Lets talk GEC!

Speaking of the Mudbug...
The more I handle the big Mudbug, the more convinced i am that they need to build the smaller #71 model Bullnose with a lockback and thinner handle slabs. It would be such a great all-around knife and I'm sure it would sell out quickly. I'm honestly very surprised that it hasn't been built yet.

I love the #71, and don’t really mind the thickness of the covers… but I’d definitely buy a lockback with slimmer covers, too! :D :thumbsup:

I love the #71, and don’t really mind the thickness of the covers… but I’d definitely buy a lockback with slimmer covers, too! :D :thumbsup:

same! I’ve sold my Mud Bug because it was too large and sold my Bullnose because the covers are too chunky. Wish there was something right in the middle.

same! I’ve sold my Mud Bug because it was too large and sold my Bullnose because the covers are too chunky. Wish there was something right in the middle.
If you want a thinner Bullnose you need to get one from 2015 or earlier...plus the action is top rate. But don't tell anybody else cause theyre already too high.:(

Speaking of the Mudbug...
The more I handle the big Mudbug, the more convinced i am that they need to build the smaller #71 model Bullnose with a lockback and thinner handle slabs. It would be such a great all-around knife and I'm sure it would sell out quickly. I'm honestly very surprised that it hasn't been built yet.

Didn't some guy modify a 71 for you to make it slimmer? Hm. . .:p

A lock back 71 with some slim handles would be pretty sweet, though.

After all the talk on here about the 97, I decided I'd pull the trigger and get one. I received my first a few days ago from a fellow member. I wanted to make the first one a good one so I went with the Waynorth SFO. Man is it a nice one. It actually doesn't feel too big in the hand, the 23s feel like a brick, so this one is pleasantly light comparatively.

I know we've talked a lot about the pull on these. And I read that the Waynorth SFOs had the best pull of the bunch. I can report that the pull is not too light for me personally. I'd still say a 5. But it's not as bad as my 29s. I want to eventually pick up the flat ground version to carry.

To add more info to the 97 pull debate. I reached out to the Old Dog himself (Tony Bose) and had a quick chat with him about how he builds his. He told me he builds his strong, as "a knife that big isn't safe with a weak spring." He talked like the historical examples he has held have been on the stronger side. Anyways, enough narrative, here's a photo of the black beauty.

2dGuFmgh.jpg

It looks like the Smith & Sons website got hijacked. If you google for them and then click on the link it gets forwarded to a site selling things that are not knives.

. He told me he builds his strong, as "a knife that big isn't safe with a weak spring." He talked like the historical examples he has held have been on the stronger side. Anyways, enough narrative, here's a photo of the black beauty.

2dGuFmgh.jpg
I totally agree with what was said here. IMHO, GEC really failed on the pull strength with my sample, a Beavertail. Good on Charlie if he got a stronger pull on his SFO:thumbsup: I like the thinner grind rather than the saber grind, I am liking the knife nonetheless, but it's use will be mostly light duty kitchen stuff.

It looks like the Smith & Sons website got hijacked. If you google for them and then click on the link it gets forwarded to a site selling things that are not knives.

my bookmark works and if you copy and paste the link it works so it looks like a google issue

I called them before the hurricane and left a message telling them about it...like they need another problem right now.

This may seem radical, but I would like GEC to come out with a bladeless knife.

Maybe a 35 or 74, just the body of the knife, no blades or tools. This would be TSA approved, great for kids, and never needs sharpening.

Back