Let's see your good old basic fixed blades, Bowie's, Stickers, etc.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sunnyd, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I see a plan coming together for your next DIY project/Xmas present! :D ;) Though I'm not sure I still have it! :D :thumbsup: I'm thinking about getting one re-handled though! :cool: :D :thumbsup:

That's pretty cool :) :thumbsup:

No, it's like the sort of thing you do going through brush with a machete, or through limbs with a sword ('cos we do a lot of that here! :D ). Sort of like a chopping knife I guess. It was funny seeing the guy using it in that bushcraft video. If he saw guys using them on construction sites here, he wouldn't have thought twice about hitting it with a hammer, which is the way they're mostly used here. They're tool-box knives that people absolutely beat the heck out of! :thumbsup:

2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
  3. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    This is an old picture of the biggest Western I have. W46-8

[​IMG]

Duckdog, hornetguy, Bloefield and 3 others like this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    A HUGE bowie not of my making. The maker sent it to me with the blade still wrapped in blue tape and no edge, to build the sheath and frog for his customer. Once he gets it back he'll finish the blade and handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The accents are water buffalo leather.

Duckdog, Travman, Bloefield and 4 others like this.
  5. edbeau

edbeau

Jan 20, 2006
    After my earlier post, I took a picture of my biggest Western W49 K with my second biggest Western W46-8 N.

[​IMG]

6. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    That is one elegant knife.

7. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm another one who has not been into knives long enough to have any old ones. Here are 2 that I have acquired in the past month or so. TOPS Prather Bowie and the TOPS Outpost Command. I have always loved Bowie's so this won't be my last one.

[​IMG]

8. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie

Mar 29, 2014
    That is a beautiful sheath.

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Thank you!

10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    At last!
    [​IMG]
    Whoever designed the 165, it's amazing that everything is so right for so many people.

11. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    image.jpeg image.jpeg This is a Buck Custom Shop BG-42 Bowie with an Elk handle.

12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
  13. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - yip...........as we'd say in here lill ol' England - it aint arf bad, mate ;)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

knowtracks and Peregrin like this.
  14. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I’m glad you both like it, even though in some places it’s considered a dangerous weapon. I like to stand behind a tree. When a deer comes running by, I hold the knife out (tip up) and gut him on the run. I obviously have a fantasy life because there are no trees large enough to conceal me.

15. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    In terrain like that, I bury myself next to a game trail and grab the game's feet as it comes by, then bite or knife it, depending on how deadly I feel and how deadly the game is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  16. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I use a tomahawk to hunt rabbits,I kick'em up out of the brush and wait until they're at a full run. Then I throw the tomahawk right in front of them,that way they run into the handle and knock themselves out. No ruined meat that way.;):thumbsup:
    Perhaps we should start a tall tale thread:D:thumbsup:

17. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Classic leather handled knives are still being made and are nicer than ever. Redmeadow "Serrano".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is a Solingen Olsen 13 inch Bowie styled Hunter, in my years of collecting I have only seen one other 13 inch Olsen with this Turkish Clip Styled Blade and Factory File Work and that knife was in ruins - the Blade has not been modified in any way, you do see only now and then the 10 inch versions of this Knife, but never have I seen another of this bad Boy other that that one- many years ago now that was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Great little Stag Mark Jobs Fixed Blade- Hard out Kitchen worker this little fella!

[​IMG]

20. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    These are pretty well fixed and traditional, I think? This fellow at Mainline Forge hammers them up out of ball peen hammers. tommy1.jpg tom1 (Large).jpg