Lets see those Scandi grind knives.

What are the twelve styles? I have not heard of this....

Best,
Marion

Sorry, I don't have any references in English, but I recently read (or tried to read) a Finnish historian that proposed twelve distinct styles. Personally, I can't tell the difference between a few of them, but maybe that's why I'm not an historian. I'm also not quite sure that any other Finnish historians agree with his taxonomy. My Finnish isn't good enough to tell the difference between "here's another example of the style" and "here's an example of another style".

Some references (in Finnish) that popped up on another chat board, in case you want to get crazy about this:

Puukon historia, by Anssi Ruusuvuori
SUURI PUUKKOKIRJA 1 & 2
Puukko, by Sakari Pälsin

How does handles size on the BCNW compare to the larger 'Mora' barrel handles?
I don't know what a larger Mora Barrel handle is like but for me there is no comparison in the strong feel of the BCNW for carving and the couple of Mora blades I have.

I assume you're talking about the larger "barrel" handles as on the Eriksson #2 or #3, or big Frost's Mora and the like...

I find the BCNW feels more compact and dense, a bit more rounded, it fits inside the hand. With the Mora, it's more that my hand fits around it, rather than it fitting inside. The BCNW has a better balance, too, IMHO.

I'd post a side-by-side, but the OP said no Moras.

Brostrom-90starine.jpg

IMG_2922.JPG

Blade is from Stephan Brostrom,handle is lace sheoak...

As I thought, I really like that. Well done with the handle, well done!

I assume you're talking about the larger "barrel" handles as on the Eriksson #2 or #3, or big Frost's Mora and the like...

I find the BCNW feels more compact and dense, a bit more rounded, it fits inside the hand. With the Mora, it's more that my hand fits around it, rather than it fitting inside. The BCNW has a better balance, too, IMHO.

I'd post a side-by-side, but the OP said no Moras.

You have it right.

If posting a Mora might help promote a non-Mora, that might be OK.

Or, if you felt really inspired, you might do a photo review of the BCNW, and in a couple shots, throw in the 'barrels'. : )

Best,
Marion

Went over to AdventureSworn's (Cody) workshop today and borrowed some equipment time haha. He has a nice router with a spindle that does some nice fast work, and it beats driving to my shop 2 hours away.

This is my main user, my handle job, Bernie Garland's blank

I did a lot of re-shaping to make it very round through the whole handle, finished it with a 400 grit, will be hitting with the buffer this weekend.

P6160038.jpg

P6160047.jpg

P6160039.jpg

P6160046.jpg

P6160045.jpg

P6160044.jpg

P6160043.jpg

P6160042.jpg

P6160041.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any references in English, but I recently read (or tried to read) a Finnish historian that proposed twelve distinct styles.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there might be intrest for a puukko-book written in English? I have plenty of spare time at the moment :D

To avoid this getting too offtopic, here's a knife I just carried for a 5 day hike at northern Finland, Roselli Vaarinpuukko:

roselli-vaarinpuukko.JPG

Just out of curiosity, do you think there might be intrest for a puukko-book written in English? I have plenty of spare time at the moment :D

To avoid this getting too offtopic, here's a knife I just carried for a 5 day hike at northern Finland, Roselli Vaarinpuukko:

I think there would be good interest. I know I would buy one, and I have a few local cousins who have also lost the language but not the interest. Go for it!

(And a very nice knife)

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Adventure Sworn aka Cody ?
I would like to get a couple of his knives.

Thanks

guns_and_labs and PayetteRucker, thanks for the support :thumbup:

I googled around a bit, and there really doesnt seem to be any puukko books written in english... never even thought about this; being a finn Im blessed with an abundance of great puukko books... Pälsis "Puukko", "Puukot" by the Kemppinen brothers etc.

I think Im gonna give it a try ;)

guns_and_labs and PayetteRucker, thanks for the support :thumbup:

I googled around a bit, and there really doesnt seem to be any puukko books written in english... never even thought about this; being a finn Im blessed with an abundance of great puukko books... Pälsis "Puukko", "Puukot" by the Kemppinen brothers etc.

I think Im gonna give it a try ;)

Awesome, seeing as how it's such an influential bushcrafting tool I think it would realy come in handy for the makers and scandi lovers out there. So much of Scandinavian history is untapped by English speakers, I'm trying to learn Old Norse but there's just about nothing out there on the language-some rediculously expensive old texts on Amazon and that's about it.

My cheap and cheerful Rapala fishing knife.
IMGP1181.jpg

My little Mora that I use for wood carving.
IMGP1087.jpg

9 inch leuku on the right (I gave both knives to my brother in-law)
IMGP0882.jpg

I gave this Kellam Prowler to my sister.
IMGP0653.jpg

Bushcraft knife by sticks65 (given to my brother in-law, he does very well out of me!).
IMGP0604.jpg

Kellam Wolverine, which I gave to my father as part of his birthday present.
IMGP0529.jpg

Back