Knives for running?

I would definitely go with pepper spray. It has quite a bit of distance to it and it will stop animals and people. On our farm right now the wild animals are even going after large animals like big dogs and such. I always carry a folder, and usually a fixed blade on the property when working. But when my dog is out with me, I will carry pepper spray. Mostly because if my dog tangles with an animal(like he did last week), I can spray pepper spray at the moving mangled mess of teeth, eyes, and claws, and it is much better that slashing away with a machete, where my dog might lose a limb. I can always take a garden hose and wash off the spray. Even though it is POTENT S#*t!
I would still carry a light folder for unseen uses. A cutting tool is always handy.

Last year, my daughter's school had a 5k fundraiser and they encouraged the kids to get their parents to participate. She told them, "my dad will do it, he ran track in high school" she just didn't tell them that I graduated in 1988 and she told me about a week before the 5k, "oh dad, what are you doing next Sat....I signed you up for a 5k"................anyway , I been running for the last year so that I could redeem myself this year and I carried mostly a mini griptilian. Buck has just come out with, for the first time, a Buck 110 with a pocket clip. Full size 7 plus ounces and I ran 3 miles with it clipped in my shorts yesterday and it worked. I figured I would give it a try since i will use it for hiking and canoeing.

Spyderco salt 1 or pacific salt would be my choice. Either will clip comfortably into the waistband of your shorts. I've worn both for running, snorkeling, boogie boarding, etc.

Benchmade/Snody

IMG_20180605_205606_343.jpg IMG_20180605_205606_342.jpg

550 cord shoulder rig with ID wallet under right arm.

Personally, I'd be posting this question on one of the gun/other EDC forums. Carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you think can negate any potential threats you might face. And, I'd be more concerned with those threats than whatever an LEO (law enforcement officer, for the uninitiated) might have to say about your choice of weapons- after all, it's your life not his that you'd be dealing with out there on the trail, besides which the likelihood of running into an LEO is under the circumstances is pretty slim. Just think of what you could possibly run into (besides other families with kids, dogs, etc,), such as ornery wildlife, perverts, psychopaths, or other undesirables, and "dress" accordingly. Of course, it all depends on where you're running, BUT, after living in urban environments (OK, some suburbs too) all my life, while taking advantage of every opportunity for an outdoor adventure, you never know what can happen. Just read the news.

Having said that, and toning things down some, along with whatever knife you decide would be appropriate, at least carry some bear spray.

I think a neck knife would be my answer to this scenario and I generally don't like a knife around my neck except in a kayak (to prevent loss). I would carry the Blackjack 155 which I own. Other choice would be the Kabar Becker BK-14. Folder choice would be a good old reliable Vic SAK or a Spyderco Delica.

Wouldn’t it be annoying to have it bouncing or swinging across the chest while running?

I generally take my 0450CF with me on walks/jogs...under 3oz you can barely tell its there, and 3.25in blade of s35 (or ZDP if you have one of the sprints).

Benchmade Bugout for a light folder.

Ruger LCP II for defense--it's super light, and there are plenty of holster companies making holsters that will keep your firearm snug and secure while jogging/working out/whatever (just google something like "best holsters for jogging" and I'm sure you'll find piles of options).

I used to do my running late at night. I tried several designs and found that a small fixed blade worked best for me. It was very easy maintain after a run in hot weather, rinse it off with hot water, dry, and wipe it down with a silicone rag.

I liked the Camillus arclite CUDA, with a kydex sheath and ball chain worn around the neck.

camillus-arclite-cuda-neck-knife_1_8f2b36806a3e9809e8ef6690c68385af.jpg

Wouldn’t it be annoying to have it bouncing or swinging across the chest while running?
I believe that I would tuck it under a shirt. Yes, there would be perspiration. Such is life. In general I do find a swinging knife annoying as I do most neck knives unless it makes particular sense to carry that way.

I completely forgot that I bought a buck ops boot knife to carry for running when I was in a less than ideal area. The sheath had a ton of attachments and I attached it to my arm (forearm was great for access but not too discrete with short sleeves. Then I stopped running and starting riding bikes more so I can outrun most critters or use the bike as a weapon/barrier. The knife just sits these days though I did carry it for work for a while when we had police in on a regular basis because some workers are...

If I were still running, I would probably choose my Pacific Salt SE. Good size and light weight. And/or maybe my Tasman Salt SE.

When I used to run, I tried my Emerson LaGriffe, but found that I hated the bouncing around of the neck knife, and I don't like neck knives in general, anyway. A folder I ran with was my Delica 3 (this was prior to the release of the Delica 4) closed in my hand.

One thing I'll say about pepper spray; be aware that sometimes it can foul up/jam and fail to fire. I had that happen once when approached by an aggressive dog baring its teeth at me while out on a walk. It was a standard-sized can of Sabre Red. Twice the firing button failed to depress. Luckily, the dog's owner came into view and the dog hesitantly went back to her. Afterwards, I tried firing the unit to see what was wrong. It failed to depress two more times, until finally firing. I stopped carrying that can and bought a bigger can of pepper gel. I doubt there's a difference, but I don't trust the regular spray cans anymore. Nothing sucks more than something failing on you when you really need it. It could have been much worse with a different dog/situation. That's why I don't rely on pepper spray/gel as my only line of defense.

Jim

Spyderco Delica or Endura 4 would be good. A salt series spyderco might be nice if you sweat a lot.

I personally take my Cold Steel American Lawman (new version with the thinner scales and flat ground XHP) with me when I run. It's so slim that I barely notice it.

Silly boy! Didn't you listen to your mother? You run with scissors!!:)--KV

I ran a few times when I was a kid. Hated it. Been avoiding it ever since.

I use a stationary bike. Easier on the joints and I can wear my handgun and pretend crooks jump out to steal my bike.

You could always try a hydration waist pack. Room for one or two water bottles and a zippered pouch for wallet, keys, and knives.

Last edited:
Back