Lets talk GEC!

All steel construction by GEC offers a very tight gap free set of back springs. anything with a low brass content is superior - much prefer my original run of Eurekas to the more recent brass lined ones.

Of course, there's nothing to stop them making an all steel knife in stainless ;) except the desire.....

Bullnoses and I think their larger brother are all steel too, most F&F knives?

I would love it if "all steel" construction was used more often. From a user standpoint, I enjoy how it ages and bears the marks of use far more than I do with brass and nickel silver. Also, there is a bit of an old world feel to all-steel as well - hearkening back to a day when iron fittings were a bit more the norm on the working man's blades.
I agree with everything Dylan said above. :cool::thumbsup:

Does anyone have examples of "smooth natural bone" on a GEC knife they care to share? I am getting excited about my smooth natural bone 85, and want to see what that bone looks like. I am assuming its same as smooth white bone, but you never know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
When they announced the 19's they originated as smooth natural bone and then changed to black and teal natural bone. I know they have some 23's in smooth autumn natural bone so it could still be up in the air what the 85's will look like.
IMG_E0680 by jacob dudley, on Flickr

When I was a wee lad, some older gents told me that a knife with brass liners and bolsters was good, a knife with brass liners and nickel silver bolsters was really good, and a knife with steel liners and bolsters was garbage. I don't know if that was just a couple of guys opinions, or a popular view.

I don't know much about antique knives, but my impression (perhaps tinted by that early influence) is that the antique knives I see with steel fittings tend to be the lower-end knives. On the other hand, I wouldn't turn down a GEC (or a T.A. Davison!) for having steel fittings! I think I still prefer brass to steel (I'd rather have titanium if we're modernizing things), but many of the new steel slipjoints seem really nice to me.

-Tyson

When I was a wee lad, some older gents told me that a knife with brass liners and bolsters was good, a knife with brass liners and nickel silver bolsters was really good, and a knife with steel liners and bolsters was garbage. I don't know if that was just a couple of guys opinions, or a popular view.

I don't know much about antique knives, but my impression (perhaps tinted by that early influence) is that the antique knives I see with steel fittings tend to be the lower-end knives. On the other hand, I wouldn't turn down a GEC (or a T.A. Davison!) for having steel fittings! I think I still prefer brass to steel (I'd rather have titanium if we're modernizing things), but many of the new steel slipjoints seem really nice to me.

-Tyson

I think this is a correct assessment. Steel or Iron is generally cheaper than nickel silver and brass so it would certainly make sense that it would be used on lower end knives. If it wasn't properly maintained, it would be prone to "freezing", as moisture getting in the joint would rust things up and then you had a useless knife. This problem, though not completely removed, was largely abated with brass liners.

There is a heft and coolness to steel fittings that I find wholesome and comforting so I do like seeing it used on knives. With proper attention, they make for a very sturdy knife.

Bull Busters and Bull Noses have steel liners but brass pins and lanyard tubes. The recently made F&F #62 Pocket Carvers have brass liners and pins.

Shot down in flames :eek::D You are of course, totally correct, I forgot the pins n' tube thanks for the correction. What about other Farm & Field knives?

A 15 Scout I have in the Glo worm handles is all steel I think and no brass pins.

Initially, brass may have been more costly but that soon altered and it's soft and easy to work and stamp out compared with steel or iron stuff, so it could be a cheaper easier option. Remember that aluminium was once a very scarce, expensive & prized knife scale at first.

It can be very decorative, but it stinks...:D and it can react with steel to produce corrosion, then as Old Engineer Old Engineer rightly points out, it can with some people react with the skin acids and soon stain White Bone or Stag knives with green foam (verdigris):poop:

But once again, it's a matter too of aesthetics (fortunately as this is a major lure of Traditionals) brass can enhance many scales/patterns, many enthusiasts like it a lot. This one doesn't ;) this one has never owned a Buck 110 or replica knockoff, never will..... all good though.

Well my friends, let me share a bit of my joy :)
I have paid the invoice for my “All Steel” :cool: Cocobolo boys knife :thumbsup:
Hope it makes the trip to Canada safely!

knife content
uIh0XKs.jpg

Last edited:
CelloDan CelloDan a great haul congratulations:thumbsup: wish you could have got me one too:D I love a Spear blade and would really like one of these but it's not going to be possible here in Europe due to the gone in a second sales.

I think it will become a total favourite of yours :cool:

Thanks, Will

CelloDan CelloDan a great haul congratulations:thumbsup: wish you could have got me one too:D I love a Spear blade and would really like one of these but it's not going to be possible here in Europe due to the gone in a second sales.

I think it will become a total favourite of yours :cool:

Thanks, Will

Good one. I want to see photos when it arrives. They look fantastic.:cool::thumbsup:.

Very happy for you Dan . I will be watching for your pictures after arrival my friend .

Harry

Gracias mis amigos !
I really appreciate your kind words.

I was not expecting the email this morning with the offer for one. I had written at the very beginning to a few dealers and left it at that. I had no luck in 3 lotteries, the reserve system crashed on me and no luck on a few drops for the TC's and/or this one ( on one of them I had it in the cart but I was not fast enough).

So after giving up on the idea of getting one it seems like it's happening.

I will definitely treasure this little gem and expect it to be a good companion an many walks for many years to come ..... and of course pose for many pics :)

knife content
Ry1SRFk.jpg

Last edited:
I know I read someone saying they were going to do this and take a pic.... so don't hate me for taking your idea haha. It's been quite a Monday, apple is needed.

Nhwi7IC.jpg

Very cool pic my friend :thumbsup::cool:
I will have a Royal Gala Apple now too :)

Back