Knives you would never buy again!

Gotta read the backstory on that. Do you own a ThighMaster or something?

Personally, I won't ever again buy anything with a Wharncliffe blade. Freaking next to useless for almost every common knife task.

I was chasing antelope on my grandfather's property outside of Craig, Colorado and needed to cross a small valley to get a shot on a herd on the next ridge. I was sprinting through the ravine and the knife in the OEM leather sheath was on my belt and strapped to my thigh. While running, the knife moved from the side of my leg to the front of my leg. When my leg extended, the knife "bunched up" between my abdomen and the tie-down strap on the sheath effectively compressing and bending the knife. This snapped the blade in half about 4 inches from the tip.

After returning to the house, I pulled half of a Ka-Bar out of the sheath and almost wept.

As for the Thighmaster, you're close. I've been racing bicycles for the last 16 years. My legs are... Strong ;)

Last edited:
"The Para II (an the Millie, that is arriving soon) trumps most of these. Can't say enough about the PM II - simple, large (thin profile), and the blade is amazing. If I picked one up sooner, I wouldn't have most of those knives."

:thumbup:

I just sold or got rid of most of my highend stuff and replaced them with a PM2. I now have three and one on the way. Really cant beat that knife as an overall package.

No prob ;) sorry for the poor grammar (used my phone in traffic lol).. Spyderco has won me over, even over some great BM designs.. I'm sure you will love the PM II!

It doesn't take long does it. And believe it or not, you will like and appreciate it a little more each day. You are going to pick up the knives in that photo in another month or two and they will just feel...wrong. Well, I shouldn't say how it will go with you, but that's been my experience.

Chris Reeve umnumzaan. Not a fan of the low HT. thing dulls after cutting paper

Spyderco endura- had two and the lock gave out on both.

Microtech- and OTF's in general, the design is not durable

Benchmade grip- terrible tolerances

Gerber anything- quality is laughable at best. Except the multi tools, I like those

Buck anything- knife is dull after sitting for 3 days

I would probably say the Paramilitary 2. I bought 2 that had serious problems. Maybe when they catch up the QC will get better.

Apparently you've never handled a Sandshark. I have a very early CRKT Point Guard that has ATS-34 and it holds an edge much better than the aus-8 that replaced it. As for knives that i would never buy again, it would be Katz knives, holy awful batman.

Spyderco endura- had two and the lock gave out on both.

Microtech- and OTF's in general, the design is not durable

Benchmade grip- terrible tolerances

Gerber anything- quality is laughable at best. Except the multi tools, I like those

Buck anything- knife is dull after sitting for 3 days

sog trident for me..... terrible heat treat. aus-8 was wrose than cold steel's

and super wiggly :/

Me being a person that likes to have the most advanced things, I would never buy a folder without a flipper.

It doesn't take long does it. And believe it or not, you will like and appreciate it a little more each day. You are going to pick up the knives in that photo in another month or two and they will just feel...wrong. Well, I shouldn't say how it will go with you, but that's been my experience.

Exactly. All of my other blades feel small in comparison.. Spyderco’s make for great slicers, its as simple as that.

For years, I’ve been intrigued by the spydie leaf-shape styles, and simple designs. But out of some weird, misguided loyalty, and omertà.. I always said “nope.” I also like that the millies are made in the U.S.

No turnin’ back now :)

didn't buy this one as it was given to me, though I really could do without it.
SOG Trident that seen no hard use other than carrying & light duties. rattles like there's no tomorrow, don't like their AUS-8 (I prefer Boker's 440C). Oh, did I mentioned it wobbles like crazy!?

Anything from eBay and Amazon (3rd party seller). I'm sure there are legit sellers on there, but after getting a fake millie, gonna stay away and stick with legit knife retailers.

I won't touch anything from Smith and Wesson, had their knives and watches and their complete garbage. I also won't touch Mtech knives, handled them and I could feel the cheapness right away, I half expect the blades to snap off on their spring assisted knives upon opening.

I am also avoiding Gerber for a lot of the same reasons as others stated.

I refuse to buy another CRKT m16-10z or any in that line after seeing mine and my brothers knife (his being a different model) both having a lockup problem. If you flick the knife open anything past gently opening it it would get stuck in the open position and require something to pry the liner lock free to close. Both knives developed this problem after purchasing. This issue has made me not trust CRKT knives or else I probably would have bought a CRKT Drifter already as it's extremely close to my ideal knife I want.

Bark River Aurora. Knife had a lot of hype for me due its popularity. The handle fits me poorly. It is too big. The blade is very long and pointy and isn't ground evenly. It is now a shop knife that I beat on a bit. I like BR, and own 4 right now having owned 3 others and sold them. This one just isn't me.

Anything from Queen, I bought two folders which had lovely fit and finish but the blades were BLUNT. I'm a pretty good sharpener and don't mind putting an edge on aknife that comes a little dull from the factory but these were more like butter knives than actual cutting tool. D2 was hard to frind by hand, so I had to take them to a knifemaker, too much of a hassle. I can't return anything because I live far from the US in a third world country, shipping parcels is quire expensive and things get stolen at the post office all the time.

My experience with Buck linerlocks has been bad, too. I had an Alpha folder and a Crosslock. I could push both of them closed without much effort with my bare hands. I took the Alpha on a long trip through South America, discovered the failure one week into a multiple month journey and just used it as a friction folder. Luckily I had a fixed blade in my backpack.

for me it would have to be strider due to poor qc. anything from Spydercos byrd line. Actually 95% of "budget folders" :D

no more three-bladed stockman or whittler slipjoints for me. too wide, blades scratch against each other, and they jut above the handle in a weird way. hereon i'm a jack knife man: two blades, pivoting on the same end, with their own respective springs and channels.

Mini Grip - thick, cheap feeling handle.

Love my Spyderco's but I would not buy another Zulu. I have been intrigued by Jens Anso's knives for quite a while, so I had to get a Zulu when they came out. While it looked cool, the knife just wasn't user friendly - the extreme recurve blade is hard to sharpen and doesn't slice well for a thin blade, It's also uncomfortable in the hand, feels thick in the pocket, and the liner lock is very thin, as well.

Anything from Gerber or Puma - The stuff they put out now is a complete disgrace compared to the world class cutlery they put out before they sold out. (pre-mid 80's)

Boker Plus knives - impressive fit and finish for a Chinese made knife but their 440C doesn't hold an edge worth a flip.

Anything from CRKT. Bought a WASP and a KISS back in the 90's. The KISS was a dangerous knife that should have never made it into the publics hands. If you squeeze the knife with any pressure the lock will collapse - I have a nasty scar to prove it.. The WASP had a nice fit and finish with quality components (G-10, titanium, AUS-118 steel) but it was uncomfortable in the hand and the lock would disengage with just a light spine tap.

Will never buy another assisted opener or a waved knife. Just plain don't like either (gimmicky) style of knife

Back