Lets talk GEC!

I think you might like my TSA-approved Super Beer Scout Knife. :thumbsup:

C3zFYaI.jpg

Double Crown Lifter! Perhaps for those really tricky tops, BOTH openers could be deployed at once :D Doubt if it meets TSA requirements...that bail looks like it could be used as a garrotte OMG!;)

I'm surprised they're so hard to find, considering they have no Comb....;)

Joking apart, they're not only beautiful to look at but feel impressive in the hand, right balance in particular. Very struck on the Tidioute Greenbone one I have and the Northfield Rosewood. But that Stag Charlie;) Top of the tree:cool:

I like the practicality of an endcap. Drop a bare head on concrete and cry when the handle chips. Drop something that’s got an endcap or a bolster on each end and it is probably unscathed, or maybe has a scuff at most (which can be buffed if you so choose, or adds character if you do not.)

[QUOTE="waynorth, post: 19988216, member: 1409126[/ATTACH]

That ebony is the nicest GEC knife I've ever seen!

Out of the dozen or so GECs I've got, my ebony 56 gets the most pocket time, and that whittler inspires sinful amounts of envy...

Too bad it's difficult to erase the word "knife" from the shield,
Barrett!!??:D
That would make it a pure Beer Scout;)

With the BSA’s penchant for filing trademark disputes, you’d probably have to take “Scout” off there, too. Just “Beer” on the shield. :D

Double Crown Lifter! Perhaps for those really tricky tops, BOTH openers could be deployed at once :D Doubt if it meets TSA requirements...that bail looks like it could be used as a garrotte OMG!;)

It wouldn’t be much of a knife, but it’d make one hell of a bottle opener. ;) :thumbsup:

I got reminded of it in another thread, so I figured I'd throw it up here for discussion. Has anyone else every gotten one of those horrible gritty knives that just won't clean out no matter what you do?

I've had this GEC 43 since they came out in 2018 and no matter how many flushes and cleanings I give it, it's always just a little gritty, I've probably opened it thousands of times now. But still it sometimes hangs up when closing. and the pull has gotten just barely noticeable softer. Anyway here is a few pictures,
mIn9Jbil.jpg

w4IvDhJl.jpg

Heres a picture of the tang of the knife, it almost seems as though it's wearing and getting torn up, is the spring to hard or is it just gritty and I've failed at cleaning it enough or something I haven't thought of? Just curious what you all think, regardless I like the knife and carry it often, just interested in your experiences.
MtoBMeOl.jpg

I got reminded of it in another thread, so I figured I'd throw it up here for discussion. Has anyone else every gotten one of those horrible gritty knives that just won't clean out no matter what you do?

I've had this GEC 43 since they came out in 2018 and no matter how many flushes and cleanings I give it, it's always just a little gritty, I've probably opened it thousands of times now. But still it sometimes hangs up when closing. and the pull has gotten just barely noticeable softer. Anyway here is a few pictures,
mIn9Jbil.jpg

w4IvDhJl.jpg

Heres a picture of the tang of the knife, it almost seems as though it's wearing and getting torn up, is the spring to hard or is it just gritty and I've failed at cleaning it enough or something I haven't thought of? Just curious what you all think, regardless I like the knife and carry it often, just interested in your experiences.
MtoBMeOl.jpg
If it were me, I think I'd contact GEC, send them these pics, and just ask them their opinion.

TheJon TheJon I have a particular pair of jean shorts that, for whatever reason, always gets something gritty in the joints of my knives when I pocket them. I've laundered them a bunch but it just won't go away (the shorts, not the knives). Have you noticed this phenomena with anything else? If that was your sole carry knife, it might be hard to sniff that out. (I realize the low probability this is your sole carry knife, considering the forum and the people who gather here, but it's worth a thought.)

My #35 would "catch" kind of when I was closing the blades for a while, but recently I've noticed it's gone away completely. I've had it for ~2.5 years.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but my strategy for flushing a knife uses dish soap in the joint, working it back and forth, then under luke warm water while working the joint back and forth. Finally it's a trip to the air compressor to blast it dry thoroughly. oil liberally afterward!

Good luck!

I have a Washington Jack that needed great flushing to ease up. But after that, the formerly sharp snap on the pen blade when closing is now a touch lazy, there’s a tiny brass shaving caught between the liner and tang. Kinda annoying but, eh, who is going to seriously fault a knife that pretty? I don’t worry about it.

TheJon TheJon I have a particular pair of jean shorts that, for whatever reason, always gets something gritty in the joints of my knives when I pocket them. I've laundered them a bunch but it just won't go away (the shorts, not the knives). Have you noticed this phenomena with anything else? If that was your sole carry knife, it might be hard to sniff that out. (I realize the low probability this is your sole carry knife, considering the forum and the people who gather here, but it's worth a thought.)

My #35 would "catch" kind of when I was closing the blades for a while, but recently I've noticed it's gone away completely. I've had it for ~2.5 years.

I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but my strategy for flushing a knife uses dish soap in the joint, working it back and forth, then under luke warm water while working the joint back and forth. Finally it's a trip to the air compressor to blast it dry thoroughly. oil liberally afterward!

Good luck!

I've thought about that, but it isn't the only one that I carry, but maybe something is just really stuck up in there, it doesn't bother me to much, just curious if anyone has experience anything similar to that.

If it were me, I think I'd contact GEC, send them these pics, and just ask them their opinion.

That's true, I haven't done that, it never bothered me enough to contact them. But maybe I'll do it out of curiosity. :rolleyes:

Special thanks to @r8shell for my new pocket buddy; she heard my cry upon the wind and she’s a straight shooter. Already on my person and freshly sharpened for a personal touch. Guess I owe waynorth waynorth due thanks for setting this up! I really enjoyed the message on the tube. I looooove this Barlow! Sheepsfoot mains are super fun. My first Barlow, and I finally get why they’re so attractive.
D39IZsl.jpg

well they finally posted the Beer and Sausage...
Regardless of how I feel about them... it's a knife.
Or really a multitool.

Back