Lets talk GEC!

Quick qustion: I've seen some pictures of the recent run of #15 with cocobolo scales where there are quite visible black marks on the wood around some of the pins (or rather, pinholes). To me, it looks like tiny marks left from hammering but I'm not sure and usually it is by the same pin on both sides of the knife. Can any of you knowledgeable gents here explain what causes those black marks?

Pics for reference.
zs7AIgRY_o.jpg

YmRwe72d_o.jpg

Maybe the pin got hot while buffing and discolored the wood.

^^^ that's exactly what happened there. hafting or buffing got the pin too hot and it started to burn the wood.

It's nice to see a Production Schedule update - I was beginning to wonder. Seems like a little something for everyone in the months ahead - a niche pattern in stainless, a rugged workhorse for those who aren't afraid to get their knife dirty (can't wait to see a dealer try and explain an absurd markup on these :rolleyes:), and an elegant single clip blade pattern in one of my favorite cover materials.

I've no interest in the 89s and I've gifted away (or moved along) every one of the 71s I've had in the past so I'll be passing on those as well. I would very much like to try an 83 though, especially in Stag so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

After getting these two in the first quarter of 2021, I'm happy to sit back and watch for a while. I hope everyone gets what they want. :)
5tLZbje.jpg

Just to egg y'all on:
Here's a Tacosa with what I think they called a Drop Point blade:
EyKe2I0.jpg

3LBB9fx.jpg

Wait what new GEC knives how I order one who has them at the best price why are they so rare I am in the reserve list I didn’t make it on the list why do I always miss out why doesn’t GEC make more stainless knives is there a list of GEC dealers did you get the email it was in my cart then it was gone good luck in your hunt

Now back to the knives - they look good. Good choices, some classic GEC patterns are coming.

Why are all the latest GEC releases prime numbers? 89, 83, 71?

I am starting to think there is a mathematical message buried in these releases.

What is going on here? If I add them all together I get 243, which divided by 3 is 81, which is NOT a prime number. Not sure I will be able to sleep until this is solved.

81/3 is 27, so maybe the long awaited mini trapper will be a model 27? I think this is the correct answer.

the 83's look very appealing. the size and pattern seem promising!
I share john's desire for a true slip joint, but I could live with a lock. I grew up on locks because my Dad was too nervous to give a 9 yo me a non-locking blade. For a long time I only considered lock backs. Of course now I see it as additional clap trap that I don't really need, and it can have additional issues. These days my preferences are slip joint or fixed blade, and nothing in between.

... still won't stop me from seeing if an 83 comes my way.

the 83's look very appealing. the size and pattern seem promising!
I share john's desire for a true slip joint, but I could live with a lock. I grew up on locks because my Dad was too nervous to give a 9 yo me a non-locking blade. For a long time I only considered lock backs. Of course now I see it as additional clap trap that I don't really need, and it can have additional issues. These days my preferences are slip joint or fixed blade, and nothing in between.

... still won't stop me from seeing if an 83 comes my way.
I can see where your father was coming from with your propensity for randomly walking into counters and the like.;):D:p

I can see where your father was coming from with your propensity for randomly walking into counters and the like.;):D:p

Dad was a wise man; made wise by doing all the very same stupid things.
There's that apple/tree saying that applies, I think.

The one thing he was wrong about was carbon steel. Not wrong, I guess, but certainly imbued me with some ideas of knives rusting away in my pockets.
I regret not giving 1095 a try sooner- the edge retention on these GEC's is significantly better than the "Trusharp" Case knives that I grew up with.

Extremely good options coming up :thumbsup: Many are those who will be pleased :cool:

For any serious user or collector I'd strongly endorse an 83. Pleasing size, the Drop-Point is just right and no I don't concur with the desire for a spring back version, works really well as a locker and looker ;) I have a Northfield Stag in use and doubt a shieldless version would be better so that's not in the frame but a bone Northfield would be really welcome :thumbsup: Doubt I can get one from here though. This Purple Sage Tidioute is a much appreciated user- discreet in the pocket, very good blade length and it locks up . Go for these if you can!

BT8cJIc.jpg

In the Annual BF knife thread Charlie just dropped that Bill would be willing to do an 86 barlow for the forum knife, which means an 86 (barlow, too?) is also on the horizon.

In the Annual BF knife thread Charlie just dropped that Bill would be willing to do an 86 barlow for the forum knife, which means an 86 (barlow, too?) is also on the horizon.

I'm as giddy as... someone who's really giddy. That's very exciting news.

It does make me curious if they will come up with a special bolster stamp or if it will be generic like what they've done with the #25 Barlows in the past - lined, blank, or UN-X-LD. I really like the rendering for the proposed forum knife but I am also a sucker for rattail bolsters.

Interesting that they are doing 86s so soon after the last run and also equally interesting that we would be getting two #86 forum knives relatively close together - albeit two rather different versions of the frame.

It does make me curious if they will come up with a special bolster stamp or if it will be generic like what they've done with the #25 Barlows in the past - lined, blank, or UN-X-LD. I really like the rendering for the proposed forum knife but I am also a sucker for rattail bolsters.

Interesting that they are doing 86s so soon after the last run and also equally interesting that we would be getting two #86 forum knives relatively close together - albeit two rather different versions of the frame.
Given how popular the 86s were from the 2019 run I’d say he’s sure this will bring a desireable-sized order.

Back