony about runners who have had to use their knife for various reasons while on a run. While I've never ran into animals personally, there are many animals in this area, also is some rough terrain that is easy to sprain your ankle etc. Sounds like the knife that fits the bill would be something that is lightweight could be used general tasks and emergency situations. For all you runners out there, what knives do you carry? How do you carry your knife? What is your thoughts on this idea?

Some of the lightweight options I've thought about are:
Spyderco Manix 2 LW
Benchmade SOCP
Gryphon M10
What else?

-Gideons

EDIT: To those suggesting a gun, or some sort of pepper spray... it is important to note carrying both are illegal in Canada. There is bear spray available, however that is also illegal to carry for SD and depending on the location of the trail could get you in trouble. Also, this is just not for SD against humans or animals, but also general utility or something else that could happen during a run.

Last edited:
Victorinox recruit with a suspension clip would be my choice.
I used to run some a while back and it was not notified in my pocket at all, I don't notice it riding my bike either and it currently gets carried loose in pocket.
It's so useful, of course an 84mm mini tinker would be great if you think you may end up needing an all.

Used to pack a Spyderco Delica serrated when jogging. But if in bear/cougar country a small can of bear spray would be better.

Do you run with a hip belt or anything or looking for something with a clip? A multi-tool type thing or SAK seems like the best bet, IMO, unless you're thinking self-defense. Mini-grip carries well, however I liked the spyderco dragonfly in H1 for my workouts needs. No need to worry about sweat and it carries amazing. The wire clip does well on shorts' waists also when I don't have pockets. Dragonfly probably wouldn't be the best trying to fight off an animal though.

I agree with the list so far but I'll add some less expensive ideas. Because if some of those guys got lost ouch. I don't run with nice knives.

Crkt minimalist can lace into your shoe or a belt. As well as the kabar tid shoe knife

Personally, I'd grab a spyderco in H1.

I've run with a knife exactly once. Clipped iwb at about 1 o'clock. Didn't notice it, didn't use it, but afterwards it was pretty sweaty. Hence the recommendation for some H1, or something similar, if it's going to be near your sweat for hours a week, and potentially not cared for for a while afterwards or not at all between runs.

I'd grab a salt 2 (basically a rust proof delica).

I carry an old timey Cold Steel Voyager, pre Demko, with a 4-inch VG-1 blade. That thing is light, pointy, and sharp. And I like that 4-inch blade.

Back when I use to run a 3 mile route around my neighborhood there were a lot of wandering dogs. Just because it's a small town and my neighborhood is outside the city limits lots of people thought the outdoors were a free for all for their pets. A couple of times I would have to stop because the dog was on my heels and I was worried of getting bitten. Once I even had 3 dogs together start exhibiting pack behavior coming up on me.

So I started carrying a Spyderco Swick as a neck knife. Decided to go smaller and got a HAK. Then ended up getting a Emerson LaGriffe. Finally I decided to time myself at the end of a run when I was tired to see which one I could get out faster. The HAK was the slowest and the Swick & LaGriffe were about the same. Ended up carrying the LaGriffe as it was a little smaller.

A Spyderco Salt folder was a thought as I wouldn't have to worry about rust, but fixed blades were faster to get in-hand. I figured if I need a knife while I'm running, I'm going to need it quickly. I'm also most likely to be tired and sweaty so something that is simpler to get to and out seemed like a good idea.

Benchmade 417 Fact. Long and light but sturdy. Good impact tool when folded.

Distance runner for many years. Run in the evenings most of the time and typically carry only cell phone and flashlight. The notion of carrying a knife for running always seemed silly...until I was attacked by a dog. Happened near a city park in San Ramon, CA. Tore my running pants and put a gash in my thigh requiring several stitches. Over the years also had two separate mountain lion encounters (Marin County, CA). Luckily both times the cats were more startled by my presence and bolted into the forest when they saw me coming around the bend. So now days I carry. Really liking my new Benchmade Fact which carries light and compact clipped to my shorts or Amphipod/Nathan running belt. Comfortable to hold in my hand if I'm passing through a sketchy area. I chose the DLC version under the assumption the coating might help against sweat corrosion. Regardless, I rinse it off after every run.

I run as well. I have no desire to carry a knife, thank you friction, but if you carry a pouch, a Delica or Salt would be my choice.

A Bugout is very light as well and could be a good option too.

If you are wanting something that can serve as animal defense, a knife is arguably the worst option. Pepper spray or a stun gun will work a lot better, and the stun gun has the added bonus of also being loud and startling, hitting it is likely to scare an animal off. Even a collapsible baton is better than a knife. Animals have fur, and fur is resistant to cutting. If the animal is determined to attack, a prick from a knife is less likely to deter it than a whomp from a baton, and the pepper spray or stun gun is likely to incapacitate the animal.

If you are determined to carry a knife while running, I would suggest a butcher knife, held in the reverse grip used in a constant stabbing motion. It's the most fitting running knife, especially if you have the classic violin playing on your phone.

Now for a super lightweight knife, I'd suggest something from the Spyderco Salt line, like the Pacific or Atlantic, both are super lightweight and rust proof, or the Benchmade Bugout if you are okay with potential to rust but still need absolute minimum weight.

If I’m tAsking the trail up to a lake or swimming hole, which is what I normally do, a Ti military is not so much weight it slow you down, and yet you’ll always know it’s there. The clip will stay in your pocket whether diving, swimming underwater, or just running. I wear it clipped to my running/swimming shorts for 8-12 mile hikes, and for me the weight is just right. 32oz of water is a lot heavier.

Back