Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

I got this Schrade Walden H-15 a few months ago, and it just feels perfect. I was thinking I need to find this in stainless (sorry, I like stainless), even if it's Chinese. This Western Mark I Navy is actually pretty close, except for the handle.
gEhVwYx.jpg

But that Schrade's handle- I'll have to find a way to reproduce it exactly.

I got this Schrade Walden H-15 a few months ago, and it just feels perfect. I was thinking I need to find this in stainless (sorry, I like stainless), even if it's Chinese. This Western Mark I Navy is actually pretty close, except for the handle.
gEhVwYx.jpg

But that Schrade's handle- I'll have to find a way to reproduce it exactly.

Id I'd love to see what you come up with.

Oh and since you prefer stainless, if you decide to get rid of the schrade let me know.

Id I'd love to see what you come up with.

Oh and since you prefer stainless, if you decide to get rid of the schrade let me know.
Actually, I do have a 10' or so by 4" or so drive-belt that would yield a plethora of leather washers. 1/4" paper phenolic would work fine for the flared ends of the handle (have to get some, but it's cheap, except for the shipping, so I'll have to get something more so I can feel better about the shipping).
I can try it first on one of the flat-grounds, so I don't mess up my only hollow ground dropped vee.
Yf5Q9pL.jpg

screened porch screened porch

For the paper phenolic, you might look around for sheets of gasket material at your local auto parts store.

Thanks for a great idea I never would have thought of.

This isn't something I want to try to do in a half hour, because I want to like the result. I might as well take a little extra time and cut out three sets of washers in case I really like the result.
Cut each washer to a diameter equal to the high side of the long axis of the original, numbering each one as I go; cut the slots, glue them up, file down the ridges, file flats on the sides of the washers to the measure of the short axes, and round off to the top and bottom. Or something like that. White marine epoxy because it's flexible and oil-resistant, and black shoe polish.

I don't know how old this one is, but Dixon of Hungary wasn't showing them on their website, last I knew.
BWrqanI.jpg

Needs a sheath.

Last edited:
Jeff, I also have a similar Jelio, and they are just awesome art. I don't know if I can bear to use it.

Yeah, it may be a while before I can bring myself to cut with it. It's just so perfect!

I suddenly thought of this one while drooling over puukkos on the bay. I've had it since the early 70s or so.
Lxt1GJm.jpg

It had a short cross guard with ball finials that dug into my knuckle, and a bird's head pommel that cramped my grip.
Not quite a puukko, with its slightly curved back, but pretty close, and a good old knife whatever you want to call it. Solingen Germany is all it has to say for itself.

Back