1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by UCPOPO, Aug 2, 2014.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    So I decided to go with the simplicity of the classic navaja. I like simple and clean lines. Essentially this is the same mod I did to the Talwar; overthrow the handle groove dictatorship and straighten the spine. I also ended up rounding the thumb disk on the Talwar like I did to this Espada.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. beckerbrain

beckerbrain

Nov 18, 2014
    Damn that TM is just gorgeous. Need to find someone who can do that exact handle upgrade for me (as soon as I can afford it). Love the TM, don’t care for the rubber handle too much.

3. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Great job on this, i've done similar things to many of my Cold Steels, will have to post some up. The straight spine really changes this one.

David Mary likes this.
  4. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks! I've never been a fan of the upswept tip for a tactical or utility knife, and not for lack of trying.

5. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    I have a good friend who is an amuture bladesimth in remote town , and i ask him for making some CS knives mods for me.
    what come out are really nice , he did great , very professional job done.
    Those knives feel great in hand and looks special.
    the handles made of stag and cow leather stack , and sanded into very somth shape. those knives are decorated with barass guards.
    Recon Scout and TrailMaster 's handle are longer than rubber handles they before got. So the leverage are longer and the chopping power are larger.
    stag bottons locked hand very fast and make it very safe when doing slash and chop game.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  6. beckerbrain

beckerbrain

Nov 18, 2014

Those are beautiful! Great work!

7. 45Shooter

45Shooter

Mar 30, 2001
    Another very cool mod!
    [​IMG]

David Mary likes this.
  8. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks 45! Did I mention I love modding Cold Steel knives? Speaking of which, I'd really like to get another Recon 1 XL Tanto in xhp to do a wharny with. This time, I'd do it something like this, and tap it for tip down carry:

[​IMG]

Down the road perhaps...

willc likes this.
  9. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    In the meantime...

Cold Steel Eland: I slimmed down the blade profile to remove the ugly nail nick, thinned out the bevels, rounded the tang (no more ratchet action), and replaced the ring with something quieter and more versatile. No need to slip the finger into the ring now to close the knife, as simply pinching the knot will do.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Zieg, willc, rdg and 2 others like this.
  10. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sanded down and dyed the OD scales.

MolokaiRider, willc, AF and 1 other person like this.
  11. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Bought second hand. XHP steel. Regrind was done by Big Chris. I sanded off "Ultimate Hunter." I also chamfered the top edges of the scales. The bottom edges come nicely beveled from the factory while the top edges are squared.
    [​IMG]

12. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    How did you get that cool design on the patina?

13. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Awesome

14. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Med Espada reprofiled
    F7472C78-F413-48A7-A753-D40CB0BDBA30.jpeg

15. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Has an American Lawman look to it now.

16. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my beloved GI tanto .

Blue Sky, jux t and WValtakis like this.
  17. JaccKnives

JaccKnives

May 29, 2019
    Ive been looking for a place to look at cold steel mods. This is a cold steel pendleton hunter lite i redid the handle on. Its a much better alternative

The handle is white g10 with a black paper micarta guard.

18. David Mary

Jul 23, 2015
    Sounds beautiful!! Where's the pic?

19. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    0F5E4BB3-8D4B-417D-8F81-54BBD9A4F3B4.jpeg

daybd, dingy, GlockMonkey and 2 others like this.
  20. daybd

daybd

Oct 13, 2006
    GlockMonkey likes this.