Lets talk GEC!

Completely random but I wonder does anyone have all the examples of the #26 Baby sleeveboard (or baby sunfish?) pattern?
I was just thinking it's a wonderful little pattern that I would like to see again. I haven't been keeping up with them but if they ever run it again I would try to get several different ones. If I ever get the chance I will try and put together a collection of a run from a certain year. Thanks for reinvigorating the collector habit in me!
I think that would be a worthy quest! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I don't have a #26, but I've always admired those little sleeveboards.

Great Eastern Cutlery
Great!
East... Easter...
Raising... raising... raising! The bar.
Knife edges... create from subtraction... adds to quality of life.
I look at my knife and see my reflection.
I see it... I see me. Cuts to my core.
It’s not a shovel but... can you dig it?
Thank you.
*rapid snapping of fingers*

knife content:
VPT11na.jpg
I typically don't "get" poetry, but I sure can dig a Churchill! :D:thumbsup::cool:

- GT

So no 35s other than the BS knife? That's a shame. I was hoping for a cattle knife or a two-blade single spring of some sort. And now we're back to single-blade patterns? Very disappointing. I'm going to have to get my fix somewhere else. Darn.

4 different 35's were made for a knife distributor in Ohio.....

I know. I don't enjoy the lolly scramble for overpriced special orders. If GEC makes another knife that I want, I'll buy if I can. Until then, I have more money for other things. Mixed blessing, for sure.

I get your point - I don't care for lolly scrambles either. That said, I wouldn't call the recent sale of the M&G knives a lolly scramble - there was plenty of time to acquire one or more (granted, "plenty of time" may be a relative term). Their knives have sat on a shelf for over a year in some cases.

Also, M&G has been criticized in the past for being overpriced - particularly in comparison to the general run that they are being made alongside of. I've likely alluded to this before but when you factor everything that goes into an M&G release, I would be surprised if they made any money at all off of them. M&G consists of only two guys - and neither of them do this for a living, especially since they only do one release a year.

They have to coordinate with GEC to ensure a good reproduction of a classic M&G frame (complete with blade configuration, etches, shield choice and other details). The recent 35, for example, had details not found on regular runs - rat tail bolsters and a reproduction of an authentic etch. I am not certain what is all involved with regards to the coordination efforts but I can be assured that it simply wasn't a phone call,

"Hey, Bill! How are ya now?"
"Good, and you?"
"Oh, not so bad. Hey, listen, can you include "The Trapper" in your upcoming #35 production? You'll find it in that ol' stack of M&G catalogs - you know the one. Thanks, bud! Let me know when it's finished"
"Sure thing, bud, I'll get right on it"

Never mind all of the special packaging that has to be done on receipt of the knife. I am pretty sure GEC doesn't do that for them and if they do, it comes at a cost. After all of that, they still have to list them on the website, take orders, and then prepare them all for shipment. I see no way where they are making more than just a few dollars per knife at the most.

Anyway, that ended up being more verbose that I intended. Simply put, I agree that lolly scrambles are lame - I do not agree that the M&G knives, in particular, were overpriced.

Well I’m getting down to four GECs, five if I can eventually find a sheep foot Barlow I can afford. Maybe Great Eastern Cutlery will do another run this time. I dither about Mike’s Dom but all the screws put me off. I’m too picky about traditional knives I guess.

It looks like I'm down to 9 GECs left.

Well I’m getting down to four GECs

I can see me getting down to about eight... a few that I LOVE and a few gifts/GAWs.
The gift/GAW knives will be mine forever and I love each and every one of them.
#56s and #66s are my favorites and i have a couple of each.

M&G has been criticized in the past for being overpriced

They have to coordinate with GEC to ensure a good reproduction of a classic M&G frame

rat tail bolsters and a reproduction of an authentic etch.

Never mind all of the special packaging that has to be done on receipt of the knife.

You made some great points and I think we can see where a lot of the xtra cost comes in. :cool::thumbsup:

I can see me getting down to about eight... a few that I LOVE and a few gifts/GAWs.
The gift/GAW knives will be mine forever and I love each and every one of them.
#56s and #66s are my favorites and i have a couple of each.

My nine. All have quite a bit of use on them.
The drop point 73 is probably my favorite single blade GEC. These two are a locking and non-locking version and the only two I have left.
Stag 78 clip point. I love this model, had about half a dozen of them at one point, sold all of them but kept the best one, this stag.
Stag 47 viper. This knife just has too much character.
44 Buffalo Jack in micarta. The 44 is very similar to the 78, I think Randy Bell said they used the same blades as the 78 clip. I'd probably have sold this one if it was new but these 44s don't go for all that much so I'll hang on to it. It's a great user.
62 Carver that I won in a GAW from @glennbad. I don't use it much but it's an interesting little knife.
81 stag. Got this off ebay pretty cheap because it's been downright abused. I love that beat up look though. I do wish the springs were a little bit stiffer.
38 Farmer Jack in micarta. Another slightly unusual pattern but I dig it. Had several and sold them. Kept this one because in the past somebody did a number sharpening it so not sure I'd want to sell it. It's a fine knife though.
The Waynorth 93 Lambsfoot. It was hard not selling this one, considering what the secondary is these days. I love the knife though so I used the heck out of it so no collector would pay a stupid price for it, so now I don't feel so bad keeping it :D

This seems to be turning into a GEC culling thread :eek:;)

How low can you go..?:D

I'd probably get rid of a few of mine but you try selling them in Europe or sending them back to the US with no tracking (it costs about 50 USD here plus other postage :poop:)....people keep telling me they're 'worth ' so much..:rolleyes: Bit like The Ancient Mariner " Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink" :D

Back