Lets talk GEC!

I'm sure they will make the 15 with a Wharncliffe it would only make since. They have done most all the other popular blades. Would be a cool one I think and make a lot of people happy. I was happy about the Sheepsfoot blade as that one is my favorite.

yup, i have a single blade sheepsfoot and it's my favorite out of the bunch also.

So what would be the functional difference between a wharncliffe and a sheepsfoot? The shape and size of the cutting surface is the same. :confused:

i guess it would just be for the look. :p i didn't know the size of the cutting surface is the same. good to know.

They did, in the Tom's Choice barlow.

ge18-2394_290.jpg

You're correct too in that that they were a good seller. Sold like hotcakes. So did the spear points and clip points. Hard as heck to find one actually for sale anywhere though - Sold Out.

edited: oops this is a sheepsfoot. :eek:

you're right, they're nowhere to be found. i feel lucky just to have the one i have.

i guess it would just be for the look. :p i didn't know the size of the cutting surface is the same. good to know.

As long as the frame size is the same, the blades would probably be the same length. They wouldn't have to be though.

you're right, they're nowhere to be found.

Weeks ago when I first learned of the spear point TC barlows, I spent literally hours online trying to find one. Never found a single spear point, but those darned clip points and sheepsfoot blades were everywhere. :D

That's one of my favorites too!
In an effort to consolidate I'm going to merge this one with the existing "Let's talk GEC" thread. I'll try and be consistent. It'll be a judgement call on which get merged and which don't. If this is an issue for anyone let's keep it off the boards, please shoot me a PM.

Someone here on bladeforums posted pictures of a #15 sheepsfoot that had been reground to a wharncliffe. It looked great, but I'm not sure where to find the picture.

That did look pretty good. I sold and traded my clip and sheepsfoot Charlows, only have the spearpoints left. Hoping to see those daddy barlows come from GEC, and a wharncliff from Charlie and GEC.

That #09 looks great. Peanut size, 2 blades (including my favorite coping), single spring...perfect "off day" carry. As long as they don't stick a bail on it and pinch the bolsters, I'll have to get one of these.

... as long as they do stick a bail on it and pinch the bolsters, I'll have to get one of these. ;)

a wharncliff from Charlie and GEC.

there is no wharncliffe blade being planned by Charlie that I know of. Charlie is planning some spey bladed and some razor bladed 15's. His current offering, the Diamond Jack, is a clip main with pen secondary.

GEC has lot of other wharncliffe options for example the model 48. I cant figure out how to search GEC's site for that blade option.

488213EC-EMB%5Blarge%5D.jpg

Are there any GEC #57 with a single blade? I've only seen them with two or more.

the only single bladed wharncliffe GEC currently makes is pattern 55 in northfield trim, that includes a liner lock. The handle is the same length as the Charlows, 3.5".

550113LL-autumn-gold-jig[1].jpg

the only single bladed wharncliffe GEC currently makes is pattern 55 in northfield trim, that includes a liner lock. The handle is the same length as the Charlows, 3.5".

Not True. They made the 72 Lock Back with a single Wharncliffe Blade. Just released last month.

The wharncliffe secondaries are genius!
How about making 25s, 15s, 66s, and a dozen others with shorter wharncliffe secondaries?!
Wharncliffe's make the whittler in me very happy.
And what's wrong with piched bolsters? (I love em')

They made the 72 Lock Back with a single Wharncliffe Blade. Just released last month.

good to know, please post a photo.

its not currently listed on the GEC store site. I know they also made a single wharncliffe 25, but its not on the site now either. (the GEC wharncliffe is more like a sheepfoot with a slightly longer curve, on a true wharnie the spine curve goes from the blade tip all the way back to the tang)

I did just learn of this new single bladed Northwoods (not GEC) "sheepcliffe" offering:

got mine :), and a big thanks to Greg at KSF :thumbup:

attachment.php

Kris

Last edited:
good to know, please post a photo.

its not currently listed on the GEC store site. I know they also made a single wharncliffe 25, but its not on the site now either. (the GEC wharncliffe is more like a sheepfoot with a slightly longer curve, on a true wharnie the spine curve goes from the blade tip all the way back to the tang)

I did just learn of this new single bladed GEC "sheepcliffe" offering too (also not on the store):

They've had multiple runs of the #72 with wharncliffe blade, several of which are pictured here.

The traditional name for a blade that was a cross between a Wharncliffe and a "sheepsfoot" was known as a "lambsfoot" - made popular by Taylor's Eye-Witness of Sheffield during the early 1900's.

Dirk

Weeks ago when I first learned of the spear point TC barlows, I spent literally hours online trying to find one. Never found a single spear point, but those darned clip points and sheepsfoot blades were everywhere. :D

That's because the recent run of TC Barlows was in the sheepsfoot pattern.

The 55 also came as Tidioute, I have one. The GEC #57 with a single blade would look nice. I like how the handle looks. It would be like a big brother to the 55.

Back