Let's see your yard sale/flea market finds

Thanks guys, the hatchet is for sure an Estwing. I found a picture of the same hatchet, leather stamping and all, with the estwing label. The cruiser and the Estwing were just laying in the garage of a 70 yr old family friend in Oregon. They belonged to her father who was a logger back in the day. I'll update with some pics when i get them cleaned up.

I have a little Estwing like that. Is it 12 inches long or 12 and 1/2. the ones 12 inches are kinda rare and the Estwing version of a mini. If the steel butt cap on the end of the handle isn't too rusted that is where estwing puts the mark at.

You really brought home a nice haul.

Welland Vale was basically True Temper of Canada. They enabled the company (AFH) to penetrate into Canada, where not a lot of other american axes makers really could, besides Warren, and Mann to some degree.

The Black Prince - that is/was a line from Welland Vale. A somewhat common line for Canada, but not too often seen nowadays. (could be moreso in canada, I am not sure) I have been looking for one of those for some time now. Thats a nice axe day overall I would say.

Was the Walters axe company very prevalent manufacturer during their active years up in Hulls Quebec? I have two axes from them and they are my favorites. Mine are just stamped Walters but I have seen others stamped with black diamond and Walters on the opposite side.. I think they were in business until the mid 1960's, although towards the end they were rebranding Hults Bruks axes from Sweden.

Ha, Black Diamond. I picked up a two dollar axe in a axe finding spree thats currently getting rehandled in my garage, that said Walter on one side and Black something on the other. Couldn't figure it out till I read your post.

Also, I picked a really tiny standard axe on the same spree that has a partial marking. Swe(d or r)e... is all thats legible. Anyone know what this is without pics? Its blue is all I can say for additional info.

Was the Walters axe company very prevalent manufacturer during their active years up in Hulls Quebec? I have two axes from them and they are my favorites. Mine are just stamped Walters but I have seen others stamped with black diamond and Walters on the opposite side.. I think they were in business until the mid 1960's, although towards the end they were rebranding Hults Bruks axes from Sweden.

Hey Gpig

I see more walters marked axes up here than any other mark. They were in business from the 1850s till the 1970s Heres an interesting little piece on Quebec lumbering that mentions the Walters axe company. I've seen another site that's more detailed but I can't find it. http://outaouais.quebecheritageweb.com/article/when-axe-was-king

Regards

Robin

Hey Gpig

I see more walters marked axes up here than any other mark. They were in business from the 1850s till the 1970s Heres an interesting little piece on Quebec lumbering that mentions the Walters axe company. I've seen another site that's more detailed but I can't find it. http://outaouais.quebecheritageweb.com/article/when-axe-was-king

Regards

Robin

Pick them all up and sendthem to me :D the two that I have are among my favorite and most used. Very very nice axes..

Pick them all up and sendthem to me :D the two that I have are among my favorite and most used. Very very nice axes..

I have a couple both 3 pound heads with a real convex top to bottom shape for hardwood felling. Most that I see are just beat. I believe the plain Walters mark is the last mark they used and used for quite a long time. I'll look for that link tomorrow and post it here if I find it.
Here's another link with a bit more detailed history and a couple of the earlier heads http://www.leevalley.com/en/newsletters/Woodworking/1/2/collection.htm
Regards

Robin

Ha, Black Diamond. I picked up a two dollar axe in a axe finding spree thats currently getting rehandled in my garage, that said Walter on one side and Black something on the other. Couldn't figure it out till I read your post.

Also, I picked a really tiny standard axe on the same spree that has a partial marking. Swe(d or r)e... is all thats legible. Anyone know what this is without pics? Its blue is all I can say for additional info.

I have a little one pound head that says "Super Banko" on one side and "Made in Sweden" on the other side. It had remnants of blue paint on it also.

I have a little one pound head that says "Super Banko" on one side and "Made in Sweden" on the other side. It had remnants of blue paint on it also.

Hi Trailmaker
I have a 3 1/2 lb banko, but just marked made in Sweden, also painted blue. I great soft wood felling axe, concave to within 1 1/2 from the handle.

Regards

Robin

I have a little Estwing like that. Is it 12 inches long or 12 and 1/2. the ones 12 inches are kinda rare and the Estwing version of a mini. If the steel butt cap on the end of the handle isn't too rusted that is where estwing puts the mark at.

You really brought home a nice haul.

Mine is 12 inches. Thanks for the tip on the butt cap. I brushed away some of the dirt and rust and sure enough there was the Estwing stamp.

Here's a few pics of the cruiser after a bit of clean up. The linseed oil had a dramatic effect on the handle. I put it next to the little "Super Banko" with a new handle for comparison.

IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg

So, I picked these up from Craigslist...does that count?? $25 for both.

Kelly Perfect and an 8lb True Temper maul (US made). Both in awesome condition. The guy had them at his cabin, but they've just been in storage for the last 10 years.

P1050932.JPG

Soon to be razor sharp:
P1050930.JPG

P1050923.JPG

Yep, it's upside down:
P1050926.JPG

Appears to be the original haft:
P1050929.JPG

P1050925.JPG

Thanks!

Matt

So, I picked these up from Craigslist...does that count?? $25 for both.

Kelly Perfect and an 8lb True Temper maul (US made). Both in awesome condition. The guy had them at his cabin, but they've just been in storage for the last 10 years.

P1050932.JPG

Soon to be razor sharp:
P1050930.JPG

P1050923.JPG

Yep, it's upside down:
P1050926.JPG

Appears to be the original haft:
P1050929.JPG

P1050925.JPG

Thanks!

Matt

Nice axe. As mauls go I guess a nice maul, but they are not very exciting. I would have bought them for $25

Whats a few more pics among friends :

SAM_0139.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

SAM_0140.jpg

Small spoon for refernce on the Craftsman salesman sample hatchet.

Operator, I kinda hate you...but just a little. I mean that in the best way possible.

Back