• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Koster's Kickstarter project

No updates since May 1, 2020. No knives shipped or progress made since 11/2019. In the May 1 update he claimed the delay was partially because he "...tipped over the shelf with all the folder parts in it and have had to piece them all back together..." and that he is "...helping 5 kids at home doing online school."

This project was funded / started 12/2016 and all knives were supposed to be shipped by 6/2017. In three years Dan has completed 4 knives.

2,5 months after the last update (the now famous "I tipped over the shelf with all the folder parts in it and have had to piece them all back together which was very tedious and time-consuming") we now have a brand new update from Daniel Koster !

The complete message is :

"Slow and steady
I almost have the next one done
sorry for the delay".

The glacial flattening of parts of the continental United States was slow and steady in relation to his time table. Koster seems to live in a time bubble on the edge of an event horizon of a black hole. Time IS passing for him, but at an imperceptible rate while the rest of race to dust. At this rate he could have knocked over his shelf of parts so many times a knife should accidentally assembled itself by sheer probability.

Never buy a knife from W.C. Fields

After reading threads like this, it's hard for me to contemplate how anyone could get away with this bullshit for three years.

The SURVIVE! Thread... yeesh... theres a beast....

Why do people think that it's ok to do these things?

Koster used to be a respected member of this forum. WTF happened!? This seems way to common with makers. Gain some respect. Make some money. And go straight to hell.

So I'm a total idiot when it comes to making knives, but if everything is so hand-fit that each liner, scale, blade, etc cannot be swapped around with one another, wouldn't it make prudent sense to emboss a number or letter or some other mark on each part to make sure that you always know what goes with what knife? Also, since he manages to crank out about one knife every 60 months, how hard could it be to figure out what goes with what?

The first thing you learn who you start making folders is that you label everything.

If a maker doesn't understand this, they have no clue what they are doing.

I initially kicked myself in the butt when I missed out on the kickstarter offer - sorry to hear this ordeal keeps dragging on. I refuse to buy one of his knives, even on the secondary Market.

I initially kicked myself in the butt when I missed out on the kickstarter offer - sorry to hear this ordeal keeps dragging on. I refuse to buy one of his knives, even on the secondary Market.
Well there goes the value of my old ones, really thought he was good back then, he went the way of Survive, a perfect match for both of them.:eek:

Depends on what "value" means to you. "Value" as an investment or "value" as a tool? The value of his reputation is long gone. :(

Koster used to be a respected member of this forum. WTF happened!? This seems way to common with makers. Gain some respect. Make some money. And go straight to hell.

While I hear what you are saying, Dan has been missing quoted completions dates since pretty much day one. I know that there are customers that paid for knives in 2013 that have yet to get there knives.

Depends on what "value" means to you. "Value" as an investment or "value" as a tool? The value of his reputation is long gone. :(

I still think his fixed blades are good quality knives. And, if I forget the super weak detent, the Bushcraft folder is also good.
So in the end it's really a shame Daniel Koster was unable (or unwilling) to improve his build and delivery process. Now his reputation is gone and every Kickstarter backer hates him.

Last edited:
Back