Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

You've got your own Jamboree going, Buzz :eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Fine specimens...what sacrilege are you talking about; that's earned and gorgeous Wabi-sabi;)

You've got your own Jamboree going, Buzz :eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup: Fine specimens...what sacrilege are you talking about; that's earned and gorgeous Wabi-sabi;)

That’s fine wabi-sabi that digs into my hand, every time I grip the knife. A big old scratchy bunch of ouch. It’s gotta go.

The question is what to change the covers to. Stick with traditional jigged bone? Something ultra-rugged like canvas micarta? How about sawcut bone? Or do I go for broke and get some fat stag?

That’s fine wabi-sabi that digs into my hand, every time I grip the knife. A big old scratchy bunch of ouch. It’s gotta go.

The question is what to change the covers to. Stick with traditional jigged bone? Something ultra-rugged like canvas micarta? How about sawcut bone? Or do I go for broke and get some fat stag?
rag micarta or Russian bog oak...ya baby ! sometimes the break is in the wrong spot

40075287173_36c58686f4_b.jpg

I cringed when you mentioned Micarta Buzz but then thought mmmmm?

But for me it would be Stag it’s going to be rehandled anyway so will never be original. Stag would make that knife really stand out.

I love your Remington. It has such wonderfully pocket worn bone.

Gevonovich Gevonovich and Campbellclanman Campbellclanman - You can see my quandary. I almost feel like I should break free from the traditional Remington jigged bone, and try something different, since the knife won’t be “original” anymore.

Micarta and stag are my front runners right now. I feel like Remington would have used Micarta, if it had been a viable and known cover material back then, since its toughness is a natural for a knife that will be abused by kids and hang loosely from a belt. And stag is just the creme de la creme of cover materials, which seems so fitting for a knife with the level of artistry and manufacturing quality that an old Remington represents. Choices, choices, choices...............

I had a couple decent auction site finds recently. One is a Girl Scout knife which is a two blade one so maybe not appropriate here but I found it interesting and figured it counts. The interesting thing to me is that the bolsters and liners are both aluminum, I hadn’t seen that before.
613A50F1-B88C-4A64-A513-1F5116D90A1D.jpeg
The other one is a scout knife in the more traditional sense I guess. I had some opinion questions about it though. First it has a fairly large chip out of the handle by the center pin. My question is whether to repair it with some epoxy or leave it as is. I should probably state that I would like to start using this knife. The other issue is that when the punch is open the blade moves over and gets in the way of closing the punch as seen in the picture below. As I see it I can either try to bend the blade over so it doesn’t get in the way (which may just break the blade) or I can file down the tang of the punch so it pushes the blade over as it closes. The blade also has some wobble so I will probably pean the bolsters to tighten it up and I have had this straighten out uncentered blades in the past so I may not have to do either. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions from their own experiences.
Edit: also I suppose I can just not do anything and push the blade over a bit if/when I actually use the punch.
7EE6F77D-A150-4FB9-8D98-EE8A1547CC30.jpeg
2BD71A78-1669-4564-9B0F-208E7552E067.jpeg
8404624A-7617-4834-8E49-6567198A7038.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a couple decent auction site finds recently. One is a Girl Scout knife which is a two blade one so maybe not appropriate here but I found it interesting and figured it counts. The interesting thing to me is that the bolsters and liners are both aluminum, I hadn’t seen that before.
View attachment 1071584
The other one is a scout knife in the more traditional sense I guess. I had some opinion questions about it though. First it has a fairly large chip out of the handle by the center pin. My question is whether to repair it with some epoxy or leave it as is. I should probably state that I would like to start using this knife. The other issue is that when the punch is open the blade moves over and gets in the way of closing the punch as seen in the picture below. As I see it I can either try to bend the blade over so it doesn’t get in the way (which may just break the blade) or I can file down the tang of the punch so it pushes the blade over as it closes. The blade also has some wobble so I will probably lean the bolsters to tighten it up and I have had this straighten out uncentered blades in the past so I may not have to do either. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions from their own experiences.
Edit: also I suppose I can just not do anything and push the blade over a bit if/when I actually use the punch.
View attachment 1071588
View attachment 1071585
View attachment 1071586

I’d think that the Girl Scout knife totally counts. It’s a really interesting one.

I’d be inclined to do some sort of repair on the Ulster cover. Since the center pin helps to hold the whole knife together, I think it’s smart to keep that pin nice and tight. Maybe even shim it with a custom fitted piece of wood or brown micarta that slips underneath the pen. Sand it to fit, and epoxy into place.

As for the fit issues, definitely tighten up that blade wobble first. It may be just enough to move the blade back into the proper position. If not, I’m betting that you could put the blade in a vise, between some scraps of leather, and gently crink the blade back to where it should be.

I’d think that the Girl Scout knife totally counts. It’s a really interesting one.

I’d be inclined to do some sort of repair on the Ulster cover. Since the center pin helps to hold the whole knife together, I think it’s smart to keep that pin nice and tight. Maybe even shim it with a custom fitted piece of wood or brown micarta that slips underneath the pen. Sand it to fit, and epoxy into place.

As for the fit issues, definitely tighten up that blade wobble first. It may be just enough to move the blade back into the proper position. If not, I’m betting that you could put the blade in a vise, between some scraps of leather, and gently crink the blade back to where it should be.
I threw it in some vinegar for about 20-30 minutes to get rid of some of the rust, then peened the bolsters to tighten up the blade. That just got the blade out of the way enough to close the punch without it catching on the blade. After that I put it in the vise to crink the blade a little as buzzbait suggested it now has nearly perfect centering. Thanks buzzbait. The next step will be to epoxy the chip in the handle. I have also noticed a crack running from the shield and a very small chip by the liner near the bolster. I’ll super glue the crack and may or may not epoxy the chip, it’s only cosmetic so it’ll depend on how the chip by the center pin goes.
550DB807-EC20-4405-B04C-A28A374F9AE3.jpeg

I threw it in some vinegar for about 20-30 minutes to get rid of some of the rust, then peened the bolsters to tighten up the blade. That just got the blade out of the way enough to close the punch without it catching on the blade. After that I put it in the vise to crink the blade a little as buzzbait suggested it now has nearly perfect centering. Thanks buzzbait. The next step will be to epoxy the chip in the handle. I have also noticed a crack running from the shield and a very small chip by the liner near the bolster. I’ll super glue the crack and may or may not epoxy the chip, it’s only cosmetic so it’ll depend on how the chip by the center pin goes.
View attachment 1071701

Brilliant work!!! I’m glad everything turned out well.

Three blades, USN issue.
I can't seem to find these very easily or often.

WW2%2520USN%25203-Blade%2520Scouts%2520Open.jpg

Definitely a hard model to find, especially in good condition. I’m still on the search for a Camillus version for my collection.

Your Imperial is sweet!!!! Awesome jigging.

jsdistin - Nice duo there- Hey a Girls Scout always has to fit in here matey! cool Featherweight, and those Ulster DwightDevine's are always - always a nice knife!

Nice Three Bladers there Leghog matety- man those are nice Knives!

Nice Western Phil!

I scored another nice Scouts Prepare Peach Seed Schrade Cut Co. Walden the other day- just so I could mix it up with my others and see just which one is the tidiest, its been cleaned for sure but a deecent Knife overall, the earlier era Schrade Peachseed Handles are dead Mint. small things like the tidy Bail- rather than a chunky bail as you see on some knives make big differences, I will post an update on the scouts as soon as I can to get some photo's!

Also as part of my Uncle Albert hunt ( Barlow to go ) my good friend Paul managed to find two dead MINT Old Timer Scout Knives -Paul thank you once again my friend- Photos to follow my friends!

Back