Lets see some Hinderer action

Got a question for you guys. I don't have another blade on me right now, I'll check tonight but I put a carbon fiber scale on my 3" hinder and everything fits flush except by the stud. Is this common for all scales or did I just get the lucky carbon fiber scale.

oRBU0Wv.jpg
I dont own a hinderer, but on a review I was watching, someone explained that they had the same concern and so sent it back to hinderer for inspection. Hinderer sent it back explaining that that was normal... I have noticed others are the same when I pay enough close attention to videos/pictures.

It has something to do with getting to the lockbar easier?
-Shrug-

Got a question for you guys. I don't have another blade on me right now, I'll check tonight but I put a carbon fiber scale on my 3" hinder and everything fits flush except by the stud. Is this common for all scales or did I just get the lucky carbon fiber scale.

oRBU0Wv.jpg
You're good to go, that's how they come. My CF scale on my slicer is the same.

the weird thing is, some Hinderer's are really snappy, others are really difficult without flicking your wrist to get them to snap open. It's hit and miss from brand new off the shelf to second hand one's. The MP-1, 3" and 3.5" are really snappy, the others, eh, not so much.

iPg5wMF.jpg

Are the 3" wharnie's hard to find? I have a 3" Kershaw wharnie and it's easy to sharpen, very simple knife.

Are the 3" wharnie's hard to find? I have a 3" Kershaw wharnie and it's easy to sharpen, very simple knife.

I don’t see them as often as other blade shapes but they seem to pop up from time to time. I like my wharnie because it’s something a little different but still functional (like the CRK Insingo Blade). Honestly, I felt pretty “meh” about my 3” XM-18. The combination of the wharnie blade and newly installed Ti scale make it a keeper for me. If it was another blade shape I don’t know that I’d keep it.

My Kershaw was my first learning experience with wet stones, I found it on the side of the road, it's a wharnie. The 3" xm-18, I like the size and how light it is. The half track is a little more bulkier. I heard something this morning, blades you sharpen, you tend to keep. Blades you don't you tend to sell. I tend to agree with that. The 3" xm-18 I got is dull in comparison to my zt 0909 that I sharpened myself and I have a a Jurassic that was sharpened on a wicked edge which to me is just as sharp as my wet stone sharpen. What I'm getting at, I think the 3" wharnie would be a keeper that I'd like to sharpen and use. Being still new to sharpening, I'm still kind of scared to sharpen most of my knifes.

Back on the choil subject, I personally like the choil as I sharpen by hand with wet stones and find it difficult when the blade extends to or under the handle or the stud affects sharpening like it does with the Jurassic, which is why I'm going to let that one go.

Updated pick after letting go of the 4" to a forum member and picking up a 3" warncliff. Then letting go of the half track as I like slimmer knifes, it's pretty chunky, probably picking up a 3 or 3.5 tanto.

8FDX4lV.jpg

A lot of people are starting to discover the MP-1 and love it. I like the MP1 but personally I am a bigger fan of the Jurassic. I use my knives hard and my Jurassic just loves to be used plus it fits my big hands really well.

With the above stated, it is no secret I am a complete Half Track nut. The Half Track to me is the best sub 3" knife on the market. For its small size it performs big and it is the perfect everywhere carry. I always have a Half Track in my top right pocket. My lower pocket typically has either a Jurassic, Harpoon Spanto, Harpoon Tanto Fatty or ZT0456 in it!

If you need some comparison pics of any of the models just let me know?
Can you send me comparison pics of an XM18 3.5 vs 3.5 FATTY? I'm trying to get a feel for what the actual size difference is.

Can you send me comparison pics of an XM18 3.5 vs 3.5 FATTY? I'm trying to get a feel for what the actual size difference is.

Just posted this on your other post!
----------------------------------------------
Hope these will help. Laying flat there is no difference besides the F on the Fatty. The difference is all in the width across the spine of the blade, which increases the overall width. If you need other specific pis let me know.

This is the Fatty Harpoon Tanto and regular XM-18 3.5 Harpoon Spanto.

Back