Let's see your Becker bags

My condor bag is the rip off version of the maxped falcon 2. I think it is very good quality for the $40 price tag I got on mine. I usually use it for day hikes but I have used it for a 3 day 2 night backpacking pack which was a bit of a stretch. The stitching may come out in some spots but if you are willing to stitch it up yourself, it will be good because you would be saving a bit of money. I want to upgrade to a falcon 2 later but that super falcon is looking really nice. As far as maxped stuff goes, they have amazing quality to their stuff. 1000 denier ballistic nylon is supposed to be stronger than the 1000 denier cordura materials out there (consider that most old military gear is made up of 500 denier cordura) so many people say that maxpedition is way overbuilt. Yes there is a large break in period but once it is broken in, it is nice and comfy. My sitka is awesome and I thought that it may give out under a significant amount of weight because it only has one strap but it is holding up just fine.

My Kelty Redwing is what I carry for long day hikes, or maybe a 1 nighter. This pack has logged well over 100 miles on my back. It's been rained on, snowed on, run over with an ATV, got sticky with pine sap, and still cleans up like new. Can't beat Kelty for the quality or cost.

attachment.php

I love my Redwing, too. Great pack, and I love the layout.

My condor bag is the rip off version of the maxped falcon 2. I think it is very good quality for the $40 price tag I got on mine. I usually use it for day hikes but I have used it for a 3 day 2 night backpacking pack which was a bit of a stretch. The stitching may come out in some spots but if you are willing to stitch it up yourself, it will be good because you would be saving a bit of money. I want to upgrade to a falcon 2 later but that super falcon is looking really nice. As far as maxped stuff goes, they have amazing quality to their stuff. 1000 denier ballistic nylon is supposed to be stronger than the 1000 denier cordura materials out there (consider that most old military gear is made up of 500 denier cordura) so many people say that maxpedition is way overbuilt. Yes there is a large break in period but once it is broken in, it is nice and comfy. My sitka is awesome and I thought that it may give out under a significant amount of weight because it only has one strap but it is holding up just fine.

Which model of Condor pack is that?

My sitka is awesome and I thought that it may give out under a significant amount of weight because it only has one strap but it is holding up just fine.

I had one of those. Nice bag. Traded it for my BK9. I think I got the better deal.

I have a couple of 5.11 bottle carriers. Nice little bags. It was recommended to me for my Stanley cook set. Tight fit, but it works. Not insulated, no pockets, but works well. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ley-Cookset-and-Guyot?p=10621374#post10621374

Thanks for posting this! The Nalgene/Guyot is what I wanted it for, so I'm sold. Murph, If you want my brand new Maxped one, You can have it for $22 brand new (if I read your post right and you want a few more MAXPED ones...). I just want to replace it with the 5.11. It looks like it might handle the nesting cup better. It fits the Maxped, but the insulation makes it a bitch to get out.

Thanks for posting this! The Nalgene/Guyot is what I wanted it for, so I'm sold. Murph, If you want my brand new Maxped one, You can have it for $22 brand new (if I read your post right and you want a few more MAXPED ones...). I just want to replace it with the 5.11. It looks like it might handle the nesting cup better. It fits the Maxped, but the insulation makes it a bitch to get out.
No problem. The OD bags are only $10.
There was a code you could puit in, and get them for $8.50. That's what I did.

EDIT: C_Tanner, the GSI cup is a tight fit. Just wanted to point that out. The cup goes in okay, but the handles you have to work at a bit to get in.

Last edited:

Sure, that'd be good if you want bring it to the gathering.

Sure, that'd be good if you want bring it to the gathering.

Its up in the air if I'm still going to be able to go. I'll know by tuesday. If no, I'll ship it for you.

TW, can you PM me where you are finding them so cheap? They are $22 on Amazon, and I thought THAT was a good deal.

TW, can you PM me where you are finding them so cheap? They are $22 on Amazon, and I thought THAT was a good deal.
Done. Did you see above what I said about the GSI cup being a tight fit? Didn't want you to think it slipped right in, because it doesn't. She's a snug one.

Done. Did you see above what I said about the GSI cup being a tight fit? Didn't want you to think it slipped right in, because it doesn't. She's a snug one.

Even with that, the Maxped one is too big for me, and its not neccesary. Whats important is tbe bottle and tbe fish mouth spreaders (bail), as that is a "5 Cs of Survivability" item.

Even with that, the Maxped one is too big for me, and its not neccesary. Whats important is tbe bottle and tbe fish mouth spreaders (bail), as that is a "5 Cs of Survivability" item.
How is that still treating you? I'm concerned about weight issues and I'm already carrying a 9 a 2 and a 14 besides extra change of clothes.
8b32942f.jpg

I finally got around to posting this. Kelty Redwing 3100. This is my get home / day hike / carry everywhere bag. I absolutely love it. It has enough room to always carry the essentials and still be able to pack for different occasions. I especially like the slits that run down in between the pockets on the side. They hold a large knife and SS water bottle perfectly.

IMG_0329.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0328.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0330.jpg
[/IMG]

Well since I took it upon myself to go fishing this morn...I carried my Timberland Fisherman bag that I had forever. I usually carry a Voodoo Assault or North Face Exocet (medium).

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

I finally got around to posting this. Kelty Redwing 3100. This is my get home / day hike / carry everywhere bag. I absolutely love it. It has enough room to always carry the essentials and still be able to pack for different occasions. I especially like the slits that run down in between the pockets on the side. They hold a large knife and SS water bottle perfectly.

IMG_0329.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0328.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0330.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm a big fan of my Kelty Redwing. Only problem for me is that for some trips it is too big. I have the tendency to fill all available space. :)

I use it mostly when I have my family with me (including a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old). I wish every bag had the flow-through side pocket design, though. It's incredibly handy.

I will have the larger Maxped bottle holder with me at the Gathering. 12x5 I think.

I use it mostly when I have my family with me (including a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old). I wish every bag had the flow-through side pocket design, though. It's incredibly handy.

Yup. I completely agree. I like that you can keep the knife up to be able to grab it or drop it through the Velcro to hide it. That option should be on every bag. I mostly carry for the family so that’s why I don’t worry too much about it being big. They don’t like to haul stuff. For small day hikes I carry my 7 with my “married with kid” survival kit.

Back