Let's see your yard sale/flea market finds

Hi Guys,

I've never ventured in here before, but I had a little time on my hands and was perusing BF, saw this forum and remembered I have some pics of an axe that I picked up off of e-bay maybe 5 or 6 years ago and I thought you'd might like to see them:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The axe was not described as being made by Scagle, so it went for less than it should have. It also had a unique nail puller, but I didn't keep any photos of it and subsequently sold it so I can't re-shoot any :-(

Best,

Hi there, was that axe ever authenticated as a real William Scagel? I'm a bit confused by your post, do you still own the axe?

Best regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

If memory serves, Buddy Thomason looked at the photos and was convinced. Buddy owns a few Scagels. I put it back up on e-bay some months later advertising it as a Scagel and the buyer was a pretty well known Scagel collector. It didn't come back to me.

Best,

Bumpity, bump-bump. This thread is a lot like the "it followed me home" thread. Some of you fellers may not have seen this one.

Wish me luck, tomorrow is the annual repeat of the massive garage sale that started this mess for me. One year ago at this sale, I bought my second and third axe. I now have somewhere over 40, maybe 50, I have no idea. Anyway, tomorrow should be fun, I hope. Maybe I'll find that one...my grail axe...the last one I'll ever need to buy.........yeah, as if! ;):D

This sub forum is a great place. Thanks, fellas. Take care.

Tomorrow is a big yard sale day, the first biggy of the season. I have high hopes.:D

Regards

Robin

Go get 'em, Robin!

Here's to some killer finds on some fine, old tools!

We'll assess the damage tomorrow! ;)

ETA: Oh, s*@&!!! I just realized that my camper shell is not on the pickup! :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know ANYTHING about axes or hatchets... but I just picked this one up from a local second-hand store. The shaft seems to be home crafted and was probably cracked, because of the duct tape, but I can easily get a new shaft at a local hardware store. This thing costed me 2 EURO, which is about 2.55 USD, so I just could not leave it there no matter the condition.

It only has one marking, the number '800', nothing else. You can't have an axe too many, I guess:).

I just took some quick pics, since I stumbled upon this amazing topic.

Size comparison with Delica 4:
7lkz.jpg

Other pics:
33pbhy1.jpg

2rmxgrd.jpg

2sb4wn4.jpg

Probably something cheap, but I guess it will do its job just fine.

That would be it's weight in grams. That 1-3/4 pounds to an American. It would do nicely on a 26" (660mm) handle.

It's a fine looking little axe. Lot's of life left in her.

Thanks for the information and tip on the handle! I'll look into that size.

I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a lot more value in use out of it than the 2 euro it cost me.

Thanks for the information and tip on the handle! I'll look into that size.

I'm pretty sure I can squeeze a lot more value in use out of it than the 2 euro it cost me.

I have an 800 gram kitchen axe made by DANKRE a German company that looks exactly the same.

Great splitting axe.

Regards

Robin

Last edited:
Here are some from last weekend - plumb victory boys axe, Sager cruiser, Kelly perfect double bit and plumb victory single bet feller.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337460481.472055.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337460497.373205.jpg

Hope this works......from my iPhone......

It was a Great first day of yard saleing. This is such a sweet little axe, it makes me very happy to have her. Marked Weland ontario true temper black prince ;-)) It has such a narrow poll that the mark strike ran off the edge. Owned by 3 generations of one family, the grand father and father used it strictly for whittling whirly gigs the son just kept it clean over the years. Sharp as a razor. The big double bit (swamper?) seems full with a light coat of surface rust only, no pitting, un marked.

Regards

Robin
7229187786_74738c1b48.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7229180746_d0f2d4ea67.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
7229173770_b8de3099ae.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Flea markets are often good to me. I recently picked up a Spyderco Jess Horn (discontinued in 1999), a Cold Steel Bushman, a Kershaw Scamp, a Wenger Esquire, and a Marble's Trout/Bird knife, all in new/like new condition for $25. I'll probably end up parting with the Jess Horn simply because of its value and the fact that I'd never carry it. The Bushman may end up going on a pole as a practical "toy". :p

-EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't notice I was in axe/tomahawk/hatchet area. oops.-

Last edited:
I have an 800 gram kitchen axe made by DANKRE a German company that looks exactly the same.

Great splitting axe.

Regards

Robin

Thanks, could you post a picture of the stamping in the blade? Google only shows low res pics on dankre...

Today's haul:

P1080066.JPG

Collins Pulaski, cruiser, and single bit.
P1080068.JPG

True Temper Kelly Perfect and under the paint is a Kelly Works Vulcan.
P1080071.JPG

Zenith by Marshall-Wells
P1080072.JPG

Clockwise from 4 pound hammer, Craftsman, "Sweden" stamped hatchet, "US" stamped hatchet, unmarked boys axe.
P1080073.JPG

P1080075.JPG

File, raker gauge, swage tool, drawknife.
P1080079.JPG

P1080076.JPG

P1080077.JPG

Thanks, could you post a picture of the stamping in the blade? Google only shows low res pics on dankre...

Here's the marl on the DANKRE, as you can see it's a partial strike of the mark. I haven't been able to fund much on DANKRE but I believe they have been in business for many years. Judging by the low price of the new ones I would imagine that the quality has gone down since these two were made.

Regards

Robin

7229581000_d0cb80def2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This Vaughan Carpenter's Half Hatchet followed me home yesterday. It cost me $5.
Carpenter's hatchet 001.jpgCarpenter's hatchet 003.jpgCarpenter's hatchet 002.jpgCarpenter's hatchet 004.jpgCarpenter's hatchet 008.jpg
It has a small amount of rust to be removed and needs sharpening. I could not get a good picture of the grain alignment, but it is perfect.

Howard

Back