1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 17 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KaBar Becker BK 15 Mini Camp!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK 15, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 27; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by UCPOPO, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Thanks!

DocJD likes this.
  2. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I don't know if it works or not, I just wanted to build it. I've been trying to learn the rope dart/meteor hammer, but even watching the demonstration videos there's just so much I can't follow.

DocJD likes this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek: Be VERY careful with any "flexible " rope , chain etc type weapons practice because they can do weird and unexpected things , especially when they bounce off something .

I got hurt a lot practicing with nunchucks and even worse with weighted chain / manriki-gusari/ karsari-fundo . :oops:

Very difficult to master . Adding a sharp point / edge makes it just that more dangerous . o_O

4. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    I've got that one covered, I've got a practice dart/hammer with a tennis ball on the end. Even went with a blue scarf on it for such purposes since blue designates inert training dummies.

DocJD likes this.
  5. papercutter

papercutter

Mar 6, 2016
    That looks amazing. How much would you charge to do that to my knife? Also, did you have to make a new sheath?

6. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Thanks!

$50 + shipping.

Nope, you can still use the original sheath.

7. papercutter

papercutter

Mar 6, 2016
    That sounds good, thanks!

8. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Modded Spartan blade profile. Weight dropped by a few tenths of an ounce which shifted balance back to index finger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HFinn, slicecream, razorburn and 9 others like this.
  9. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Thats cool as hell. Kinda has an Osborne look about it.

AF likes this.
  10. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Took the half serrations off of my old Aus 8 voyager. Its not perfect (just noticing how bad I now need to grind the little notch off) but I like it way more than I did before. It has a little recurve now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Meshach

Meshach Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Every half serrated knife needs this mod!

G. Scott H., oxman198 and DocJD like this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Only after you can't sharpen them anymore ! ;):thumbsup:

Mike Sastre likes this.
  13. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I made a Recon 1 into a "navaja". I used only Dremel sander and wet sandpaper. The spear point resembles a Malaga - style blade, leaf or spear point shape was actually quite common. So this is a modern navaja, "Malaquena". If I really get crazy I could make "carraca" ratchet into the tang, I have seen it done.

[​IMG]

14. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I think I will get another Recon 1, the clip point and make it into s "Sevillana" just for the hell of it.

15. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    I prefer the look of the saber grind but this is what happened when I started thinning on belt grinder. I'm not master of the 1X30" :)
    Anyway, I had fun modding. I shaved off a few tenths of an ounce in weight. It weighs 6.8oz and the balance is now perfectly neutral. Before it was slightly blade-heavy.
    Mods performed:
    1. Regrind to thinner flat/slightly convex.
    2. Nylon washers replaced with PB.
    3. Scales sanded to remove texture.
    4. Clip shorted because tip broke off when try to straighten with hammer. Still has sufficient clearance for jean's pocket.
    [​IMG]

slicecream and DocJD like this.
  16. Albertafarmer

Albertafarmer

Apr 17, 2016
    Thanks for posting, AF. I have been thinking of removing the texture on mind and it's really cool to see it done.

17. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Here's one more pic showing clip side of handle.
    [​IMG]

HFinn likes this.
  18. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
    This isn't much of a mod, but I scored a Recon with damaged tip a few weeks ago, and had an M9 bayonet with tip damage as well (my fault, let's never speak of it). Had some time to kill so took my 3yo son to the garage to show him how to grind them out. Now a little stone work and they'll be good as new.

This Recon will be his when he gets a bit older, unless I can find him a Carbon-V like mine.
    [​IMG]

19. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Broken Skull sanded blade, lockbar and clip. Small blade profile mod. Pink scales dyed to a dirty red...at least they aren't pink anymore!
    Grik reprofiled, reground and sanded blade. HTR removed. Clip replaced. Not only is the stock clip ugly, it must be lifted when pocketing because it has almost no clearance.
    [​IMG]

dobermaniac, HFinn, Dadpool and 2 others like this.
  20. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Lawman AUS8A two-tone
    [​IMG]

rdg, slicecream and Dadpool like this.