Lets see your Cold Steel mods!!!

The Bush Ranger doesn't wave well. Maybe because the scales are wide so the sides of the plate don't grab? Not sure. I opened up the front of the plate with a file and it works better now.
Uhl3DuXl.jpg

The Bush Ranger doesn't wave well. Maybe because the scales are wide so the sides of the plate don't grab? Not sure. I opened up the front of the plate with a file and it works better now.
Uhl3DuXl.jpg
I've suspected that the Black Talon 2 is notched in front of the wave plate to facilitate waving .

The Black Talon II waves fine, there is a wide opening under the plate that helps.
Also I have a fob attached, so I can apply much more force directly out of the pocket without pressuring the clip when pulling, compared to when pinching the knife with two fingers only, this also helps a lot.
With this said, I don't think any of the CS knives are specifically designed to be waved... They are designed with the idea that can be waved, but I don't think they ever mention it or advertise it in any way...

JsiuEu.jpg

DALedt.jpg

Aus8a Voyager Tanto XL combo edge converted to flat ground recurvy wharncliffe.
IMG_4651.JPG

Aus10a Voyager Tanto XL plain edge converted to wharncliffe.
IMG_4653.JPG

CTS-XHP Talwar Blue G10, with added pseudo finger choil, removed handle grooves, straightened spine, slightly reprofiled and thinned out belly, and black marine tape on pocket clip.
IMG_4650.JPG

Last edited:
Aus8a Voyager Tanto XL combo edge converted to flat ground recurvy wharncliffe.
IMG_4651.JPG

Aus10a Voyager Tanto XL plain edge converted to wharncliffe.
IMG_4653.JPG

CTS-XHP Talwar Blue G10, with added pseudo finger choil, removed handle grooves, straightened spine, slightly reprofiled and thinned out belly, and black marine tape on pocket clip.
IMG_4650.JPG
Nice work. Not a really big fan of wharncliffes but these are well done and the talwar just looks great!

Thanks 45Shooter! I'm quite happy with the Talwar, and I just love the look and aggressive cutting power of wharncliffes.

Not much of a mod but I took the coating off this Broken Skull (blade & lockbar), and etched in "CTS XHP" only.
Very happy with it now, although it still isn't quite done, still some coating to get off and need to polish it up. (I just wanted to get it back together because its one of my favorites and I missed carrying it)

EDIT: as soon as I posted this I thought, "why didn't I sand the clip?". So I took it off and sanded it. Looks much better now. New pics at the bottom

ToVXAS0.jpg
xayv0zR.jpg

I62kMZ3.jpg

cdSewFv.jpg

CWnAzxZ.jpg

s9XMjaZ.jpg

e0gESIZ.jpg

Last edited:
I never really liked the broken skull before, but seeing like this gives it some appeal.

Picked up a Golden Eye on closeout. Made some changes and now it's the Black Eye!
Reshaped scales to merge rear two finger grooves.
Dyed scales black.
Sanded gold color from clip.
Removed HTR (with T2 Torx)
Slight blade profile change - removed a little from spine.
K5KpuhAh.jpg

I have an Espada coming in Aus10A, expected to arrive today, and I need to figure out what to do with it. Thinking about a more carry friendly straight spine/deep carry mod with a more comfortable and useable handle, such as this drawing I did on paint.net:

Cold%20Steel%20Espada%20Large%20straight%20spine%20deep%20carry%20mod.jpg

And here is the update on my Voyager:

IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG

With the rounded tip transition the balance is now almost exactly on the finger groove. After getting used to thumb flicking this beast, not a single one of my spydercos stands a chance. Even the "stiff" endura flies open like a child's toy! The only thing that would make this knife better for me is if there were a little more material towards the back of the handle, to push the tip of the knife down in use. I tried to make a pair of scales in peel ply G10, not once, but twice, but unfortunately so far, the learning curve has proved a bit steep, as the first time, I messed up so badly the scales would have been totally non-functional, and the second time they worked, but I had too much blade play due to imprecise positioning of the pivot hole relative to the stop pin hole, which required some reaming, and introduced blade play. Fixed blade handles are so much easier! I may try again, but given the last attempt took six hours, I will put it on the back burner for now, but I am by no means dissatisfied with the knife in its current form.

I love working on Cold Steel knives!

Okay, one more, my work EDC, can you spot the change? Of course you can! Now it's a precision cardboard devouring beast!

IMG_4714.JPG

Last edited:
P.S. Open to Canadian residents only, as CBSA will probably steal your knife if you ship it here from the USA. :eek: Sorry!

That modded Voyager is awesome. What did you use to drill the "Spydie" hole?

That modded Voyager is awesome. What did you use to drill the "Spydie" hole?

Thanks Andy!

I used a guy at work in the maintenance department! Pretty sure he used a drill press with a carbide bit. He told me the bit was garbage by the time he was done.

Last edited:
Not much of a mod but I took the coating off this Broken Skull (blade & lockbar), and etched in "CTS XHP" only.
Very happy with it now, although it still isn't quite done, still some coating to get off and need to polish it up. (I just wanted to get it back together because its one of my favorites and I missed carrying it)

EDIT: as soon as I posted this I thought, "why didn't I sand the clip?". So I took it off and sanded it. Looks much better now. New pics at the bottom

ToVXAS0.jpg
xayv0zR.jpg

I62kMZ3.jpg

cdSewFv.jpg

CWnAzxZ.jpg

s9XMjaZ.jpg

e0gESIZ.jpg

What did you use to sand the blade? I presume the coating is quite hard and difficult to remove?

Back