1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sunnyd, Jul 20, 2006.

1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Yeah!

2. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    A novelty more than a user but who doesn’t like Davy Crockett. IMG_0372~2-1109x489.JPG

edbeau, knowtracks, Pàdruig and 8 others like this.
  3. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I got this Schrade Walden H-15 a few months ago, and it just feels perfect. I was thinking I need to find this in stainless (sorry, I like stainless), even if it's Chinese. This Western Mark I Navy is actually pretty close, except for the handle.
    [​IMG]
    But that Schrade's handle- I'll have to find a way to reproduce it exactly.

flatblackcapo, edbeau, 315 and 5 others like this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Id I'd love to see what you come up with.

Oh and since you prefer stainless, if you decide to get rid of the schrade let me know.

scrteened porch likes this.
  5. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Actually, I do have a 10' or so by 4" or so drive-belt that would yield a plethora of leather washers. 1/4" paper phenolic would work fine for the flared ends of the handle (have to get some, but it's cheap, except for the shipping, so I'll have to get something more so I can feel better about the shipping).
    I can try it first on one of the flat-grounds, so I don't mess up my only hollow ground dropped vee.
    [​IMG]

6. jmarston

jmarston

Dec 6, 2010
    @scrteened porch

For the paper phenolic, you might look around for sheets of gasket material at your local auto parts store.

Jack Black likes this.
  7. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks for a great idea I never would have thought of.

This isn't something I want to try to do in a half hour, because I want to like the result. I might as well take a little extra time and cut out three sets of washers in case I really like the result.
    Cut each washer to a diameter equal to the high side of the long axis of the original, numbering each one as I go; cut the slots, glue them up, file down the ridges, file flats on the sides of the washers to the measure of the short axes, and round off to the top and bottom. Or something like that. White marine epoxy because it's flexible and oil-resistant, and black shoe polish.

I don't know how old this one is, but Dixon of Hungary wasn't showing them on their website, last I knew.
    [​IMG]
    Needs a sheath.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I ordered a 1/4"x 4"x4" sample of a marine building material in black. Impervious to everything and perfect for every application. Some kind of polyethylene, I think. $2 for the sample and $7.90 for shipping.

Here is possibly my favorite metal-mounted gaucho knife:
    [​IMG]

9. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Just got in a great rendition of a Kephart from JK Knives, all dressed in Ebony. It is a delight in the hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's really nice Dylan, congratulations :) :thumbsup:

I enjoyed carrying my Boker Savannah at the weekend :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Beautiful, Dylan and JB, ebony and ram's horn are hard to beat. I just received a beautiful rhombic puukko from off our own exchange here on BFC by the talented jelio, with fraxinus excelsior handle.

[​IMG]

12. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Jeff, I also have a similar Jelio, and they are just awesome art. I don't know if I can bear to use it.

13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, it may be a while before I can bring myself to cut with it. It's just so perfect!

14. Bobbybirds

Bobbybirds

Aug 17, 2012
    Here is a beauty little fixie my good friend Paul Mason gave to me a couple years back. Perfect for field dressing rabbits!

[​IMG]

15. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    LF&C Universal over unmarked. I was afraid the unmarked might be tempered too hard, but it has as much flex as an Old Hickory slicer.

16. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I suddenly thought of this one while drooling over puukkos on the bay. I've had it since the early 70s or so.
    [​IMG]
    It had a short cross guard with ball finials that dug into my knuckle, and a bird's head pommel that cramped my grip.
    Not quite a puukko, with its slightly curved back, but pretty close, and a good old knife whatever you want to call it. Solingen Germany is all it has to say for itself.

17. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    I like that knife, and I like what you did to it. Good show!

18. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Just got this Ruana (Mark and Mike Hangas) Steelhead with ironwood inserts. Some stains on the 1095, but I will be getting some blood on it anyway. This one will be used. r2 (Medium).jpg

19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you.
    It would be a good one to have up your sleeve or down your sock in one of those English country houses with a murderer running loose.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  20. Mack

Mack Sailin' a reach, before a followin' sea... Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Filet knife or sticker? I'm not exactly sure yet but I know that these G.L. Drew blades will get tons of use.
    [​IMG]