LETS SEE THOSE MAGNIFICENT HJ's

The wheeler dealers are going to hate me (I hope). πŸ˜†

I just paid in advance for one of Charlies HJs (which was at a relativley bargain price) on behalf of someone who has traded a couple of knives with me in the UK.

Ive never met him,but I trust him.

The seller (who I have also traded with) has packed and sent the parcel within an hour to go straight to him.

I think it was less than I paid for mine,there was no mark up whatsoever I just facilitated the sale when I spotted it was available

I have 3 HJS 2 of Charlies and one GEC or I would have had it myself.

So hes getting one of these to go with the white bone he had of me.

This is my user taken in my damp English garden today.

It feels good to have helped someone out,the good will of the Porch spreads out worldwide from here .:cool:

Last edited:
I needed an awl,I just love using this one.

John, years ago I was at a local MC shop when a SnapOn truck pulled up to the service entrance. Needless to say I was thrilled! The driver let me on board and I was like kid in a candy shop! I told him that he has the best job in the world! He said that feeling lasted about two weeks and then it was just a job. Anyway, I bought the exact same screw driver as yours and it has held me in good stead. At the time I had to marshal my income so that was all I could afford.

John, years ago I was at a local MC shop when a SnapOn truck pulled up to the service entrance. Needless to say I was thrilled! The driver let me on board and I was like kid in a candy shop! I told him that he has the best job in the world! He said that feeling lasted about two weeks and then it was just a job. Anyway, I bought the exact same screw driver as yours and it has held me in good stead. At the time I had to marshal my income so that was all I could afford.
They arent cheap, in England mechanics have to buy their own tools which is wrong when working for a big garage.

are supplied in most countries in Europe.

Top tip if I see a van at a garage I stop ask for a look around as sometimes they have S/H tools or other bits a lower price.

in England mechanics have to buy their own tools which is wrong when working for a big garage.
That's everywhere, big or small garage or shop.
Always has been, always will be. 🀨

I think the only places I've see that has a tool room (or tool cabinet) are Junior and Senior High schools in most shops classes, factories*, and a couple heavy truck dealer repair shops, that have specialized tools and guages that might get used once or twice a year, on specific engines.
(*The folk maintaing the assembly line and machinery own their own tools.)

At best the shop might have specialized tools and equipment.
A tool room requires an additiional employee or two. Combining the parts room and tool room was done at the Mercedes Benze/BMW/ and International truck dealer in my home town. They had at least 3 working in that department, and the auto and truck repair shops were not that busy - or large. 8 or 9 mechanics in each, if memory serves.
A Auto Repair shop usually has the parts department hand out the repair manuals and guides as needed.

A bodyshop might have a spray gun for liquid pickup bed liner, or undercoating for example, or they might require the painter to supply his/her own. I knew a couple bodymen who had at least 5 sprayguns (not counting airbrushes)
They might have a "Jaws of Life" for the bodymen to use, but since they could be had for under $150~$200 in 1980, few if any do.
At least if the shop does frame straightening, they provide the frame machine. (generally $12,000 plus, (depending on attachments included) back in the mid 1990's ... used ... 😳 I had to price them for the auto repair shop I worked at in Stockton, MO. Shop owner decides it wouldn't be cheaper to straighten the twisted frame on his pickup himself, and didn't want to add that service at his shop, after-all, after he talked to the body shop in town and found out unless the vehicle was in a accident (and needed it), they might straighted one or two farm truck frames a year. 😊)

It is not unusual for a mechanic to have $25,000 to $30,000 in tools plus another $10,000+ (depending on options ... worklights, fancy sound system, custom paint, etc) in tool chests and carts to hold them.
The majority of their tools are long paid for, as well.

Don't forget "Human" Nature:
Many of them are of the opinion "It ain't mine, so I don't care!"
As you may have noticed in your younger days while building your collection: Borrowed tools (and pens, knives...) were more likely to be abused than the tools (or pens, knives...) than the ones owed by the borrower.

Last edited:
Snap!
Same HJ- exactly
Same Soldier SAK- '87
Same Snap-on scroggers- Yellow, Hot Pink, Green & 2! Limited edition cream and red numbers. But no racing green! 😏

What year is your Soldier?
Thats my 77 I also have 78,81,84 and others I forget.

I much prefer to use them than a new cheaper Pioneer. 😁

A massive contributor to the Harness Jack Knife World- who has always been there right next to Charlie, always supported and seriously became Charlies most supportive collector and good friend to Charlie of the C C Harness Jack knives Mr. knowtracks knowtracks .

Those who have met Dave will know what I mean by this person being a top notch person. Dave has kindly supported me over the years with advice, generosity but more-so his friendship.

I had a "wanted" mention on my signature for the #4 Ebony 54 Frame by Charlie, well, I posted a thread about how Dave sneaked in this amazing knife to me, and it blew me away, Dave my friend- I wish the miles between us were fewer, but my friend I stagger and unable to describe my thanks to you in simple English Language for parting with this treasure, one that I hope to be custodian of for quite some time!

What a journey!

hqhnCg5.jpg

WYVFdBd.jpg

KMkz1qn.jpg

You are Very Welcome Duncan My Friend!
I can not think of a better place or person to have custody of that big ol handful that is the 54 pattern.
The etch states 1 of 25 but only bout a dozen were ever made.
Charlie is THE Man when it comes to SFO'S and the HJ was the pattern that attracted me to him!
2005 doesn't seem like that long ago but by golly it's almost 20 years!
Enjoy that HJ in great health My Friend!

Dave

I hereby nominate the venerable HJ as the official pocket knife of The 2024 Eclipse! What better knife to have in your pocket in the event that you need to quickly punch a hole in a piece of cardboard to project the eclipse onto a flat surface for safe viewing? I'll have one on hand today, just in case there is a mishap with my Eclipse glasses! :D

gBCP4qo.jpg

They arent cheap, in England mechanics have to buy their own tools which is wrong when working for a big garage.

That's everywhere, big or small garage or shop.
Always has been, always will be. 🀨

I think the only places I've see that has a tool room (or tool cabinet) are Junior and Senior High schools in most shops classes, factories*, and a couple heavy truck dealer repair shops, that have specialized tools and guages that might get used once or twice a year, on specific engines.
(*The folk maintaing the assembly line and machinery own their own tools.)

Don't forget "Human" Nature:
Many of them are of the opinion "It ain't mine, so I don't care!"
As you may have noticed in your younger days while building your collection: Borrowed tools (and pens, knives...) were more likely to be abused than the tools (or pens, knives...) than the ones owed by the borrower.

The U.S. is the same with garages & shops about buying your own tools. I work as an industrial mechanic, luckily the company I work for provides the tools & equipment for us. You're right, those tools do get super expensive super quick. I've seen the invoices on some of the stuff we get in. For instance I just got through tapping out some new threads for a steam line with a $300+ tap. If you put a little bit too much pressure or go too fast... SNAP!!! 😱
I can only imagine how much is invested in my tool box alone. You're also right afishhunter afishhunter about us making our own tools. I have several specialized ones that I've made or improved to make work more efficient & easier. Work smarter not harder as it were.
Also what you said about human nature, absolutely yes, there's a reason I don't lend my stuff out...

Anyway, to stay on the subject I love that Waynorth HJ you have Johnnythefox Johnnythefox !
I wish I could contribute more to the thread but I don't have a harness jack to post up. I'll just sit & enjoy y'all's pics, keep them coming πŸ˜‰

You're also right afishhunter afishhunter about us making our own tools. I have several specialized ones that I've made or improved to make work more efficient & easier.
Come to thunk of it, we had a regular customer with a FORD "1/2 ton" 4x4 who came in 2 or 3 times a month for a new rear axle pinion seal.
Pulling the u-joint yoke off the pinion was a regal royal pain in the sitter.
I bought a piece of stainless steel rod the same length as the U-Joint was wde, and diameier diameter as the U-joint bearing cups, drilled through the center, took it to the shop down the block that made farm truck aluminum flatbeds (with under body and/or on bed storage/tool boxes, with or without up to 400 gallon behind the cab fuel tank, with or without a small 1,000 pound capaity lifting arm/crane, and up to four trailer towing options, as needed), to tap the hole for a 6" 9/16 inch diameter bolt. (they had a tap the right size and a machine to run the tap.)

Easy as no-bake frozen ___ cream pie to pull the yoke after that!
Remove U-joint and driveshaft from the yoke, install my tool on the yoke, tighten the center bolt to push the yoke off.
Changed from a 3~4 hour job to 20~25 minutes. πŸ˜πŸ‘
(I wasn't paid by the hour. I got changed to a percentage of the parts sold, to cut costs. That actually turned into a modest raise. πŸ˜πŸ‘)

I spent less than $10 on my tool parts and the few minutes labor at the other shop.
Snap-On and MAC had a similar tool on their trucks.
They "only" wanted around $200.⁰⁰ for theirs, which were stamped "Snap-On" or "MAC TOOS", deending on which truck. πŸ˜³πŸ™„
I let both keep theirs.

My DIY tool did the same thing theirs did, and would last just as long ... (presuming it wasn't stolen by the F4 tornado that came through town a couple years after I left that flattened the shop buildin, several cars along with the shop's wrecker, and took both the owner's full tool chests. I gave him the Ford U-Joint yoke puller I made.

On the "plus" side, the shop and neighboring businesses were closed when the tornado came to visit. πŸ˜πŸ‘

It also flattened one of two an autoparts houses in town, the primary bank, library, and several other businesses on the town square, a motel, city park, post office, exhaust and tyre shop, Used Farm Implement dealership, grocery store, and several homes. ☹️
I'm surprised there were so few injuries, and no fatalities (aside from businesses, buildings, and trees) that I know of.

Town is unrecgnizeable to me on Google Earth now.

Last edited:
A massive contributor to the Harness Jack Knife World- who has always been there right next to Charlie, always supported and seriously became Charlies most supportive collector and good friend to Charlie of the C C Harness Jack knives Mr. knowtracks knowtracks .

Those who have met Dave will know what I mean by this person being a top notch person. Dave has kindly supported me over the years with advice, generosity but more-so his friendship.

I had a "wanted" mention on my signature for the #4 Ebony 54 Frame by Charlie, well, I posted a thread about how Dave sneaked in this amazing knife to me, and it blew me away, Dave my friend- I wish the miles between us were fewer, but my friend I stagger and unable to describe my thanks to you in simple English Language for parting with this treasure, one that I hope to be custodian of for quite some time!

What a journey!

hqhnCg5.jpg

WYVFdBd.jpg

KMkz1qn.jpg
One of a dozen!! Rare!! What a gift!!

I hereby nominate the venerable HJ as the official pocket knife of The 2024 Eclipse! What better knife to have in your pocket in the event that you need to quickly punch a hole in a piece of cardboard to project the eclipse onto a flat surface for safe viewing? I'll have one on hand today, just in case there is a mishap with my Eclipse glasses! :D

gBCP4qo.jpg
What a way to start a line of Knives - with this one right here ^ Thank you Charlie, I can only imagine your excitement, relief and proudness when you handled your first run from Queen with Bill at the Helm.

Really nice eclipse choice Jim :) That's a stunner for sure!

Back